1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to improve negative body image for a skinny guy like me

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by helpmefromaddiction, Jan 10, 2019.

1. helpmefromaddiction

helpmefromaddiction Fapstronaut

My name is Brendan, i'm twenty years old. I dont work out because i dont eat and because i dont eat alot, i dont know how to cook in the first place after i buy my groceries. Im sick of people calling me out for my thin and skinny even at work where one time a customer and my coworker simply called me skinny/thin and i became speechless like i didnt have a response, i just continued working like it was nothing and ignored one or two. I want to gain weight for my resolution. I dont think i can because first of all i dont have a car, i cant cook, and no one can help me. My bigger sister and I have different goals in mind. She is trying to lose weight and im trying to gain weight and when ever we use to work out which we dont anymore. I feel like it doesn't benefit both of us i feel like it benefits her in the long run because she is telling herself and me what to do and it sucks. I can be conscious about my physical looks in the mirror because i hate it when people make a judegment. Do i have to accept myself to where im now and what im going to do about it in the future? Please tell me what my first step of action will be thank you.

TopEssayServices likes this.
  2. I had this problem too. I was 19, 6'8", and 190lbs. People called me stretch, yao ming, beanstalk, etc. I was working out for 3 years and didn't have anything to show for it. I went online and learned about the "bulk." My workout was fine, but the problem was I wasn't getting enough calories and I had little to no appetite. Many don't want to do a bulk because it's normal to gain fat too, but this is the quickest way to build muscle. Afterwards, when you have the muscle you want, you keep lifting to keep your muscle and lower your calories to lose fat. This is called a "cut." I found this thing at wal-mart called mass gainer and it is perfect for bulking. 4 scoops of this powder, mixed with water or milk, had around 1000 calories. I drank this 2x a day, with milk, and lifted weights 5x a week. I found the motivation to eat more too. In 3 months, I was able to gain about 30lbs. Some was fat, but A LOT was muscle. I was going to cut after, but things happened and I couldn't workout anymore and ended up losing it all. I'm trying to get back to that now. Hope this helps a little at least.

3. No one has the right to make personal comments about you like that. It's called bullying, and bullies are always cowards.

I know that it's difficult to ignore them, which is really what you need to do.

I don't know your co-workers, so I wonder what would happen, next time they make a comment, if you were to calmly and gently say something like, "Personal comments about someone's body are rude and unprofessional, and constitute harassment. I know that you weren't intending to be impolite, so I'd appreciate it if you would treat me with the same respect that you'd want me to treat you. Thank you." When they argue with you (which bullies do), just say, "I've said what I have to say," and say nothing more. Literally, ignore any further arguments as if they hadn't spoken. Speak to them only when they are polite.

As I say, I don't know them nor do I know where you live (their behaviour is illegal in some places), so you need to decide if it's appropriate for you.

Good luck, and please don't bulk up for other people (I'm also thin, and at my age it's a distinct health advantage). Bulk up only if you genuinely want to for your own, personal reasons.

4. RamboErecto

RamboErecto Fapstronaut

Listen here my friend:

The only trouble of being skinny is when you have a sedentary lifestyle.

You dont need to join the gym and be Arnold Schwarzenegger. You need to take care of your body and respect it. So, give him good food and do some exercise, you really need to do exercise.

In other way, your own body show people that you have an sedentary lifestyle. And thats all the trouble.

So, take care of your body ok?. Just a bit, dont need to kill yourself at training. Just go run 2/3 times a week and that will be enough.

KarmaWeaver and Mordobarn like this.
  5. FeelTheThunder

FeelTheThunder Fapstronaut

Firstly, I can relate, I've been fat, my friend's brother met me after a long time and said "hey you my bro's friend, you got fat so i couldn't recognize you"
    Start the journey to a healthy lifestyle by first accepting and loving yourself for who you are.
    Start eating more and try to get fat, fat people have ease in gaining muscle because they have muscles to carry all that extra weight, once you get fat, just get a bike / bicycle and go for a ride every morning, the nature's view is worth the ride early mornings.

6. ClaritySeeker

ClaritySeeker Fapstronaut

Hi Brendan. First, make sure you weight is healthy or not, I checked on the Internet and they say if your BMI is less than 18 then you are underweight. Type "BMI calculator" in Google to calculate it. If you're normal, then don't listen to anyone. If you're under, then maybe you need to gain some weight. Are you doing any drugs at all? Sometimes those can make people lose weight as well.

7. AwesomeBeast

AwesomeBeast Fapstronaut

I know it's really painful to hear unnecessary comments of other people like what you have experienced. I experienced it too, some people are just not sensitive about other people's feeling, if you don't feel comfortable about it, just speak your mind out and let them know that it is not helpful.

You can also use the pain to fuel you for change. Don't mind what they think about you, what's important is you are going to make the changes for yourself and not for anyone else. Doing NoFap is a good start as it prevents brain fog so you can think your goals better. If you are going to bulk up my friend just make sure that it would be on a healthier way and through something that's enjoyable. Having a healthier body now can benefit us in times to come. Good luck on your journey to health and wellness.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

Been there. I just had to accept it. We are ECTOMORPH GUYS!
    I did manage steal my wife away from her body builder boyfriend though. Even while fapping daily. Anyway..
    At 5'8" i wieghed aroun 125 when i was twenty. 150ish in my thirties and fourties. In my fifties i got up to 182lbs! I looked awful. I hated it! I told god one day if i ever got skinny again i wont ever complain about it again. I was just starting to get into a 36inch waist when i picked up some flubug. And l lost a few pounds and after the flu i cotintinued to lose fat fast. It finally stopped at 150lbs. That was already about a year ago. I wear 30in waist now. I feel and look so much better now that im skinny again. I push kids your age out of my way at work now. Slow pokes!
    Honestly the best thing you have going for you right now is the grace god has given you to learn the truth about PMOing. And getting it at a young enough age to where it will make a big difference in your life. Dont worry about your weight. Just keep your juice in your body.

9. Wladimir

Wladimir Fapstronaut

I used to be skinny as hell. The Day i first went into the gym i was 6'2 138 pounds=63 kilos i think. I lifted compound exercises twice a week. But i realized you have to eat like a madman IF youre a ectomorph. Lift weights and eat like crazy man!

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

I went to my doctor when i was in my realy 20s seeking to gain weight. He told me the same thing basically. He also gave me a week long diet plan and there was no way i could afford all that red meat.

Wladimir and helpmefromaddiction like this.
  11. The plus side of being an ectomorph though, is that you can lose the fat you put on after really quick.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

It’s a real tough one. Bigger people want to be thin and slim people want to be bigger.

Try the gym, not for others but yourself. You might like it bro!

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

I’m slim/athletic and dress accordingly. Fitted suits, fitted shirts etc have a look online for fashion for slim guys and you’ll find loads of stuff.

In fact you might be pretty surprised and even happy being slim!

14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

Take up jogging and cycling too maybe. For yourself. Youll feel better.

15. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    ask your self this, are you constantly sick, do you get sick more then the average person, do you have the energy and strength you need to complete your daily tasks at home an work, people consider me under wieght and that i should eat more, i ignore them, i get sick probably once every 3 years, i get everything done at work an have spare energy for hobbies and errands when i get home, but if you still wanna wanna gain weight simply get a wife, wifes are good at fattening their husbands

16. Wladimir

Wladimir Fapstronaut

Ectomorphs tend to be skinny but with broad shoulders. Just a little weight lifting and you will look like a walking V literally. Girls like slim but ripped dudes, trust me

Coolyorky likes this.
  17. I was like that like 8 months ago,until I decided that I will just FORCE myself to eat more. I started with a bit more ,then even more and I reached ~80KG from 68.
    I ate like 90 grams of nuts everyday besides the other foods. So I had an extra 600 calories just from the nuts,which were very easy for me to eat.
    Also did some lifting but kinda went low on it because of some,personal reason.

Wladimir likes this.
  18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

im living proof of that. I gave up soda and processed cake-like dersrts last year because my belly fat was ridiculously too large for my frame. I went from a 36waist to a 32 like in three months. I even had some blood work done to make sure i was okay.

19. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

I’m working long hours. I’ve been looking up home workouts. It’s amazing how much you can do with dumbbells/EZ bar etc even some body weight stuff

{Ananta} and Wladimir like this.
  20. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    i dont work out anymore i use to, it didnt make me look like mr ripped, i injured myself so i stopped working out, i was going to start up again at the 24 hour fitness club thats like 5 mins away but im already investing in my guitar an vocal lessons i dont want to go crazy with my money ,when i worked out i hit a brick wall it felt like i wasnt building no more, but this video helpped me realize why i was at a pause, if you want to work out it feels good but watch this video first ,watch it 5 times

Coolyorky likes this.