1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't understand math

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Perfetto_iN_2743, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Liv4ever

Liv4ever Fapstronaut

Have u tried practicing it more :l
    ? +_+
    I'm currently doing 3D geometry nd integrals :p for +2 board exams

u376 likes this.
  2. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Having some experience as a physics and math teacher, I heard that higher mathematics just doesn't seem "logical" to people quite a few times. I find this very interesting, because math relies heavily on logic; in fact, logicians have tried to derive the fundamental axioms of mathematics from logic alone. Pure math makes use of clear and unambigious definitions, which further theorems are built upon, and you just have to stick with these. (In school, you don't always have pure math, though - everytime you solve a real-life problem mathematically, you have to translate it into the language of mathematics first.)

However, math often is highly unintuitive and void of any common sense. I guess that's why it may seem illogical to people. In reality, it is logic itself which may seem weird. But without it, no computer could ever work.
    Practice makes perfect!

Deleted Account and Liv4ever like this.
  3. AncestralWarrior

AncestralWarrior Fapstronaut

I really want to say that you should just practice, but as someone who'd struggled with math his whole life, I would suggest you get a tutor. A friendly, preferably young and patient person who could guide you through the problems. Sit down with them 1-2 hours a week and bring up every math subject that was ever relevant to you- and start solving.

4. Maybe so he doesn't feel so alone. In some classes you can feel everyone is better than you.

5. It might be because of my dyslexia but I've always struggled with maths. Although I may be better than what I think since in my last retail job my boss said I never made a mistake while handling cash. But still maths makes me nervous.

Liv4ever likes this.
  6. This seems like a kind of rude and ignorant thing to say. Not everyone's brain works the same. It's nice for you that you find math simple and easy to understand, but just because someone doesn't understand it or has a hard time doesn't mean they aren't trying. It's not always a matter of "just try harder and you'll get it."

7. UpTo45

UpTo45 Fapstronaut

I used to hate math, eventually it became one of my favourite subjects, specially when applied, finite analysis is so useful in some engineering problems.

S u•dv=u•v -S v•du

8. I would give advice on it but I was a C- math student ,ok C- overall student ;)

9. One Strong Girl

One Strong Girl Fapstronaut

I don’t understand it either. Numbers in general make me have a nervous breakdown lol.
    But I did my best at school, got tutors and stayed after school for extra classes. I asked my teachers and classmates for help and tried to solve equations and participate in class . I still needed longer time and different ways(sometimes weird) of solving the problems but I did better than expected!

The good news is that I haven’t taken a single math class in 4 years (I’m in college) the bad news however is that I still struggle with it ..it’s embarrassing that a couple of days ago I was counting how long I’ll have to work for and took me longer to figure out how much 66 divided by 11 was lol.

10. I dont get math either lol

11. Perfetto_iN_2743

Perfetto_iN_2743 Fapstronaut

KEK

12. youtube my man, youtube:

u376 likes this.
  13. TomGHP

TomGHP New Fapstronaut

I was more lucky with math. For me the problem is to write essays. From school I forced myself to do it. But I found a way out. When I can't write an essay, I use the service https://www.customwritings.com For me, this is a solution to the problem.

14. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

in my high school exams ......final i scored 86 in maths
    which helped me to increase my percentage
    but engineering maths is a nightmare.........also i did self study during graduation
    now i go complete blank
    and these days youtube is best teacher

15. Have you thought about getting a tutor. if that's possible in your area? One-on-one help made a huge difference for me. My school had only electives on Fridays, like creative writing and photography and stuff like that, and during the electives there was aloud "Math Lab" where the teacher would be there and the class would be open all day for you to just come in and do your homework and ask her for help with anything you didn't understand. I went to math lab a LOT because I always had questions. Partially because I wasn't the best at math, but also unfortunately because my teacher was absolutely awful. There were several instances when I would be doing a problem a certain way, based on how the book told me to do it, and she would come tell me it was wrong and show me a different way that made no sense and didn't end up coming up with the right answers. And then I would go home and have my mom re-teach me the lesson I just learned at school, and she would teach me the way that I was doing from the beginning, because I was right.

So yeah. I kinda got screwed with math in high school. Thankfully my school was a charter school where some classes were done at home, so after that my mom insisted that they let her teach me math at home even though that generally wasn't one of the classes we were supposed to do at home.

Anyway. That was kind of a pointless story, but what I'm saying is, getting help from someone one-on-one really helps. I did that with Physics too, when I was considering dropping the class because it was so damn hard, and my amazing teacher gave me lots of one-on-one time so I could understand everything.

16. Isn't it required to have high-school education (documented) to go to college?