1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gym vs Home Workouts

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MarkoSkoric, Mar 15, 2019.

1. MarkoSkoric

MarkoSkoric Fapstronaut

I wanted to give my brothers a little advice regarding their indecisiveness about joining a gym or doing workouts at home.

It is true that you can spare money by doing workouts at home. Many programs are geared towards that purpose: P90X, Insanity, calisthenics, etc.

However, let me tell you that there is something special about joining a gym.

First of all, you have to get your ass in motion and GET THERE !

I'm not saying that you will procrastinate by staying at home to do your workouts, but the possibility is still there.

Once you get moving and you step inside that gym, you will get a workout guaranteed.

Then, you will be more social by joining a gym. I've met many people from many walks of life inside of a gym. People ask you what exercises you do for a specific body part, you ask them, etc.

Everyone is there with a common and positive purpose ;)

Home workouts are fine... But you will need to buy equipment if you want to get SERIOUS. In the gym, everything is there and more :)

2. I built my own gym at home, but something about public gyms are nice, you are more inclined to do more because you are paying and it would look weird if you left 10 minutes after going in, so way more motivation in the gym.

Asgardian36 and MarkoSkoric like this.
  3. It doesn't really matter which you choose, just have a regular routine and you will be fine.

4. Skins23

Skins23 Fapstronaut

My only thought is the isolation of working out at home alone. Find a work out partner to feel more connected.

5. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Home gym is great. No gym membership fee, and also avoid all the Thots at the gym that go just to get attention.

? ? ? and Deleted Account like this.
  6. Home.. i just grab a weight anytime i have time and dont loose tome with traveling

7. zeekland

zeekland Fapstronaut

Then you should like a home gym even more, far more expensive up front and if you bail out at least you can recover some money. You can buy a decent 300 pound bench setup for $200-300 on facebook/craigslist. I sadly live 45 minutes out (unless I want to be gouged for $50 a month) so I just bought a 30x50 garage and am in the process of making my own gym, screw the middle man.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. MarkoSkoric

MarkoSkoric Fapstronaut

Ditto. I write diet for people and the ones that pay usually follow up with the program and get great results.

I cut some slack for family members and really close friends and they usually give up after a few days.

9. When I go to the gym to work out, I'm always hoping there will be hot girls there. I don't speak at them, but I'm sneaking glances at them. And this feels like part of my PMO behaviour. (Although it's also my natural sexuality expressing itself).

When I work out at home, I have to find my own energy, I don't get it from those around me, but I'm not distracted by women either. And I get to listen to whatever music I want without needing headphones.

Working out at home feels lonely, but somehow more pure.

10. DeliciousMarzipan

DeliciousMarzipan Fapstronaut

I just don't like the idea of a gym. My confidence levels are at sub-zero levels, so I'd rather stay away. I just jog outside, that's enough for me.

11. MarkoSkoric

MarkoSkoric Fapstronaut

That's why you go, to raise confidence and get out of your comfort zone :)

To each their own I guess...

Anonymous86 likes this.
  12. DeliciousMarzipan

Guaranteed to make things worse. I'm not a people person.

13. if you are just trying to do cardio than definitely outside jogging will fine, but for strength i would recommend the gym, or if you want to be lean do calisthenics.

14. DeliciousMarzipan

I'd like to get some bulk, but there's the confidence issue. The anxiety will kill me, I have trouble forcing myself go out of the house as it is.

15. bondong96

bondong96 Fapstronaut

I would like to start working out at home because I only use free weights and often use a squat rack for a very large portion of my exercises. It is frustrating to go in the gym with a plan only to find the squat rack being used, or to know there are people waiting, so you go through your sets too quickly. For me I think I would save money as well as I don't even use half the machines that the gym has and I work out more conveniently without having to drive to the gym.

Some people like the social atmosphere and that motivates them to workout, or they feel more motivated because you actually have to workout once you are in the gym, but I would like to get a rack at myself as I think it would best for me.

16. GorillaVikingwithaBLT

GorillaVikingwithaBLT Fapstronaut

I've spent both years working out at home and in a gym. There's pro's and cons to both. Depending on what you have at home, you will most likely wish you had something that's in a gym. But you save money, it's there right where you are, you can do it anytime. You know, the obvious pros and cons.

Here's what I found after doing both for a while:
    1. I tend to be a bit more motivated when I'm actually at the gym. When you spend time getting to the gym, I felt that I had more of a drive to get a good workout in. I don't know if it's the fact that you spent time and money to get in there or if it's the fact that you're surrounded by people who are working out too or what but I just found myself to be a bit more inspired at a gym as opposed to home. At home, depending on the level of your discipline, you could easily stop mid workout and plop on the couch or something. I found that when I want to workout at home, I would usually put it off late at night just because I COULD. I didn't have to worry about going out at a certain time because it was all right there in front of me. Such freedom could pay for a small price unless your discipline is in good shape.
    2. The gym is more unpredictable. You may come in one day and it's packed. You're wanting to work your chest but it's occupied by like 30 dude bro's flexing for the ladies. It happens sometimes so you'd have to be prepared to adapt more. This may through off a workout newbie. At home you can plan with 100% certainty that you can do pretty much whatever you want. But at the same time, you'll be around people if you go to the gym, and I think there's a plus side to that. There are good opportunities to get out of your comfort zone if you are afraid of talking to people like "Hey are you still using this machine?". At least for me I found that the experience was helpful.

It all really depends where they are and if you personally think it would be good for your brothers to get out or not. How much free time they have to work out. Obviously home is the way to go if they're busy 24/7 I'd imagine.
    I personally think working out at home and gym are beneficial in their own ways. Just gotta pick what's right for you. It all depends.