1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is wrath a good motivator?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Infrasapiens, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I am an angry guy. Can I use that to motivate me do things or will it turn bad if I do it for too long?

2. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I feel anger has it's place. Wrath, in my mind that sounds like something on a whole other level. Personally I feel anger is something to be used briefly when needed. I'll ask you a question, do you really enjoy being around a person who's always angry?

3. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Well people like me for some reason, and I am always angry.

4. CH3RRY

CH3RRY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Anger is ignorance. You should give up your anger, it will definitely harm you in the long run. I've felt angry too over certain things and when I realized how life really is, I felt pathetic and delusional for thinking in such ignorant and short-sighted way. Like with people, I've had a negative view of some but there was no reason to have that mindset. I was just feeling negative cause of myself and that's it. But then there are the news about very bad things that very bad people have committed. I feel very angry hearing about them. This is normal anger that everyone will feel towards terrible deeds done by terrible people. I've had to learn to ignore these things, since they don't affect me in any way. But they're still often stuck in my head and I start questioning the world.

5. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

But the things that make me angry affect me, and not in like "Hearing that ruined my day", I mean directly affecting how I live my life.

6. CH3RRY

CH3RRY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I see. Are these things out of your control? Can you tell me a few examples?

7. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Yes, they are out of my control. I cannot give you examples without revealing my location so I would rather not do it.

8. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

You don't need to say anything more as you've given me a perfect example of where I believe anger has it's place. The situations are out of your control, it's perfectly ok to be angry at that. This said, let anger be fleeting and not control your decisions. Let the anger disappear and keep aware of new opportunities.

9. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I do not want it to control my life, I just want to use it to motivate me to reach my goals.

10. changinguser

changinguser Fapstronaut

Well, depends. Anger is an emotion that we all have and that we carry in our daily lives. It's not something that we can completely supress or ignore (I tried, and it didn't go well). Anger can be a powerful tool, and yes a motivator in my opinion.
    BUT, it is very tricky. Like it's been said, if you can't control it takes over you. And that does happen very easily to many of us.
    Like once was said: "Your anger gives you great power. But if you let it, it will destroy you". I believe anger is all about balance to be truly useful, but controlling anger can be quite a challenging skill to master.
    As an alternative, there are many other motivators, you can look for the one that suits your strenghts and helps your weaknesses.

CH3RRY likes this.
  11. Quick Answer Yes but Wrath is not permanent. So a fuel with great power only for a short time.

12. Trust me you can't use it too long. Because there is not enough wrath to keep going. What if you feel good and happy ? What if you get what you wanted.... your wrath will fade and you will feel powerless

ZenAF likes this.
  13. CH3RRY

CH3RRY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I can't tell you much then. But remember to try to understand the things that are making you angry. Is the anger justified or are you just feeling angry over something because you have internal issues? Answer these questions to yourself. And I will say that you do need powerful emotions and thoughts that motivate you, anger can be one in certain form. Anger itself imo is mostly being ignorant. But anger can turn into something else, like being humble and peaceful.

14. Anger, like all the passions, is embedded deeply within us. Evil, injustice, the sense that we or someone else has done wrong awaken this passion in us, just as the sight of food awakens hunger. You cannot hope to eradicate anger any more than hunger. You can, however, turn it to proper use.

Just as the proper response to natural hunger is not to gobble up huge quantities of junk food, the proper response to natural anger is not aim it at yourself or at others, but at the evil thoughts driving you toward what you already know is wrong.

You don't avoid using knives because you fear cutting yourself, do you? Learn to use anger in the same way, as a tool which won't injure you if you wield it properly.

CH3RRY and Deleted Account like this.
  15. Well said

16. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I let it out of control before, I will not let it happen again.

That would be a good thing. It means I wouldn't need to be angry anymore to do things.

It is justified, I see vengeance or retribution as trivial matters. Besides, the things I hate affect too the ones I love.

That is my purpose, to channel it towards something good.

Thank you all for the replies, they helped me.

CH3RRY and Deleted Account like this.
  17. Maybe you should explain why not

18. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I like your style.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. I wanted to do that as well but that wont help him to understand why. Just listing to others wont help you makeing progress if you dont know why. But I like his style too :D