1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

35 and Older Accountability Group

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by artifact, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Regarding loneliness, I don't know who said this originally but it is accepted wisdom in Christian circles that part of spiritual growth is letting loneliness turn into solitude. In both situations we are alone but in the first we have feelings of fear, isolation and separation, whereas in the second we are alone but at peace and still somehow connected.

So sometimes the problem isn't actually loneliness, per se, but fear. One way I try to work with feelings of loneliness is first to identify the fear that I am feeling, e.g. I am afraid that I will be by myself forever, or that everyone else will be happy but me. Next I try change the "tone" of my thought to a more accepting and peaceful tone. So if my thought was "Oh no I'm going to be alone forever" (fearful tone) I try and change that to "Yes, I might be alone forever, and that's ok." (accepting, peaceful tone). So the core content of the thought doesn't change (I will be alone) but the tone changes from fear to acceptance. I sometimes practice this by speaking it out loud too so that I can hear the change in tone for myself.

In summary, learning to deal with loneliness is realising that the things we are afraid of are not actually that bad at all.

Espi1971, afmjames, artifact and 3 others like this.
  2. Dear @Freeman82 many thanks for this insight into your thoughts and inpiration to turn lonelyness into solitude. That's exactly what I want to try to achieve. But until I read your post, I didn't knew it conciousley. You opened my eyes, now I know what I wanna work on activeley. Thanks!

discovery and Freeman82 like this.
  3. FreebirdFH

FreebirdFH Fapstronaut

Thanks so much!

4. FreebirdFH

FreebirdFH Fapstronaut

Just reinstalled the blocker on this laptop. used it again beforehand for like 3 hours for P and feel like absolute crap. I hate P for how it makes me feel. I should be looking for another job, not using P to avoid that stress. Eesh, i'm pissed with myself. Will just start again now and go for a streak 1 day at a time. Going for day 1 now. Would be happy with a 2 or 3 day streak as well.

5. KumarJK

KumarJK Fapstronaut

We all have to begin somewhere and as @Heretogrow mentioned, just Start @FreebirdFH.

On another note, I conquered my first weekend!!

6. Bettermylife

Bettermylife Fapstronaut

7. 2pres90

2pres90 Fapstronaut

I'd like to join if you haven't maxed out. I have 11 days behind me and am on Day 12.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. KumarJK

KumarJK Fapstronaut

Hope everyone is doing well on the challenge. Am staying home more these days but able to concentrate on studying by watching educational/technical videos. This would have been very hard before I joined the group.

9. Hello, are you wanting to join our group? Please reply to this comment if so.

10. It tells the number of nofap days you have when you post a comment. There should be a link at the top of this page that says "update day counter." Go there to set it up. If you can get it working we have a spot for you. :)

11. @Bettermylife and @2pres90, if you would like to join the group, I can add you to the waiting list. There are currently a couple of people in line ahead of you. I will tag you in a comment (watch your alerts) when we have an opening.

2pres90 likes this.
  12. @N M, we haven't heard from you in a while. Reply to this comment if your counter is up to date and you would like to stay listed in our member ranking.

13. I passed my first seven days of no-PMO (I updated m counter to no-PMO, it said: no-PM till today. But no. I chnange to the hard mode). The bginning was quite hard. My thoughts still circled around P and M. In fact more around M than P as I felt some urge to touch me - and after some days had some pain. Since some two days, the pain is gone and as well my thoughts are calming down. I signed up for the free newsletter in the NoFap Academy (you find the link on the homepage) and downloaded a small booklet. Both, the newsletter and the booklet, give some good advice how our brains work and how to changethe bad habits against good habits. I did this with starting to learn to play the piano - for a long time I had this plan, but sitting on the sofa watching P and doing M was easier. That was, what I thought. But sitting with a good video tutorial at the piano is as easy - and it brings a lot of joy. So I can strongly recommend: start with something meaningfull that is EASY and brings you joy!

14. That's a great step! Change your bad habits against good ones. Keep on...

KumarJK and discovery like this.
  15. Bettermylife

Bettermylife Fapstronaut

Please do

artifact likes this.
  16. This is big progress! You're making really good decisions. Delighted for you.

Deleted Account and discovery like this.
  17. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Love it!! Good luck with the big changes!! I so far have traded PM for learning how to cook. Way more practical!

18. Hi guys checking inn, still strong. I´m in Uruguay for those that asked. Yersterday a dog bit me while riding on the motorcycle, bummer, now I´m tied to my house and being alone, so yea, things got hard!!!!!!! everything is set up perfectly to fall, but I wont.

upload_2019-1-9_10-13-7.png

19. Bettermylife

Bettermylife Fapstronaut

20. Ugh. Relapsed. Back up.

I need to check in every day, probably every hour. I didn’t want to write this or even own up to it.

I hope everyone else is doing good. I’ll be your reminder to never give in.

I’ve reset my counter to zero but it looks like it’s taking its sweet time updating.

discovery and Freeman82 like this.