1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading habits

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by LonerWolf, Jan 15, 2019.

1. LonerWolf

LonerWolf Fapstronaut

So I have over 50 books due to read in my drawers. Anyway, I read 30 minutes a day which is 8 - 12 pages depending on the book. Anyway which is better?

Read Book A day by day until its finished, go onto Book B and ready day by day until its finished and so forth.

Or Read Book A, then next day, Book B, then Book A, then Book C etc?

Which is better? Different books each day or 1 until its done?

2. I usually have about 3-4 that are in-progress at any given time. I read late at night, and I'll just pick one which I feel in the mood for instead of trying to be methodical about it. If there's one that I find I'm never wanting to pick up, then I put it back on the shelf and forget about it for now. Reading should not be a grind imho, instead it should be an organic, involving experience. So if one's not clicking then I let it go ruthlessly and move on to something else.

CH3RRY and HegHeu like this.
  3. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Agreed!!

4. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Read whatever u want to read and whenever you want to read . But sticking to one book works for me as reading itself is not the purpose rather enjoying the author views is. I like to dive in and satisfaction when you finish one book is awesome.

5. LonerWolf

LonerWolf Fapstronaut

Books are either education or stories, i have noticed.

6. D-Mystifier

D-Mystifier Fapstronaut

This is an unreal read, providing light on addiction at it's absolute worst...

https://www.amazon.ca/Realm-Hungry-Ghosts-Encounters-Addiction/dp/0676977413

"Turning to the neurobiological roots of addiction, Dr. Maté presents an astonishing array of scientific evidence showing conclusively that:

1. addictive tendencies arise in the parts of our brains governing some of our most basic and life-sustaining needs and functions: incentive and motivation, physical and emotional pain relief, the regulation of stress, and the capacity to feel and receive love;
    2. these brain circuits develop, or don’t develop, largely under the influence of the nurturing environment in early life, and that therefore addiction represents a failure of these crucial systems to mature in the way nature intended; and
    3. the human brain continues to develop new circuitry throughout the lifespan, including well into adulthood, giving new hope for people mired in addictive patterns. Dr. Maté then examines the current mainstream."

7. aniseprakash

aniseprakash Fapstronaut

Reading 3-4 books at a time? My god, people have become multi Taskers, seems I live in stone age. Kudos to you guys.

But as far as I am concerned, I read one book at a time - mostly in the nights (Half an hour on average). If it is a holiday I would indulge all my free time in reading.

Reading one book at a time helps me in concentrating in that book and concept alone. This also helps me in understanding the book better. I try one fiction and one non-fiction vise-versa.
    Through this method I complete 4 books a month on average (Based on the size of the book).

8. ReclaimedLife

ReclaimedLife Fapstronaut

I just read what i am interested in the most at that time. Sometimes its about buddhism, sometimes about tantra, sometimes about improving my communication skills, most books i read at the moment are some sort of self development-related books.
    I usually read them between 20min and an hour per day.

If i have a novel that i really like, like the jurassic park novels or "the alchemist", i sometimes read for half a day on when i have the time for it.

9. aniseprakash

aniseprakash Fapstronaut

Would love to read about Buddhism. A simple life would be worth a thousand birth :)

ReclaimedLife likes this.
  10. ReclaimedLife

You sound like you are quoting some famous buddist saying, but i am not that far in yet :S
    I am currently reading this one:

The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness, by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche.

The buddhist teachings really resonate with me and how i look at life.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Fapstronaut

Nowadays reading is a grind. When I was young (<12), I read every night before bed because I didn't have a computer or cell phone. I really enjoyed reading then. I had no problem going to bed on time. I think to make reading come easy, you have to cut out the screens.

CH3RRY and Deleted Account like this.
  12. aniseprakash

aniseprakash Fapstronaut

Hahaha... No dear friend. I am not into Budhism (yet). Love to learn about it :)
    The joy of living... Would you recommend it. I mean is it worth reading?

13. aniseprakash

aniseprakash Fapstronaut

Its all about our decision bro. If you make a strict decision you wouldn't find it difficult.

14. ReclaimedLife

Abso-fucking-lutely. He brings together buddhism and modern neuroscience and shows all the similarities and differences. I love it. The only reason why i am not constantly reading is that Rollo Tomassi is more important atm.
    That knowledge is imperative in becoming a man if you arent already one.

aniseprakash likes this.
  15. aniseprakash

aniseprakash Fapstronaut

Would love to start it. I will try the book after my current one bro

16. Retentionman

Retentionman Fapstronaut

Right now I'm reading like 8 simultaneously lol, but might not be the best. Probably one at a time

17. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I always have 2 books on the go at any one time - one fiction and one non-fiction - usually philosophy, popular science or something edifying and helpful. Biography, sometimes. I stopped reading fiction for years but took it up again just over a year ago, it really helps with emotions and empathy etc. as well as testing my concentration. Plus they tend to be more enjoyable than non-fiction.

Recently my wife and I have been reading aloud to each other too, either poetry or short stories. So that makes 3 books on the go...

I have a (flexible) no screens policy for about an hour before bed, which really helps my insomnia. So I unwind with a book. I'm not a fast reader though, I finish 1-2 books a month.

HegHeu likes this.
  18. ReclaimedLife

Since i am crossreading different books at the time and the aforementioned one is relatively exhausting to read because i have to be paying attention the whole time, it took a while to get into it.
    BUT
    I would highly recommend it. Just the first exercise i was doing helped me drastically in dealing with thoughts and emotions that pop up that stop me from being productive because they take over my thoughts entirely.

The way he discribes it is to start being a conscience observer of those thoughts.
    In his teachings, we are not supposed to fight them. Just look at them and see when they come and let them pass.

I made my own analogy to it. To me its like being behind a bullet and soundproof glass, and my thoughts come into view on the other side of the window, just like you would see the outside of a train's window, when you are looking out.
    The difference is, i am aware of what is see, but i actively practice indifference to those thoughts. I just accept that they are there, without attaching any feelings to the fact that they are there.
    The thoughts just are. Neither negative, nor positive.
    The second i "just listen" to those thoughts, they start to change my state of mind, mostly to the negative.
    But when i apply this technique i am tone down how bad those negative thoughts affect me, just by letting them happen and looking at them as an observer, who never judges them but accepts them as part of me.

Not going to lie, when i did that the first time, i started yelling and screaming of happyness, because i was able to effectively tune out the thoughts about my ex and it didn't affect the very good state i was in before.
    Fucking awesome.

19. aniseprakash

aniseprakash Fapstronaut

Wow... You have given a whole new idea bro. Would love to read the book. Will start once I finish the one I hold now.

20. I would suggest reading one of each type at a time, at least. For example, I can usually read one paperback fiction book, one audio fiction book, and one non-fiction book at the same time with no problems. But if I tried to read several paperback fiction books at a time, then every time I sit down to read I would have to decide which book to read, and they might get jumbled up in my mind.