1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I. A. Accountability group???

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by BB7378, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 3, Trappist (in)

Ordered the books.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. TryingHard2Change

TryingHard2Change Distinguished Fapstronaut

3. BB7378

BB7378 Fapstronaut

I've been in touch with a staff member to create a group for I.A., I sent a message on Wednesday and he got back to me today. He said he will set the group up and asked what it should be called. He said he hadn't heard anything about I.A. so I explained a little so he could see what it was about. I asked for it to be called I.A. 12 step group.

I was also thinking about timezones, depending where all the members are we could possibly do a once a week discussion where we are all online at the same time.

If there are any suggestions or other thoughts I am happy for everyone to have there say. I just think it would benefit us all to have a group like this and I really want to be a part of it.

B

TryingHard2Change likes this.
  4. BB7378

BB7378 Fapstronaut

5. BB7378

BB7378 Fapstronaut

Can I ask why it needs to be at least 10?

6. TryingHard2Change

TryingHard2Change Distinguished Fapstronaut

It's just a general rule that the mods have in order to create group on NoFap.

BB7378 likes this.
  7. BB7378

BB7378 Fapstronaut

Night 5 of my 3 I.A. dailies I share with my wife.

I have been liking doing this with my wife because it gets us sitting down together and really communicating about feelings. I betrayed my wife for our whole relationship, I was never honest and my outlook on her and other women was totally insane. So there are going to be times when we are talking about feelings where my wife is going to express pain and hurt and how she sees herself and me has changed so much from before she found everything out. I gaslight her for years always saying there was nothing wrong and turning the tables around on her. I have to accept things are like this because of my selfishness, always putting me first and never considering others. Especially my wife who I intentionally withheld myself from for all our time together when she was the one I should have been sharing myself with. It's on me, I need to be strong here and consider my wife and her feelings and that's what I'm going to do.

B

8. Another question might be
    if the group wants to be open or closed?

9. Br1 R1

Br1 R1 Fapstronaut

In, my books turned up a few days ago, just got 20 days to go on hard mode and a few more modules on the academy then I can devote time to this.

10. Br1 R1

Br1 R1 Fapstronaut

Sounds exactly like me, and possibly a lot of others on here. Well said, I feel the same.

11. Br1 R1

Br1 R1 Fapstronaut

I am on east coast Australia so I am 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, hope this doesn't cause too many problems setting up a meeting time.

BB7378 and Trappist like this.
  12. West coast of USA here.

A question of graphic used.
    This Michelangelo portion from the Sistine Chapel seemed interesting:

upload_2019-1-25_7-6-10.jpeg

No graphic is also excellent.

BB7378 likes this.
  13. Jon82

Jon82 Fapstronaut

Would definitely be interested but in the middle of something else at the minute and haven't got the books yet so have a bit to do before I could commit. Count me in though, will look at getting books over weekend.

BB7378 likes this.
  14. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Fapstronaut

I think it should be a closed group. I feel like we should have help people, but we can only really help people who want help. the first step would be getting the work books then joining the group. that way we can help coach people through the program cause it can be confusing.

Trappist likes this.
  15. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Fapstronaut

I was just thinking about you're complimenting your wife. I was doing my daily's and I remembered something that kenzi and I went through when we started. I thought I was giving really great deep meaningful compliments, but I wasnt really telling her the things I loved about her. for kenzi it was me just blabbing on about how "strong she is" , or how "great of a mom she is"... you get the idea. what she wanted though was real compliments. like how beautiful I think she is, or the little things she does that no other woman does or the stuff I notice about her that I truly find sexy, that's what she wanted. she wanted to know that she was the woman above all other women, not just another woman. so when you compliment your wife think of things like that or will make her feel like that. good luck

BB7378 likes this.
  16. "in"
    Not sure if that is what you meant but I would be interested in joining the nofap IA group.

BB7378 likes this.
  17. 0111zerozero11

0111zerozero11 Fapstronaut

As a single mother that is clinging to her last $, consider those that don't have the funds to just purchase books like you all that are established....
    Maybe your first step should just be men wanting help?
    Shouldn't we all pass it forward? Why should a step to some secret, closed group include $?

Exiting now

BB7378 likes this.
  18. BB7378

BB7378 Fapstronaut

Night 6 of my 3 I.A. dailies I share with my wife.

It was hard to listen to my wife's feelings last night and it was more of the same at times tonight during these dailies. That statement though " it was hard to listen". I guess it's a massive sticking point for PAs. I've seen it so many times, read about it so much. That defensive mindset kicks in and you really struggle to accept you've been so wrong for the entirety of your relationship. In my case it's most of my life. I had a rupture in my life and I let it affect me an unbelievable amount. This sucks, this is the last thing your SO wants to hear. It is not right, if you are in this mind frame your being selfish. I have to keep telling myself " no your wrong, being selfish is only considering you. Stop".

I was Grateful after the dailies my wife told me of her struggles with doing these dailies at this moment in time. I lied so much to my wife last year then the trust is none existant. I.A. exercises are supposed to bring you closer together. My wife is unsure whether she wants to be close to me again because when she is close I choose to hurt her. The only answer I have is to be a different person. To show my wife I've changed, that above all else she is all that matters.

I have said we can take a time out if that is what's needed. I don't want to force my wife into something she does not want to do. I have done that a million times over and I want nothing more to do with it. I will see how things are tomorrow. I know these feelings are in my wife because I put them there. I can never fully understand but I'm working on getting there. It's a long road but it's more than worth it.

B

Trappist and Br1 R1 like this.
  19. BB7378

BB7378 Fapstronaut

Can hopefully get the group up and running and then we can look into what's the best way forward with setting up some time we could all attend an online meeting. I'm U.S. Eastern time.

Trappist likes this.
  20. CowardlyLion

CowardlyLion Fapstronaut

In
    Yeah, you're right. Most 12-Step groups pride themselves on being available to everyone who needs help. That's why they have Table copies of the literature for those who don't have their own. They encourage people to buy their own books if they can, but it's never a requirement. Even the SAA Green Book is free to read on the SAA website. The group should be about support, and there can be a sub-section for those who want to work through the book. I know exercise books are a bit different than 12-step books (even though Doug Weiss and crew usually use them as part of recovery) but everyone who needs help should be able to receive help. Anyone who is not serious or disruptive can be removed.
    We could possibly set up a 12-Step type meeting/call. It will start with someone reading a passage from a reading aloud and then everyone takes turns sharing. You can also get current. If you need help with that kind of structure, I can point you in the direction of some SA and SAA calls that do it well. Those are on a larger scale, so we can have a smaller group here and be able to manage it fine enough.

BB7378 likes this.