1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Good people feeling entitled to getting what they want.

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by elevate, Dec 25, 2018.

1. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

No, you're not entitled to other people just because you're a good guy.

--------------------------

Let's say that the person you love the most has just been shot. He or she is lying in the street, bleeding and screaming. A guy rushes up and says, "Step aside." He looks over your loved one's bullet wound and pulls out a pocket knife -- he's going to operate right there in the street.

You ask, "Are you a doctor?"

The guy says, "No."

You say, "But you know what you're doing, right? You're an old Army medic, or ..."

At this point the guy becomes annoyed. He tells you that he is a nice guy, he is honest, he is always on time. He tells you that he is a great son to his mother and has a rich life full of fulfilling hobbies, and he boasts that he never uses foul language.

Confused, you say, "How does any of that fucking matter when my [wife/husband/best friend/parent] is lying here bleeding! I need somebody who knows how to operate on bullet wounds! Can you do that or not?!?"

Now the man becomes agitated -- why are you being shallow and selfish? Do you not care about any of his other good qualities? Didn't you just hear him say that he always remembers his girlfriend's birthday? In light of all of the good things he does, does it really matter if he knows how to perform surgery?

In that panicked moment, you will take your bloody hands and shake him by the shoulders, screaming, "Yes, I'm saying that none of that other shit matters, because in this specific situation, I just need somebody who can stop the bleeding, you crazy fucking asshole."

So here is a terrible truth about the adult world: You are in that very situation every single day. Only you are the confused guy with the pocket knife. All of society is the bleeding gunshot victim.

----------------------------------------------------------

If life was fair, I'd have everything because I work so hard and I'm such a good person.

The problem isn’t that life is unfair; it’s your broken idea of fairness.

Take a proper look at that person you fancy but didn’t fancy you back. That’s a complete person. A person with years of experience being someone completely different to you. A real person who interacts with hundreds or thousands of other people every year.

Now what are the odds that among all that, you’re automatically their first pick for love-of-their-life? Because – what – you exist? Because you feel something for them? That might matter to you, but their decision is not about you.

Most of us get so hung up on how we think the world should work that we can’t see how it does.

Our ideas of fairness are mostly self interest and hidden under the cloak of wishful thinking.

But reality is indifferent. You studied hard, but you failed the exam. You worked hard, but you didn’t get promoted. You love her, but she won’t return your calls.

---------------------------------

It's not fair / this isn't how it's supposed to be / I did all the right things... so why...

It's because they're simply not interested in you.

You're not providing them what they want.

If reality worked in a way that you have to be in a relationship with whoever is interested in you, you would be forced into many relationships that you don't want to be in. Example, if you're straight, but a homosexual person wants you and is a "good" person to you, then you're forced into a relationship with that person.... would you like that?

If you think after reading this that the solution is to start treating women badly in order to attract them, then you've missed the point entirely. Stop acting the way you think other people will like you for. Let go of the immature mindset of life not being fair to you.

2. I write that all the time in my journal on here its about being you and finding people that like you for being you and moving on from those who dont

3. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Yes. Most people are so desperate for the approval of others, but they don't value their own opinion of themselves. They don't have the necessary self esteem because they aren't doing anything they're proud of... because they're too busy acting like someone that they're not for the sake of being liked by people that don't like who they really are. It's insane.

jwitcher and Deleted Account like this.
  4. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I see this a lot especially in myself. I don’t want to be liked if it’s a version of me that is anything but me. You have to stick to who you are not what others want.

I hate this thing when people think they’re self confident when actuality they are not.
    What they have is actually group confidence, meaning they like themselves because other people like them. They can’t stand alone. They don’t have fucking confidence their a fucking people pleaser. If they all jumped off a bridge you would too asshole. People like that have it mixed up.

We fear being different, we fear being rejected, we fear not being valued, not being included in the group. That is why it’s so hard for people to be themselves. Ultimately it’s a weakness.

I couldn’t help but laugh at the story in the beginning by the way. Just imagining a guy saying “NO BUT IM NICE TO EVERY GIRL I MEET” in that situation is funny lol.

5. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

You may want to cite the Cracked.com article that's from...

6. iwillbestrong123

iwillbestrong123 Fapstronaut

eye opening to a certain extent.

thank you man

7. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

The point should be not to argue with randos on the street when you're SO is bleeding from a mortal wound.

Nobody cares. You get what you give, and if you give well then expect to get well, and if you don't then change your circumstances. Sure, people can take advantage of politeness, but then you need maturity in emotions, not a lack of expectations for success in life.

Knowing life isn't fair can drive you to improve what you have control over; I don't think it's immature, despite it being the mentality of immature people -- I think it is a misused survival mechanism.

0111zerozero11 likes this.