1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation - Do you use it, how has it improved your life?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by nomo, Mar 5, 2015.

1. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

For me, the most valuable benefit of meditation is learning to separate yourself from your thoughts and emotions. Instead of just instinctively reacting to whatever my brain tosses in front of me, I am more aware that those thoughts and emotions aren't actually me and that they don't get to control me.

Now, instead of getting angry at things like I used to, I'm often able to recognize the fact that I'm getting angry before I'm actually angry. Even a few seconds of insight like that allows you to deal with the anger and resolve it before it controls you and makes you say or do something counterproductive.

I am finding that it is helping with PMO temptation as well. I am not the temptation. The temptation is a thought in my brain, and I am in control of my brain. By recognizing temptation as a thought, I am able to deal with that temptation before it really becomes a temptation. By being present in the moment and aware of my own internal weather, I can avoid letting emotion control me.

2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Anyone who says they're doing more than 10 minutes mediation is lying, hell even five minutes is a tough gig.

One minute, even this is insanely difficult. Anyone who recommends chanting or visualising stuff to do with religion, life, etc isn't meditating properly either.

Mediation is NOTHING and is EVERYTHING, but in reality is it NOTHING. Absolutely nothing, just you staring at a space in time. Breathe in, breathe out. True zen monks have experienced states of sheer bliss, but they have been practising for years. And I'm not kidding you, proper meditation is really difficult. I can't even get beyond a minute if I'm being totally honest.

And as someone mentioned before you don't meditate for benefits, you meditate to meditate, if the benefits come you accept them, if not... well that's that.

Good luck

3. jazzphanatic

jazzphanatic Fapstronaut

This is a pretty amazing post. I've read several things about meditation, but haven't gotten into yet. If I keep reading these motivational posts about it though, I may start tonight! LoL

4. jay2jay

jay2jay Fapstronaut

Plenty of great info in this thread! I believe that simplicity is the key, and do whatever it is that feels right for you. Dont worry if what youre doing is right or not, the mind/ego wants to always question everything... and the essence of meditation, as mentioned previously, is being aware of that mind, but not attavhing to it... understanding you are thr awareness that is watching the thoughts. Anyhow, its said that the results of meditation will show, outwardly in your life... thoughts and actions. I believe it brings balancr, clarity, insight, new power to someone.

Again. Its ironic ive experiencrd the above over and over yet I still shy away from meditation, and forget how beneficial it is until I practice again. But hey, its my journey and im learning more and more as we all are.

By the way, im still fap free. :)

5. jay2jay

jay2jay Fapstronaut

Sorry about the grammar, im on my phone

6. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

I disagree with you, Tweeby. I'm not sure what kind of meditation you are doing that you find so incredibly difficult, but certainly there are other people and other kinds of meditation that don't present the challenges you are describing. Simple mindfulness meditation is not very intimidating at all. No chanting or incense or mystical journeys, just time spent focused entirely on the moment. I routinely spend 20-30 minutes doing this. Does my mind wander? Of course it does. That's what minds do. But that's part of the practice.

Maybe you are involved in some really challenging and difficult meditation process I'm not aware of. I just hope you don't discourage others in here from trying something that can really help with the process we're all going through.

7. JegErFransk

JegErFransk Fapstronaut

I came here especially to read your answers! Thanks a lot The Eleven!

I gave a try yesterday... I wasn't really successful: Not able to free my mind of any thought for more than 30sec. But I bet with experience it will get easier!

I'll keep you updated on my progress if I manage to keep this as a habit!

8. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

Good for you, man! Keep at it. Some days will be easier than others, but all practice pays dividends. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes!

9. LouMan

LouMan Fapstronaut

like a lot of people on here meditation has been nothing short of invaluable for me in my fight against PMO and many other apects of my life. I also disagree with TWEEBY about how difficult it is although i do understand what hes trying to say. NOT doing meditation 'well' is actually...still meditation!
    meditation actually benefits people on this site MORE than someone who is proficient in it PRECISELY because we need it most.

mindfulness in my case is the practise of sitting and letting whatever arises appear, simply letting it go and reutrning to the breath. sometimes i achieve that and im content, other times i ride that 'thought train' all the way to china but im still content. the point is to do it. absoutely just get your butt on that chair for 15 - 30 mins everyday and it will start transforming your life (almost invisibly at first). Be patient.

10. Started meditation 4 days ago. When it ends I feel epic ! There is a weird feeling that stays there for a minute or two. I use Calm on Android. That app has a great timer. Plays a pleasant music.

11. Thanatos

Thanatos Fapstronaut

You kind of have to do more then 5 mins to get to that place where your mind is absolutley quiet.
    I have had very blisssful states thru meditation too... and I am no where near a zen monk.

12. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

Don't just do something, sit there!

13. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

Here's a great, basic introduction to mindfulness meditation from a website that will also help you take it further if you like it. If I haven't made this clear already, I strongly recommend it for anyone dealing with PMO issues (not to mention anxiety, depression, stress.....)

http://www.mindful.org/mindfulness-practice/mindfulness-the-basics

14. jay2jay

jay2jay Fapstronaut

touchtheotherside hit it on the head. as i've been saying, just begin. don't listen to others ghandi experiences reaching a state of bliss or the others who say it doesn't work.

JUST TRY IT YOURSELF. Don't expect anything, just do it. Anyhow, I was at work and came across my buddy Russell Simmons talk at Google on meditation. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, if you skip to the end, the last 10-15 minutes, he actually provides simplistic steps, followed by a 7 minute meditation with the whole group..

I can't lie, its been my new practice (as of yesterday) for meditation. it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NHuXUXBZDo