1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Abstaining completely from alcohol?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Angus McGyver, Feb 1, 2019.

Should I completely give up alcohol?

1. Yes, because it is worth the sacrifice

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No, drinking it once in a while (in moderation) won't hurt you

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Hello all fellow Fapstronauts! I think this was the right forum to put out this post (since I am trying to get rid off my last bad habits) so I get right to the point/issue:

Over the last few days, I have really reflected over and thought about abstaining completely from alcohol. This was a thought that popped up in my head recently as I have been working a lot with my psyche and subconscious mind and similar thought processes. As I have been able to give up such a hard and destructive habit as PMO, why wouldn't I succeed in giving up one of my last bad remaining habits? namely: That of drinking alcohol once in a while.
    I haven't been binge-drinking for 14 months now or have had any alcohol at all for three weeks and start to feel even better than I have recently (which I thought wasn't possible). The only thing stopping me from taking this step right now is that I can sometimes crave a glass of red-wine to Italian food for example, although I actually know it isn't absolutely necessary. But, when I consider all the negative effects alcohol have brought into my life over the years, (especially when consumed over levels of moderation), I am not so sure I would miss it if giving it up completely.

For those of you who have become teetotalers (i.e. alcohol-free), was it a difficult decision for you to take and how did you get over the occasional cravings??
    And, do you know some good (or even great substitutes) for alcoholic drinks?

2. MrMurk

MrMurk Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I haven't been drinking alcohol for over four years. De decision was very easy because I saw what I did to me in the past, in the now and in the future. However, the way through it was though. I had to give up my old friends. No more going out (I was 21), and many times very lonely because I had no other friends beside Narcotic Anonymous.

I wasn't addicted, but I would visit the NA-groups just to stay out of the drinking social circle, and to reinforce me with good habits. After two years I quit the groups and started to focus on improving my life.

I had many cravings. But I made it in my mind so clear that even when I felt awful yesterday and I saw a small bottle of wine, I said to myself "YIKES, NEVER!!!"

If you want to really quit, it's not in the how but in the WHY. If you know enough good reasons or even just one single good reason, you will figure out the how.

Pasta and a glass of water with lemon in it is a great combination by the way!

Angus McGyver likes this.
  3. The sun is the limit

The sun is the limit Fapstronaut

The last 4 months I haven´t drink alcohol and it feels really good. The reason I stopped: I have a bad dry cough and some things like carbonic acid triggers that cough really bad. I can imagine on a long term, to be not completely dogmatic: social meeting could be a reason to break the rule, if its rare. What I can compare: doing many years of intensive physical yoga with a beer or more per day on a regular basis including PMO and 3 years of bad physical workout (less yoga) but also less alcohol and no PMO. The best would to continue how I am doing now: no PMO , super rare alcohol and workout, which is the most challenging at the moment. I try to look on my iphone at the Stepz App: I try to get 10000 steps a day or an average over a week with 10000 steps. No alcohol gives you a much more sharper mind and focus. Really can promote: no PMO, no alcohol/drugs and some kind of physical workout. Also try to get some sunlight, fresh air and drink enough water when you are thirsty. Read a good book, and use less social media

4. i quit some yrs ago and towards the end of drinking was an easy decision to stop.
    AA is a great place for many to get sober. Some find things like
    Ginger Ale Soda to be a good interim replacement. time, faith and
    speaking with others who were in recovery helped cope with the cravings.

All the best!