1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to Run

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Tzion, May 17, 2019.

1. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 13:

Ran 7 min and walked 2 min repeating three times. It was a great run but also exhausting. I am really enjoying it. It's awesome going out and running longer than I ever did before.

2. quantumxshaman

quantumxshaman Fapstronaut

If you're going to incorporate running as a regular exercise, just be aware it inherently has a high impact on your ligaments, tendons, & joints.

If you start to feel ANY discomfort, (aside from lactic acid buildup) reduce your work load (speed or distance), TAKE A REST DAY, and resume under the remodeled training profile.

Look into running related injuries & preventative exercises:
    Runner's Knee (ITBS, etc) -> I caught that after 2 weeks of running a 10k everyday. Put me out for a while.
    Shin Splints. (Can be avoided by running on grass. Highly recommend. Shin splints SUCK.)

Oh,
    And get yourself the following:
    NSAIDS/anti inflammatories
    A foam roller
    Ice pack,
    Rice sock for heating/loosening up the muscles.

Don't make the same mistakes I did, lol.
    Happy running. :)

3. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 14:

Strength training today.

4. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 15:

I just got done running for 8 min and walking for 2 min. I decided to do the route of the 5k so I can see what it's like. The route has some small rolling hills with some big up hill/down hill parts. I was able to jog the entire thing in roughly 34 minutes, which makes me super happy. If I can do that for the race I will be super happy.

quantumxshaman likes this.
  5. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 16:

I just got done doing some askips, butt kicks, and high knee marching.

6. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 17:

I have just finished yoga and foam rolling. Tired but feel good.

7. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 18:

This morning I ran the route of the 5k again. I had to stop and walk a couple of times. I'm going to have to make sure to eat some food before I go running next time. I am now going to go sit in a hot bath to rest my legs and relax my muscles.

8. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 19:

Strength training. Hot bath yesterday really helped with soreness.

9. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 20:

Ran again on the route of the 5k. I ended up walking a couple of times during the run.

10. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 21:

Resting today

11. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 22:

I was able to do the full run with out any unscheduled stops. I forgot to mention this but I am registered for my first 5k

12. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

So what's the longest distance you've run without stopping now?

13. streammango

streammango Fapstronaut

bro i play football i have quitted pmo for 3 weeks i felt good but in 4th wek i come back to it later. how to stop this

14. Urge Surfer

Urge Surfer Fapstronaut

Exercise is so beneficial, both physically and mentally.
    As a rule of thumb don't increase your distance by more than 10% per week. Every 4th week drop back by about 25%. Following week back to where you was on week 4. Week 6 and 7 increass by 10%, week 8 reduce again and so on. Warm up before a run but don't stretch until you've completed your run. Keep most of your runs at conversational pace and slowly introduce speed work to one run a week. For example start with a gentle run for ten minutes to warm up. Then do 3 hard efforts for say 3 minutes with 3 minute recovery in between .
    When its shitty outside still go, no matter how you feel about it. I guarantee you will feel better for it when you get back .
    Enjoy and you will be surprised at where you will be in a year from now

SH

15. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Right now the program I am following is time based instead of distance based. On the route for the 5k I think I'm hitting the 1 mile mark at 10 minutes of running. To do the full distance of the 5k it's taking me a little less than 35 minutes. I think at this point my personal goal is to finish the race in under 30 minutes.

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  16. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 23:
    Rest day

17. Fightyourlowerself

Fightyourlowerself Fapstronaut

Tzion - are you from the UK?

If so, there's a running music / podcast series called "NHS Couch to £5k" - its the best programme ever. You can probably find it on YouTube if your not from the UK.

Basically its 13 weeks of podcasts. In week 1 your will jog for 2 mins, rest for 5 mins etc and it builds up so that on week 13 your running 5k in 30 minutes.

It tells you exactly when to start jogging, stop, etc and the music is really good running music.

I would look it up.

18. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

I do not live in the UK but I'm aware of apps like that. At this point I'm using my heart rate monitor's app to track not only distance but time. The program I'm using is similar in nature to the couch to 5k programs.

19. Tzion

Tzion Fapstronaut

Day 24 and 25:

24 was a rest day. 25 was a run day. I had to stop and walk a bunch but I still stayed under 35 minutes.

I think my goals will be as follows for the race day.

1. Run under 30 minutes.
    2. Run under 35 minutes
    3. Run with only stopping and walking 3 or less times.

20. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

good stuff. I got 13 miles in this afternoon.