1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Catholicism,Calvinism,Reformed Theology & Addiction Debate

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

Feel Good Cool Worship or Hymns and Hard Seats?

1. Feel Good Cool Worship?

25.0%
  2. Hymns and Hard Seats?

50.0%
  3. I don't even care!

25.0%
  1. Because he's an Apostol anyways and must confirm his brethren, like a preacher would do, understanding that Peter would be one of the first to share the gospel with other people who would become his brethren later; Jesuschrist would pray for Peter as his role in sharing the gospel amongs jews would be important in the consolidation of the first Christian communities and people, not necessarily because he's the Rock of The Church.

2. See and I think you’re ignoring that Christ never singled out one man when his instruction would have applied to all of them. He’s specifically giving Peter the mission to confirm all of them in the room of their faith after the coming trial of faith that is about to befall them. It’s clear Christ is specifically focused on Peter since after it says “And He said to them”. The writer clear sets the picture that Christ has a special intention for Peter and prays for Peter to carry it out for the benefit of the other Apostles. He’s being tasked with being a guardian. This is why the women come to Peter after Christ’s resurrection. It is why Peter is the first one to go into the tomb before John. Peter has been tasked to be a leader.

3. FranzVenator

FranzVenator Fapstronaut

Guys, really... I can't see myself as a calvinist YET. I'm still flirting with molinism, you know? But Jesus! Discovering reformed theology through the work of John Piper has changed my devotional life completely! The centrality of the Glory of God and His sovereignty are things I was taught to love by reformed preachers.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  4. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

What the heck is molinism?

5. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    LOL @ bickering, Max.

McM, the beginning of an answer - just by way of introduction rather than treatise or onstepping of toes. I believe in the gospel of a restored church. Interesting points about Peter, who with James and John restored the priesthood because anon it was lost amid corruption. False doctrines and persecutions were quick to supplant much truth. Obstacles like an incorrect idea to interpret and invent a 'holy trinity' as well as other manipulations. These things correctly led to the Protestant era, but the fractured nature and the lost truths leave not enough to construct a whole. And, without authority to protest, how shall we follow a detour from a detour? Thereby a restoration was necessary and is now declared all over the world with much success.

6. miXhal

miXhal Fapstronaut

In greatest extent, indeed! I´m sure that those who took part in that council prayed a lot to choose just the right writings and that Holy Spirit led them to accomplish that. So God decided what the bible should be through His catholic church.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Piper is who got me into reformed theology. (God loves himself more than he loves me) I was charismatic before.

8. Are you sure that's true since he gave himself up for you? Maybe we are splitting hairs.

vxlccm, miXhal and Deleted Account like this.
  9. since he did it for His Glory its true

10. Actually it is “God loves Himself and His image in me.”

Deleted Account and Mr. McMarty like this.
  11. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

What exactly is Calvinism and why should I care? I'm a new Christian, but I really can care less what denomination people claim to be. It's more tradition than anything. Either you're saved or you're not, right?

Anyway:

What does it matter if I appropriate symbolism or holidays in the worship and celebration of my Lord and Savior? I do it to glorify God and for no other reason, period.

Arguably, you wouldn't be so triggered when someone ignored your arbitrary rule for spiritual integrity, if you really knew Christ, my friend.

12. Now I cant find the piper quote haha but im sure i have his quote right

13. Total Depravity - As a result of Adam’s fall, the entire human race is affected; all humanity is dead in trespasses and sins. Man is unable to save himself (Genesis 6:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:10-18).

Unconditional Election - Because man is dead in sin, he is unable to initiate a response to God; therefore, in eternity past God elected certain people to salvation. Election and predestination are unconditional; they are not based on man’s response (Romans 8:29-30;9:11; Ephesians 1:4-6, 11-12) because man is unable to respond, nor does he want to.

Limited Atonement - Because God determined that certain ones should be saved as a result of God’s unconditional election, He determined that Christ should die for the elect alone. All whom God has elected and for whom Christ died will be saved (Matthew 1:21; John 10:11; 17:9; Acts 20:28; Romans 8:32; Ephesians 5:25).

Irresistible Grace - Those whom God elected He draws to Himself through irresistible grace. God makes man willing to come to Him. When God calls, man responds (John 6:37, 44; 10:16).

Perseverance of the Saints - The precise ones God has elected and drawn to Himself through the Holy Spirit will persevere in faith. None whom God has elected will be lost; they are eternally secure (John 10:27-29; Romans 8:29-30; Ephesians 1:3-14).

14. You correctly ask “why should I care” and then incorrectly assume the doctrine of “once saved, always saved” is a universal belief amongst Christians. That’s why you should care.

Exactly. Objecting to crosses being present in church is akin to calling family photos idolatry. The purpose of a photo is to recall your mind to a memory of a loved one in the same way a statue, cross, etc in a church are used to recall God’s glory.

15. Your on the right path. Stay on it!

16. I never thought of icons as family photos. Ill ask around my church on that one! ahahahaha

17. :( im sorry as the op i should always be civil witch i mostly was but not entirly. I think you guys are WAY more knowledgable than me thats for sure!

18. As long as they are civil I dont think we need to burn them :)

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  19. Iconography is actually very interesting as the style of art is considered sacred since for some pieces you are drawing the Word of God. Icons of saints would obviously be considered family photos since we are all one family in Christ aren’t we?

20. at my reformed church we dont even have a cross or celabrate christmas in the church. We have bare walls so that we error on the side of caution. Of course alot of reformed med drink sometimes and smoke pipes! Im getting more and more confused??!