1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

can you kill fear?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Mar 5, 2019.

1. I have a lot of hesitation in my life, i also have ocd so i am second guessing myself and making things way worse than they need to be, like i am stressing out about shots i have to get in 3 months, anyone have tips to beat fear?.

Coffee Candy and ? ? ? like this.
  2. ? ? ?

? ? ? Fapstronaut

You can't kill fear because ultimately fear is an illusion . . . we, create fear . . . they say danger is real and yes, it very much so is but fear is something we make in our minds . . . so to answer your question, yes you can beat fear since it's an obstacle that we ourselves create but you can't kill what does not exist . . .

3. So any ideas how to eliminate it?.

4. You may be approaching this wrong. I forget the name of the man who said, "Courage is not the absence of fear. It's standing up despite being afraid." Someone told me once that a good 70-80% of the things I worry about with anxiety, aren't actually worth worrying about. Someone else once said, "The only thing to fear, is fear itself." You shouldn't be afraid of the shots, you should be afraid of not facing your fears. If facing these fears doesn't make you see yourself as a hero, it's because you are competing with people who have done "scarier things." You should be instead competing with yourself. It doesn't matter how anyone else sees it, if you do something despite being afraid, you're a hero because, to you, it's scary. It's nothing special if someone does something when they aren't afraid of doing it. Only psychopaths don't really experience fear.

If you face your fears (even just small ones to start) you'll never stop being afraid, you'll just be okay with the idea of facing them.

5. Very true

Coffee Candy and Deleted Account like this.
  6. Legendz

Legendz Fapstronaut

(F)alse (E)vidence (A)ppearing (R)eal.

Fear is an opportunity for growth. You should not try to kill or eliminate is, make it your best friend instead. Its a teacher and when you start facing your fears you see there is nothing to fear. You learn to work with it

7. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

What most people are talking about when they say fear is really just fear of uncertainty. Something they don't have much experience with. Something they haven't exposed themselves to that much. So they try to think their way out of possible pain and negative experiences to fill in the gaps of their lack of experience and uncertainty. They become overly cautious / excessively careful / and way too concerned about doing the perfect thing to achieve the perfect result so that they're as comfortable as possible in life. That desire for comfort is the reason why you don't have the exposure / experience that would lead to getting rid of most of the uncertainty which in turn gets rid of most of the fear. Circumstances are made not to matter as much by experiencing them.

CoolBuddy7 likes this.
  8. you all have interesting points.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Mate, you can't eliminate fear. Everyone you know, even the most courageous people in history have a lot of fear just like you. The only difference between the courageous man and the coward is how they react. The courageous man challenges/fights the fear and gets over it because he tells himself he can. The coward gives into the fear and accepts defeat only because they don't believe in themselves. You need to improve your self-esteem and fill your head with positive thoughts.

CoolBuddy7 and Issah like this.
  10. Except some mental people. Not an enviable way to be though.

11. Issah

Issah Fapstronaut

Do it any way! The above comments are proof that you're not the only person who feels fear. You can't be brave or courageous if you're not afraid. So as long as it's not stupid, do it while you're afraid.