1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the one thing you hate about eating at restaurants?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 6, 2019.

1. For me, the thing I hate most about eating at restuarants are the appetizers. It's already bad enough that the meals tend to be ridiculously oversized, but the appetizers are even worse. They are usually massive calorie bombs that are made to fill up your stomach long before the meal even arrives.

They are also usually lacking in nutrients (think the bread bowls for example) so all they really do is provide the body with unnecessary calories and they actually rev up your hunger drive as well. In other words, they are basically empty calories, fat, sodium, carbs, etc.

So here's a story I had yesterday about my eating experience at this Irish pub amd why I dread appetizers now:

So my family and I, my grandparents, and another relative of mine went to an Irish-style pub called Fione MacCool's. As a health-concious individual, before I go to a restaurant, I always tend to look for the healthier options on the menu on the restaurant's website. This way, I can take my time to figure out which meal I would like to have ahead of time.

I find this method pretty helpful, especially when there's times, especially during road trips, where I'm forced to go to a fast food restaurant that I would not want to eat at. But when I do, I always tend to look for the healthier options on the menu so that I don't end up feeling like shit afterwards.

Anyways, back to the story: so we went to our table, we each took our time to figure out what we want. I ordered a warm kale salad with roasted walnuts and grilled chicken on top, along with a red potato and leek soup.

We also ordered three appetizers: a giant, oversized pretzel with melted beer cheese, Irish-style potato chips with melted beer cheese as well, and bread slices with spinach and feta dip.

At this point, I was dreading this already. Even though I was hungry, I wanted to save room in my stomach for the salad and the soup. But, when the appetizers arrived, I was so tempted because the food was delicious as hell. I wanted to try each of them because why not?

I already know that fried foods are pretty unhealthy for many reasons, including accrylamide, a carcinogen that forms when foods are heated in excessive temperatures.

I already know that those giant, oversized pretzels are very unhealthy because they are basically just empty calories and salt.

Ans of course, I know that white bread is pretty much empty calories, need I say more?

Despite having those thoughts buzzing in my head, I ignored them anyways and started splurging on them. I knew this was a special occasion so why the hell not?

But the problem is, the appetizers made me close to full by the time the meals arrived. I finished the soup, but I didn't eat much of the salad (thankfully, I still have some as leftovers). But what's even worse is that we had dessert afterwards, and I was pretty much 95% stuffed before the dessert.

For dessert, we had a giant, deliciously decadent, chocolate chip cookie with ice cream and chocolate syrup on top, and it was delicious as hell.

Afterwards, I was so stuffed. I ended up feeling very lazy and demotivated afterwards. I could have at least avoided the appetizers so that I didn't have to put such a load in my stomach. I feel like I'm going to gain weight so I need to start exercising right now.

So anyways, what is the one thing you absolutely hate about eating at restaurants. For me, that one thing I dread are appetizers for many reasons. But I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.

P.S. it's time to start working out right now and burn off those calories!

RealMe likes this.
  2. You know you can just... not order appetizers, right? If you hate them so much and don't want to eat too much food, that's up to you. I don't order appetizers, and I almost never eat all my food at a restaurant. I get a to-go box and have lunch for the next day, which also helps offset the price.

I guess the thing I dislike the most would be having to wait so long for food. And the prices, I suppose. But I like eating at restaurants. I just don't do it much because it's so much more expensive than eating at home.

3. I hate the fact that I usually regret what I ordered when I see someone else's plate.

Deleted Account and vibemaker like this.
  4. I hate it when folks just stare at everyone in the restaurant and can't keep their eyes or attention span on their bleedin' meal, I always seem to have that one person that won't stop oogling and it bloody well drives me round the bend.

That and when I sometimes happen to stumble upon a restaurant that does that daft tipping thing from North America, I mean come on, I'm not paying extra for a person to bring me food even though it's their job and they get paid for it. Absolute hogwash.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

i dont hate anything particularly
    just dont like when the place is overcrowded with loud music
    because it makes difficult to converse...

6. Roffelaar

Roffelaar Fapstronaut

Well I hate eating at restaurants if the food is shit and I could have made the same dish at home even better.

7. Eating without watching my favorite shows. Waste of time just eating yuks!

8. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

It depends on what country the restaurant I visit is located in:

-In my home-country (Sweden), I really dislike the (mostly) high prices, small portion sizes, slow service and lack of toilets. Usually there is only one or two toilets for all the guests and rarely a urinal at the men's room. Many times, you can wait for an hour or more until your main course arrives (after you ordered it) and the portions are often tiny in proportion to the high price you pay.

-Abroad (in a third world country) it might be the hygienic standard of the food and the restaurant itself (tables and restrooms).

-In The States, the fact I have to show my ID (despite being over 30 years old) to purchase a beer is ridiculous, as well as the (not stated) sales tax and huge tip you have to give in addition to that. Sometimes, the restaurant want you to tip on top of the already included gratuity which I think is a double ripoff. Sometimes, the staff expect me giving a high tip even for a poorly done job which is ridiculous as well. You get paid according to the service you provide, no more, no less.

9. Seriously. I have zero problems with large portion but if its really good sometimes Ill eat it all right there.

10. Ignorant people with no decency. People dont know how to act in restaurants talking on cell phones all loud. I've seen people with the nerve to play music and watch videos on their phone with the volume on max. it's really bad when people let their undicsciplined kids run all over the place and the management lets them get away with it. If I'm spending on an overpriced unhealthy meal, I wan't to enjoy it.

11. Honestly, people mad dogging me

Deleted Account and Roffelaar like this.
  12. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I hate not having money to eat at one.

13. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Too loud music that's not relaxing. Techno music just doesn't work for me at a restaurant.

Too bright lightning like in a hospital.

14. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Lol, paying for the food.

vibemaker likes this.
  15. that there are other people there :b

16. PrussianDad

PrussianDad Fapstronaut

I hate that you have to order sth. to drink.
    1. Prices for drinks are redicilous
    2. It's actually bad to drink and eat
    Also the liquor you get at Greek restaurants before AND after the meal.

vibemaker likes this.
  17. you dont "have" to

18. have anybody noticed? its becoming too expensive even for regular meals. at least here in india.

19. PrussianDad

PrussianDad Fapstronaut

You don't really have to, I know. But it is well, odd and unpolite to not do so, at least where I am from.

20. iLoveRain

iLoveRain Fapstronaut

Cant be myself. I like doin loud jokes n shit and i cant do that thang in a restaurant.
    Ye,and they are expensive too.