1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does caffeine cause stress and anxiety?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Infinite spirit, Mar 9, 2019.

1. RachelThorpe

RachelThorpe Fapstronaut

Many people need coffee in the morning time, but if you look at the health benefits, caffeine is a drug. It is better to consume it in smaller dosage for your well-being. Consuming high amount of caffeine can lead to the negative health effects. You may feel mood soar that causes to lose sleep and other health issues resulting in stress and anxiety. Try to drink moderate amount of caffeine that can boost your energy.

2. FormerFapaholic

FormerFapaholic Fapstronaut

How about weaning yourself off caffeine? It's only a suggestion. Ditch the energy drinks as they're full of crap and have no health benefits. If you need a cold drink and energy. How about switching to water or fruit juice. Small changes that can make a difference. Do a trial on it.

Maybe stick one or two cups of coffee if you need (some) caffeine. Only in the morning or daytime. Having coffee in the evening is a sure-fire way to mess up your sleep as well. There's nothing wrong with caffeine. Like alcohol, you have it in moderation. Too much of it can mess you up mentally and physically.

3. potterykays

potterykays New Fapstronaut

4. If you have to drink caffeine only drink it in the morning and limit the amount is what I would say. Caffeine raises blood pressure and that's why you can't sleep at night if you drink it in the evening. It's a (mild) stimulant. It wears out the adrenal glands if it's overconsumed. Needless to say raised blood pressure isn't beneficial to anyone who's prone to stress and anxiety, and caffeine can easily aggravate existing anxiety or stress. Decaf coffee isn't as bad but I would limit my intake of that as well.

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  5. Lilla_My

Lilla_My Fapstronaut

As I die hard coffee fan, I was completely in denial about the detrimental effect coffee and energy drinks can have on anxiety. I used to drink coffee around the clock, slept poorly and was in general a basket case.

Now, coffee has many, many health benefits as well, so it doesn't have to be excluded completely, but needs to be limited for someone who struggles with their nerves.

I switched to green and black teas (I only drink two cups of coffee early in the morning). As mentioned, regular teas (camelia sinensis) contain caffeine as well, but they also contain substances that blocks cortisol production (which is causing the anxiety). Therefore they are beneficial for anxiety.

My anxiety is greatly reduced, I had no idea I could feel this calm. Just remember, the effects of caffeinated bevarages needs to be asesssed separetly, because of all the other ingredients they may or may not contain.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  6. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

i suffer from social anxiety.........and my caffeine intake per day is huge
    should i reduce it or not

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. yeah I have to tell you something.....caffeine decreases dopamine sensitivity...there is an article about it..you can read it

u376 likes this.
  8. The direct lowering of testosterone levels may be a side effect of green tea, according to one study. The Department of Physiology and Pharmacology in Brazil's Federal University specifically investigated the effect of green tea on testosterone production. They found that high levels of green tea inhibited the amount of testosterone hormone in rodents. Researchers were also able to discover that the effects could be reversed if the green tea concentration was lowered.

so green tea is also helpful for rebooting.

9. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

There have been a number of reports about health benefits to caffeine. I'm not a scientist, so I can't really say much about the quality of the reports. But what I've seen persuades me that in most situations, caffeine is not harmful and can be helpful. And in any case, for most people, it is certainly innocuous.

That said, there can be downsides. Kids can get overstimulated, so parents wisely hold back. I have drunk coffee and caffeinated drinks most of my life. I have no health problems that can associated with them. However, in recent years, I notice I don't sleep as well as I used to, so I cut out caffeine and mostly drink decaf coffee. That said, I will drink a diet coke, which has far less caffeine than a cup of coffee. As far as I can tell, the diet coke doesn't affect my sleep; but I don't drink it too late in the day. And, for all I know, the caffeine itself wasn't the problem, but cutting it out removed a cause of worry. In other words, the placebo effect.

I like caffeine and liked drinking real coffee. And if my job involved more physical exertion, it probably wouldn't matter.

BravelyKegger likes this.
  10. I dont know i drink caffeine daily and my tes is through the roof right now.

11. The only time caffeine is harmful is when you go over the daily recommended dosage.

12. Coffee is good in the just amount, drink too much and you end up like Tweek from south park (me in irl btw)

BravelyKegger likes this.
  13. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Dopamine sensitivity affects social anxiety?

14. Lilla_My

Lilla_My Fapstronaut

Reduce the coffee (1-2 cups a day), quit the energy drinks completely.

u376 and FormerFapaholic like this.
  15. Yes
    you cant be happy with small things..like talking to people, going outside.........all these things becomes dsensitized.

u376 likes this.
  16. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Ok.....now I will try to reduce it