1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

When does race really matter?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Namekian23, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I think this is important to know. When does race really matter? And how does diversity play a role in who we choose to be in our relationships, potential marriages, or even on a deeper level, our soul mate: the one person in the world who fully understands your inner feelings and thoughts and who will be with you for the rest of your life. Which is very rare. Besides low self-esteem, family responsibilities, and other stuff, finding the right one in the right environment is really tough. I'm 26 and haven't had a girlfriend yet.....But when you live in a place with little diversity it's hard. I live in a place where the population is 90% white. Don't get me wrong, I love white chicks and I'm Asian! And all other races too!! But you're dealing with so many barriers such as culture, family, etc. when you reach out to others beyond your own race. I'm do believe that interracial relationships work out just fine. But it's just how people(especially adults)judge you which makes me a little intimidated.

One time, I had an instance where I was walking through the mall with this gorgeous brunette chick who was in fact my job counselor and was only a year older than me. Then this white guy in his fifties gave me the dirtiest look as if saying "How could a guy like you be with a girl like her?" I'm average looking, but that incidence could mean a number of things that could be going through my head. I love to interact with girls and I have female friends from different ethnicities. But when it comes to relationships, it's a totally different story. Is it still possible for me to find a relationship in a place with little diversity? Has anyone experienced the same thing? And what are you thoughts on this topic?

2. ilovetyrannosaurusrex

ilovetyrannosaurusrex Fapstronaut

Man I feel the exact same, its good to hear I am not the only one. Also when it comes to how people view you I would not worry about it. Ever since I first went to school I was made fun of because I liked different things in a town full of sports fans (I got nothing against sports and cars but they just do not interest me much). I have learned just to be myself and if people are not happy with it well that's just to bad. Now when it comes to finding a partner, :confused: I am sorry I cant help. I have not had a date as of yet but I am always looking for her. I do have a little bit of advice thought, just be yourself and perhaps look for girls outside your "comfort zone". I believe that if someone looks hard enough they will always get what they are looking for, so I am sure one day you will find the one.

3. bandanana

bandanana Fapstronaut

Race should only matter when we choose to celebrate, embrace and take care of all kinds of them. It should matter when a group or person is segregated or neglected of certain things that the rest has because of their race.

I can only speculate that these are adults that grew up in a time where racism was an acceptable thing, or grew up with parents that passed on that racism, and never got out of town ever since.

Be proud of who you are and be proud of your heritage. I don't know about your community but there will are women authentically fascinated with men of a diverse cultural background. So embrace yours!

4. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Well said my friend!! That was very encouraging. I should definitely embrace who I am more. I know it's going to take time but I'll get there :D

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I understand where you're coming from man. It is tough. I guess when you focus on YOU, you take of yourself in terms of health, success, confidence, etc. it'll all come to together. Thanks for the encouragement man.

6. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

Interracial marriages are more likely to end in divorce-my parents certainly did.

7. eric_andre

eric_andre New Fapstronaut

id say family is the only thing that really makes me skiddish about race. i've always had friends and girlfriends from different races. but we all have those aunts and uncles (maybe even siblings or cousins) that don't want to see you bringing an "outsider" into the family. i think that's what makes it so hard for interracial relationships to last. but honestly i think interracial relationships are gonna be the only thing to stop racism. it starts to get pretty hard to hate *insert any race here* when half of your family consists of them.

then best way to put it is, the most of pure group of friends i've ever had are the ones that consisted of 4 or more different races.

something about only being around your race puts a certain pressure on you. like when im only around black ppl i feel pressured to act more "black". but if im around a hispanic, an asian, and a white person i can just be myself. race relations in america had a little setback this last year but i think that was mainly the media just toying with us like they usually do. idk, i really cant see kids being born now having problems with race unless their parents are assholes.

8. BahaiGuy

BahaiGuy Fapstronaut

When does race matter? Hmm. I'd say it doesn't. Culture matters. Culture is beautiful, and should be celebrated. Thus it matters, but not as a barrier. Skin color matters about as much as any other physical feature. I'm of mostly white but significant Native American ancestry. Toss a little African in there too. So, I'm light(ish) skinned (although the folks round here realize I'm not "pure" just by looking at me. Most think I'm hispanic). Most of my girlfriends have been white, just because that's the most common group around hear (mostly Scotts Irish from what I can tell). I have dated hispanics and blacks before, though, and I'll admit that their skin mattered to me as much as any other physical feature. I liked it. My most recent girlfriend was black, and I loved her skin. It was very aesthetically pleasing, just like her hair, her eyes, the shape of her body, her voice, all of it. I loved it. I also loved the color of my white girlfriends' skin, though. And hispanic. I've never dated an Asian girl, but I'll admit I find that skin tone pleasant too, when healthy, just like pretty much every other racial and ethnic group. But it wasn't the "race" that I liked. It was the skin color along with all their other physical features, combined with their personalities.

So, what is the point of this wordy reply? When it comes to romance, or really anything else, race does not matter. Because race doesn't actually exist. Skin tone and culture exist. Race does not.

9. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

Maybe you already read it guys, but in case you don't I'll link to it.

How to Get a Girlfriend.

I was the same except for the racial obstacle. I really hope it helps you. Don't hesitate to ask.

10. Steel Fury

Steel Fury Fapstronaut

With all due respect, the marriage of your parents is just one marriage in a world of 7 billion people. I don't know what the issues were in your parents' relationship, but they don't necessarily apply to every other interracial marriage or relationship on the planet.

11. Steel Fury

Steel Fury Fapstronaut

My thoughts are that if race matters, you're with the wrong person anyway. I mean, if a particular woman rejects you because of your race or because of what other people will think of you and her as a couple, then she probably wasn't good enough for you anyway. Seriously, quit worrying about what other people think. I've always said that what other people think of me is their problem, and none of my business.

Something else to remember is that most people are basically OK. I spent some time in Asia recently, and visited some pretty small towns where the local people probably hadn't seen too many white people. Overall I have to say the people there treated me really well. There may have been one or two people who thought negatively of me, but I wasn't paying them enough attention to notice. That actually leads to my next point. You'll always find what you're looking for. If you're looking for situations where race is a problem, you'll invariably find them. It's not so much a "law of attraction" thing as a reflection of the diverse world we live in. Your brain will naturally gravitate toward the things you've asked it to find, and if you're going around saying "race is a problem, race is a problem", your brain will naturally focus on situations that prove that. Start seeing the world more positively, and give your brain time to focus on that instead.

Finally, if you do happen to live in a small town where inbred attitudes make it difficult for you to find someone to have a relationship with, and if this is important to you, it might be time to consider relocating. It's not such a radical suggestion. After all, people often move away from small towns to find better jobs. Some people move away from big cities because of lifestyle issues. So moving to enhance your chances of finding love isn't such a big deal if this is something important to you.

12. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

You have an interesting point at the very end. I've thought about moving here and there. For me, living in New Hampshire was fine; the people here are actually really nice and there's little crime or any commotion. The more you move north, however, the much less diversity you'll encounter. However, if you go to Canada, well, it's a different story and I'm not planning to that. Anyway, I know that the Asian population down in Massachusetts is way bigger. I might look into going down there in the future. But as of now, I want to focus on myself as such getting college underway and finding a full-time job to support myself. Thanks for the advice man.

13. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I tend to do this often: Thank you everyone for your help and support! I appreciate it!! :D