1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gillette ad that people are rightly pissed about.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ra's Al Ghul, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's your opinion.

Personally, I probably wouldnt have had an issue with the two kids messing around at that BBQ scene, unless it was going too far and they might actually get hurt.

But, I ALSO wouldnt have an issue with parents deciding they dont want their kids to do that, period, because they think it's wrong to promote that behavior. I dont think either way is evil or wrong or dangerous. Because again, roughhousing is not required behavior for male survival.

2. All I have to say is that the patriots play at Gillette Stadium

3. I edited the original message to ensure there are no more misunderstandings. :p Now that that's out of the way:

What also strikes me as odd are the men getting upset. The ad clearly attacks toxic masculinity, NOT masculinity as a whole. If a man is offended by the ad, doesn't that mean said man is part of the problem Gillette was attempting to address?

With that, I ask @Ra's Al Ghul to comment on why are people "rightly" pissed off about the ad.

4. I completely agree. And I saw this commercial as an attempt to highlight some of those societal conditions that have taught men to behave poorly and think it's okay. Not to say women dont have those things too, but they arent generally the same things.

MLMVSS likes this.
  5. Yeah, I concur. This seems like another case of the Internet trying to find something to be butthurt about.

6. Yes, exactly! Listen, I can understand a bit of initial irritation based on the current political climate, because I do believe there is quite an attack on men happening right now. But this ad, in and of itself, is not problematic at all in my opinion. It's attacking certain behaviors that might be harmful and encouraging men to not do those things and remind their fellow men not to do them either. I don't see what's wrong with that. If they actually thought all men were bad, then why would they even bother making the ad in the first place? Clearly they believe men are good and decent enough to be able to recognize their own flaws, or their friends' flaws, and improve them. I think part of the problem here is pride. People dont like to admit that they might not be perfect, so they get defensive. But it's fine. Nobody is perfect. We all have flaws, and it shouldnt be so dang offensive for someone to politely point them out and say "hey, if you're doing this, you might want to work on that, because it has been known to hurt people, and I dont think you intent to hurt people, because you seem like a good guy."

I would say that's likely, yes. If a man already doesnt harrass women or bully people or let their kids bully people, then there isnt much to be offended about. In my opinion, at least.

And as a woman, I see all these things as qualities I should have too. It's not like I'm over here demanding men be better while I'm doing all the things I'm telling men not to do. I'm already not doing those things either, so I know It's possible. I'm not out there harassing hot dudes or making sexually suggestive comments to strangers or encouraging kids to settle problems with their fists.

7. I think that's what the men getting offended are doing. They're placing this ad in the group they're normally used to seeing. Stuff like "all men are bad, masculine men ruin everything, etc" and assume, as @MLMVSS pointed out, that the ad is trying to say the same thing, that this ad is attempting to adhere to the trend of shaming men and so it is placed in the same group.

That, and it's likely that the men that are getting offended are the very assholes they're trying to address.

8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Most definitely. Unfortunately, many morals and life lessons either go ignored or people get outraged over them because it gets overly politicised. I’m not talking only about this one, but many other ones that the Offended Circus that can be against, like when people freaked out at Laura Ingraham’s (hope I spelt her name right) sponsors over her saying how that one school shooting survivor kid had bad grades. I don’t see much of a difference, other than obviously political beliefs.

Let me say though, since I forgot to add it... I don’t agree with Gillette deleting criticism of its ad, as it purportly was doing.

Exactly. Butthurt is a professional sport these days.

9. Agreed. They shouldn't have a problem with the criticism, they can just disagree with it. Especially if the critique gives them attention, why would they care?

MLMVSS and Deleted Account like this.
  10. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

In other words, some other razor companies (in which I won’t name) is having a sale now! Hahahaha.

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  11. Idk about them deleting criticism. I cant comment on whether or not that's true, but I sure saw a ton of negative tweets in response to the add that weren't deleted, so idk

MLMVSS likes this.
  12. diesel2256

diesel2256 Fapstronaut

It's another push towards feminist thinking. White men bad, everyone else good. I know, I've been force fed this repeatedly. It really gets old. But yeah, I prefer how things were in the past when the natural order was more aligned. If you like the present social dynamic, I feel sorry for you, but whatever man. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to fully discuss my political views on this forum as I've already been warned once. Apparently, agreeing with the Founding Fathers is "hate speech" now.

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  13. Nope, that's actually not at all what this ad is about. But okay.

MLMVSS likes this.
  14. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Lol, holyshit. Lots of butthurt and war on Masculinity in here! I give zero fucks, Masculinity is alive and well despite leftism and soy boys.

Deleted Account and EthanW. like this.
  15. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I'm not judging you if you like non threatening soyboys.

Deleted Account and EthanW. like this.
  16. Lol! funny... Why is everything always an attack on leftism and liberals? For once can you just agree with what the other side may be saying and actually if you think about it, the position of the ad is actually a rational, moderate position and as others have said what's wrong with not objectifying women and mindlessly fighting? Didn't we join NoFap to stop looking at women as objects?

17. Oh, that's right, you were the guy that was in favor of white supremacy. Or something like that.

MLMVSS likes this.
  18. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Dude What?! If you like leftist shit knock yourself out, but dont try to coerce me son or you got another thing coming.

19. How?

20. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

If you gotta ask how, youre willfully ignorant. Just dont bother me anymore, i ask nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.