1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Courage?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Immor, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Immor

Immor Fapstronaut

I'm struggling with an approach anxiety related problem, but that is not all of it, so please no approach related advice.
    How can I be more courageous? How do i not let fear stop me from doing what i want to? Any tips or tricks?

What helped me some, are these rough quotes:
    But it doesn't seem to be enough.

2. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

You could try this: make yourself ready for the worst outcome of any situation, that way only good comes out of things. Also, giving feedback to negative thoughts only makes them more powerful.

3. Personal Freedom

Personal Freedom Fapstronaut

Fear is a focus of the future. Keep your mind in the present, don't let it wander, know what you're doing, what's around you, and fear has no hold.

One good method for this is focal meditation. Take a mundane object, anything around you, and focus on it, describing it either in your head or out loud. Each time your mind wanders, start over. If you can make it to two minutes, you're doing well.

4. Immor

Immor Fapstronaut

Am I not giving feedback to negative thoughts when I imagine the worst outcome?
    But I will give it a try.

I've managed a bit over a minute. Now I have a headache :D
    The idea resonates. I've tried being in the now, and it does help. When I am really into it, it is like being on autopilot, whatever I think would be the right thing for me to do, happens. However knowing that, the fear swaps over to fearing being in the now to an extent..
    Definitely going to be experimenting more with this one.

5. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

It's a paradoxical thing. Have you heard the quote "hope for the best and expect the worst" ? that's what I am saying. Once you are ready for the worst outcome, it becomes less threatening, and you would have accepted it. I think this is more like thinking and reasoning but I agree with Personal Freedom's suggestion, which is being in the presence. My most courageous moments in life were when I was living in the present moment, being aware of my thoughts, feelings, surroundings, and even other people's feelings. When you're aware of a thought you're showing that you are above that thought and whatever sense it is making, it's still a tool to be used at your leisure.
    And the good thing is you don't need to sit down in some pranayama, vajrasana, or lotus position and repeat a mantra. All you have to do is to be aware of everything happening on the outside world and on the inside. And have faith that a conscious mind makes the right choices without extensive reasoning, as oppossed to an unconscious mind which is the one that turns in to PMO urges, produces anxiety, and so on.

6. Immor

Immor Fapstronaut

Thanks KeenEye. I've never understood the quote in that context.

This makes sense to me now. Acknowledging I have fear may be true, but it is not helpful. I'm way better off with Eminem's "Not Afraid". Because, as far as the mind is concerned, whatever I believe is what is true.

7. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

Yeah, having a stance is crucial. A brave person acts bravely. A wise person acts wisely. That's also another point: if you act bravely even if you don't feel brave, you will start to become brave, and feel brave too! who is a courageous person, if not someone who has repeatedly chosen to be courageous in times when he felt courage was needed?
    Good luck bro!