1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Lie detector test.

Discussion in 'Partner Support' started by DesperateHousewife7, Mar 20, 2019.

1. DesperateHousewife7

DesperateHousewife7 Fapstronaut

Hey, everyone. One thing that the CSAT offered in the beginning of therapy, and that has been suggested by others- is a lie detector test. I don’t feel like an actual “full disclosure” was ever officially done. I feel like there’s a lot that wasn’t told to me, and I sense that he has relapsed. So, because I’ve already wasted 7 years of my life trying to get honesty out of this issue, I want to nip it in the bud once and for all. I think it’s time to administer that lie detector test. Now, what I need help with, iswhat questions do I ask to get the most information that I can? I needadvice from both addicts and spouses, based on what you hid or discoveredhidden the most. Thank you!

2. lfromcr

lfromcr Fapstronaut

Hello @DesperateHousewife7,

I'm so sorry it's come to this and that there's been so many 'wasted years'. It truly is a difficult thing and can leave us feeling completely gutted.

Here's what I tell women when it comes to LDTs:

1) Ask about any of your own personal deal-breakers

2) Steer clear of things that would become obsessions for you (hair color, 'was it on our anniversary?' certain specifics you know wouldn't help, UNLESS you're asking about people he has regular contact with... it's best to get clear on those.)

3) It may be too open ended to ask this, so I'm not sure if the administrator will allow it, but after your other questions I'd ask, "Is there any other sexual activity you're hiding? Is there any interest in other women you're hiding?"

4) And what I learned from the betrayal trauma training was to always ask, "Have you researched how to beat a lie-detector test?

Hope that helps,
    L

3. DesperateHousewife7

Ooh, that last one is a good one I wouldn’t have thought of. Thank you.

lfromcr likes this.
  4. lfromcr

lfromcr Fapstronaut

@DesperateHousewife7

I know. Me neither. I thought it was great!

FULL DISCLOSURE SESSIONS:
    Another thing they really stressed on the training was it's best to have someone there to advocate for you... preferably a Betrayal Trauma Trained Therapist (which I am not).

They way they suggest disclosures be done is this way:

-Both parties have therapists in the room, his and yours, looking at you to see if you're triggering or if you need to take a break.

-Also both of them will steer him to be more honest and/or to give less detail.

-Usually the BT Therapist will have arranged for after care for you (like had you ready to stay somewhere else if you need to.)
    -And they stressed taking two separate cars home at the very least.

In a perfect world all of us wives would have that, but if it's difficult to arrange, you're going to have to advocate for yourself if you need a break/need less detail/need to spend a few days away from him afterward.

Hope that helps,
    L

5. DesperateHousewife7

Thank you, those are all great ideas. I am of course going to try to get him to be honest with me at home first but if it goes like it usually goes, I will be making an appointment soon.

6. Lostneverland

Lostneverland Fapstronaut

I’ve read about lie detector tests and thought , “oh that’s an interesting idea.” Then I looked it up to see if anyone in my area performed them for sex addictions. Turns out there is a firm that does them for $600.
    When my husband returned from his work shift, he told me that a wife had made her husband take a lie detector test. (Divine intervention) She didn’t trust him at all. He was horrified that she would ask that if him.
    I responded with, “ya that’s a good idea. They do them here too for $600. Something to think about that’s for sure.”
    His eyes just about fell out. Something tells me I should be scheduling an appointment.
    Arg...this so sucks.

7. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

Careful @DesperateHousewife7 & @Lostneverland, setting up the questions how you need them to be asked does not always work out, and thus you may find you have wasted your money.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019