1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Poison of Superficiality

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SolitaryScribe, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I’ve been recently contemplating the superficial nature of our current western civilization. Without needing myself to dive into depth and detail, it is pretty self-evident that western civilization has become more superficial over the centuries. But why? What caused the, if not; inevitable death of genuineness, and the ever glorification of superficiality. Why do we as humans seek after the image, the thought, the mirage. It seems to me that our life has become filtered down to, what is the next big and awesome thing I can purchase, or what awesome adventure can I experience next, what feeling I need next to fill me with “happiness”. It’s sad to say, but our superficial nature as even penetrated that which we see is genuine. For example, think of what the “perfect” image of a family is; you’ll picture a handsome husband and a beautiful wife, who are always smiling and gazing in each others eyes, and all the kids are beautiful and in perfect health. With this initial image in your head, you begin to add more; an upgraded image if you will (Kind of like an upgrade on a car). This new image upgrade would add details to the story forming in your head like, both the husband and wife would be making good money, they would have a beautiful home, the kids would be extremely smart and grow up to be doctors, and so on and on; The image yet dives deeper into: “the husband and wife will have an intense emotion of love towards each other”. All these things sound pleasing to the ear, and in fact many of us would claim that, if they were to have all of that, that they would be happy. This image of this perfect family seems to be an image of perfection. It is a perfect image which we try to achieve. Now I’m not saying that everyone is just looking to get married and have kids. Some people have a desire to become famous, or wealthy, or athletic or no desire at all. In all these situations, there is an image of perfection in our minds that is constantly posted in front of us. This is the reason you wake up every morning and fulfill the same mundane duties of daily life, in hopes of achieving this perfect image.

It Appears that we lust after the image of a certain worldly desire, that the image is more appealing than the substance itself, and in turn this lust of image gives us a false sense of purpose. The purpose being: to obtain this-worldly desire, and in doing so will make us happy. Of course this false realization and thought will only bring on despair, or worse; a dependence on the “worldly happiness”, which western civilization stresses us to achieve. When we become depended on this world and what it has to offer, and in those split seconds where we are forced to stop suckling on the poison of her bosom, we begin to feel the crushing weight of emptiness, darkness and ineffable despair. Truly hell on earth.

We can therefore conclude that the root of superficiality is the innate desire for happiness. But at what extent did happiness become about that which is superficial? And how far will mankind go to achieve his happiness.

Alas, I have come to an end to my thought. I would have more to say regarding this topic, but in another section. Please comment your thoughts and let me know what you think.

A Genuine Thanks

The Solitary Scribe

2. Probably the root cause of most of the depression in the world today. Especially with today's social media. Nothing's ever good enough because all you see is everything you don't have. Even the people that seemingly have the perfect life are still not satisfied and are searching for the next best thing. We're all chasing a life that doesn't exist and running out of time in the process.

3. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Very true. We focus too much and portraying the perfect life on facebook or instagram, yet we may actually be miserable. If you search the case of Chris Watts, his wife used to post all these family videos on facebook that showed the perfect loving husband and a happy family. He later killed his wife and their 2 young daughters who were 3 and 4 years old.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Much like PMO and sexual deviance, I don't think this is a human nature issue.

A while back I watched a great documentary on american consumerism. Before the late 40's, american men and women were products of a culture of hard work and sacrifice. After the depression and WW2 we held on to those values even though we experienced crazy economic prosperity. Families lived well but sensibly, saved most of their money and only owned one car. The video went on to discuss how corporations were well aware of how wealthy american families were becoming and partnered with marketing geniouses and TV producers to essentially brainwash the american public into marveling over excess and praise lavish unnecessary spending. This social engineering was effective enough to change the culture from one of sensible spending to bling obsessed. People began to spend more and buy more lavish houses and a couple generations later, everyone is in debt and living check to check.

This took power away from people and made them serfs for the military industrial complex and made corporations rich enough to buy off all our leaders. This isnt the first time in history this has happened because the government did the same thing in many European nations at various points during history. If we cant enslave and control the populace we can trick those fools into doing it themselves.

5. LIF€ ₩ORRIOR

LIF€ ₩ORRIOR Fapstronaut

Very well said

6. LIF€ ₩ORRIOR

LIF€ ₩ORRIOR Fapstronaut

You speak very well & this is gospel truth & that happiness can only be found in true love/loving our selves our family & friends & our fellow man & women by our actions & deeds of comes from the heart & can not be bought & for me ((God))...

7. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

images (2).jpeg

8. Well, Americans have been worshiping money for quite some time now and they managed to infect Europeans with that virus too.

SolitaryScribe likes this.