1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the most talented type of music?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Keyword is 'talented', not what type of music is the best. Bc if you're answering which type is the best, you can't bc its a subjective question. But answering which type is "most talented" than there is an answer.

Honestly I would go classic rock. Like good rock bands in their prime (led zeppelin, pink Floyd, rolling stones, the who, aerosmith, ac/dc, grateful dead, etc etc, etc). As a band I would say they (& others) were the most talented.

It's hard to really say bc it's a group of people doing different tasks and enacting strong coordination between themselves. While, for example, erykah badu would blow a singer (as an individual) out of the water in terms of talent with singing/voice.

And then you got hip-hop which I won't get into right now for the sake of argument.

For somebody who hasn't listened to classic rock (or any other genre), they would be inclined to not vote that as the answer. But again, the question is "which type (genre) of music is the most talented, not which is the best?"

2. I'm not sure if there's an answer to this. Every kind of music has musicians that have more technical skill than others. For example, a lot of heavy metal bands are classically trained, but you can find musicians that play classical music that are more skilled than those that play heavy metal.

While Erykah Badu is a good singer, there's other singers in different types of music that can match or even surpass her ability, famous or otherwise. When it comes to music (and most skills in general), there's always going to be someone better than you, which makes this question harder to answer.

In song writers, I've heard rap songs with lyrics that blow a lot of rock songs out of the water in terms of their poetry, but in rock, the music can be far more complex. The other way around exists as well. This all being said, however, I can say which types I think requires the most skill, knowing how the music and lyrics, if available, are constructed and that would be classical music, instrumentals, rap, metal, and jazz. Whichever is the most talented (or more skilled, to be more precise), I don't know if one can answer that without being subjective.

SilentJay313 and Deleted Account like this.
  3. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

For me it's Indian classical

4. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Yeah, for sure! Pink Floyd stand out to me in the examples you have given. But my favourite rock band are Thin Lizzy. :cool:

5. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

pure talent wise, I think its hard to beat speed rapping, although it can be painful to listen too

6. Lol what do you mean by speed rapping? Like busta rhymes type stuff where you rap ALOT faster above average? As an emcee, I don't consider that really talented imo. Mumbling on a microphone saying words SUPER fast isn't really impressive in hip-hop to me in any capacity. The only example I can think of is:

Starting at 1:30. This is a throwback to my childhood man. This song used to be so hot.

But it sounds cool bc he has a flow that makes him sound super impressive. But listen closely to what he's saying. Its alot of repetition and stuttering, paired w/ very amateur rhymes. His flow in speaking fast is great and sometimes his flow didn't match the beat.

Just listen to Wayne's verse after. Its alot better imo. This whole song isn't lyrical and it was a good and catchy song for the radio stations in its day.

Lyrical rap > rapping fast

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2019
  7. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

I agree but there are more people that can lyrical rap. Listen to eminems rap god, its pretty easy to understand. It takes a lot of skill to keep that going. Not that is sounds great compared to lyrical rap.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. JakeWoods

JakeWoods Fapstronaut

Mumble rap, surely?

Just playing. In all seriousness I think that lyrical rap is the most talented.

Not only do most of the words rhyme. A lot of them have word plays and hidden meanings. Which is a very hard thing to do. Then on top of that you have to actually be able to rap the lyrics with a good flow. It takes a lot of pratice, even then you might never be good at it.

Coffee Candy and Deleted Account like this.
  9. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

No such thing as the most talented “genre” of music. Sure there are some talented musicians in classics rock, but 90 percent of that genre is just a pentatonic scale in common time. Literally anyone on the planet can drum for AC/DC, Guns & Roses, KISS, Def Leppard (especially Def Leppard ), those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

10. Facts. I think you're right man. It is pretty hard. Takes alot of time

11. jk243

jk243 Fapstronaut

Lyrical and wordplay rap for me.

12. Well this is extremly subjective question, for me Deep House. For me mixing sets into one journey what make sense is modern art, cant say that about rap, every second youtuber make rap songs. But again this is subjective for everyone, talented people are in every genre.

13. Lyrical rap definitely..

Guys like Eminem,Big L,Redman etc.

How you have to be on beat all the time, use words most people didn't even know existed or maybe even invent new words.

Big L once used this line: I got a crime record longer then Manute Bol. The wordplay is amazing.

Rap is also the only music type that when they rap about their life i literally see it in front of me. They are just so good at storytelling etc

14. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I would say classical music is one that requires A LOT of talent because it's one of the hardest to compose

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    GigglingTrout and u376 like this.
  15. Yes you're right boss. I love how you included Redman.

16. yeah people don't realize how much Beethoven is sampled, even in hip hop

17. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Mumble rap for sure. Just kidding.

18. Personally, as much as I pretty much never listen to it and it's definitely not my favorite style of music, I am absolutely blown away by really really good rappers. Just the sheer speed with which they can move their mouths and actually sound good is insane to me. I don't know how they do it. (As long as it actually sounds good, of course.)

19. Yes! I was NOT expecting this kinda answer from so many people. Hell yes