1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

what happened to Joseph, why did he sold to Egyptians? how did he got escaped from there?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Zillion, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

I was barely know anything hence attending my first class of Christianity, now I know briefly regarding almost all the topics like hell and heaven, angels, gospel, crucifixion.

Also, I would like to improvise my knowledge and understanding over Christianity, and I`m committed to learn many things about Jesus as historic figure.

Ok let`s come to the actual post, I was reading about portions like Isiah, Luke where as a part of learning about concepts of Forgiveness and Non-retaliation.

so, why did he got sold to Egypt by his brothers, what is the notion of his brothers?.
    how did Joseph got escaped from the Egyptians?.

Why did Joseph considered trip to Egypt as an opportunity driven from the God?.

Then why did he forgive all of his brother rather seeking for remorse?.

Why there`s no significant reference of Joseph right after Jesus started missionaries in his age of 30?.

2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I'm not an expert on Christianity, but it sounds to me like you're mixing up the biblical Joseph son of Jacob and Joseph, step-father of Jesus.

3. bobross

bobross Fapstronaut

There is Joseph #1
    He was the youngest (11th) son of Joseph. His history begins in Genesis, chapter 37. He was his father's favorite, and his brothers we're becoming more and more envious. They wanted to kill him, but eventually sold him into slavery and faked his death to their father.
    Joseph was sold by the slave traders to an Egyptian officer at the Pharaoh's court. (Ch 39). There, he proved himself such a reliable servant that he essentially became the administrator of the entire estate. The wife of his owner began making advances on him, and when she tried to force him to sleep with her, he ran away. She got angry and falsesly acchsed him of trying to rape her, and he ends up in prison.
    While in prison, the Pharaoh has recurring, unsettling dreams. He tries to find a wise man that can interpret them (ch 41). Joseph ends up interpreting it as a warning that a period of great prosperity will come upon the land, followed by famine. He presented him a solution, and the Pharaoh put him in charge of overseeing the grain storage and future distribution. Joseph becomes from an imprisoned slave to being the 2nd most powerful man in Egypt, subject only to the Pharaoh himself.
    The famine was so great and spread that the people around Egypt were affected too, and went to Egypt to trade for the grain, including Joseph's brothers, sent by their fathers. (Ch 42). They come (including Jacob's youngest son, Benjami , born after Joseph). Eventually Joseph lets himself be known to them, forgives them for what they did to him, and everyone moves into Canaan. It is believed that from these 13 brothers the nation of Israel was born. These events are believed to predate the birth of Jesus by over a millenia. There are historical records mentioning Israel as a nation, and events predating the birth of Jesus by as far as year 1000BC (Iron Age)

As to why he forgave then, who knows. More than 13 years passed since they sold him into slavery.
    His trip to Egypt can be seen as a blessing, given that he ended up 2nd only to the Pharaoh himself, living in prosperity, with family and wealth.

It can be a bit confusing, but it is believed that Jesus was in fact born a few years before....Christ, but this is a very debatable matter, comparing biblical events with historical chronicles. Either way, Joseph, the father of Jesus, was someone else altogether. And Jesus lived during the roman occupation. Given the events depicted to have happened between Joseph #1 and the Roman Empire (fall of Babylon, Persia, the fading of the Greek i fluence along with the rise of the romans), the time span between these events cannot be shorter.

As to why Jesus' father isn't mentioned much, it's because he simply wasn't relevant. There are no special honors given to parenthood as far as religion is concerned. Bible teaches that children should respect and honor their parents, but the purpose of the Bible, and especially the New Testament, is about salvation. Looking in the beginnings of Luke (especially ch 2), you can see the obedience of the child Jesus towards Mary and Joseph, but giving priority to God. Once Jesus grew into adulthood, Mary and Joseph didn't have a significant role anymore, just like your parents don't have so big of a role in your life after you reach(ed) adulthood.

Zillion likes this.
  4. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

There`s quite a lot of thing for a beginner, but I`ve got satisfied by your answers.
    how did you know these lot of information?, are you from Christian background?

5. bobross

bobross Fapstronaut

Somewhat, but for your answer I mostly used google and pieced some data together for you

Zillion likes this.
  6. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

oh, it takes time or I`ll eventually start procrastinate if i do some search, so mostly I avoid searches instead read from website, wikipedia or books.

and dont get me wrongas a promotion or advertising use duckduckgo.com instead of google, its privacy policy are really liberal!

7. bobross

bobross Fapstronaut

Thank for your suggestions, but google serves me just fine :D