1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your spouse know?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Deleted Account, Jun 3, 2019.

1. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

Why are you hiding from the person who could be your biggest cheerleader?

2. I fall in the same line of thinking as the previous poster @Everyonelies.

My wife has a lot on her plate (don’t we all) I am focusing on fixing me first. I promise you I will tell her once I have something to report. I want to be able to say, “honey, I love you. I have been working on myself in this area and this is the progress I have made in the last month. I really wanted to clue you in as your support will be helpful in my recovery”. Or something like that.

Knowing my wife, this will be the best approach. I’m close to having this conversation as I am proud of the progress I’ve made in a month. I acknowledge I have a long way to go but, I have come far on my own.

I feel if I drop this bombshell on her I will blindside her. She doesn’t think about sex like I do. I swear it doesn’t cross her mind. She has no idea that it’s been on my mind constantly since i was 12 lol. Therefore if I can show her some progress and tell her I want her to be aware of the process I am going through, the conversation will be much smoother.

Everyonelies likes this.
  3. Everyonelies

Everyonelies Fapstronaut

Thing is my wife isn't my cheer leader. She can be supportive, but she has no interest in encouraging me in such a fashion as you're suggesting.

Following an incident a bit ago where she walked in and found me M in the shower, I told her that M was an addiction and it was compulsive, her reaction was annoyance, like I was a child, and said so what your a little kid and need your nookie huh?

I love her very much, I do not intend for that to sound harsh but it is what it is. She is currently not able to accept that this is an addiction and giving it up can be like giving up meth.

Believe me I wish we had that kind of relationship. But I'm alone in this, her fickle and random affection makes it harder. She doesn't want to be the one pulling me off the ground or be a counselor or fixer...told me that herself.

So.... That's awesome those of you who have spouses that support and don't shame them. That isn't quite my marriage though, even after 17 years, and I think that there are others in not so ideal relationships but the advice to tell your wife your struggles bliny and she will be there for you would be disastrous because it would explode and you would continue being in bondage to PMO.

In reality I must continue to be PMO free for me and not her. I have five kids I need to a good father to and need me to be here for mentally and emotionally.

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.
  4. Hell yes! Every word rings true! I, and I presume many others fall into this category, and I don’t feel that makes my wife a bad person. I would love a spouse who was more nurturing and cared deeply about every emotion I have, but that’s not her. She would probably love a spouse that didn’t have such a short fuse, or was better at putting dirty clothes in the hamper, but that’s not me. I love her anyway.

Good on you to be here and trying to be a better version of you. I can relate with your walk

Everyonelies and need4realchg like this.

5. Agree with your statements here... you described my mother exactly.

Plus, the bottom line you need to be free for you first.... using your wife as leverage to leave this vice is a subtle manipulation tactic on yourself.

Be free for you. Once above your addiction you can be a help and not a drain on her.

6. Everyonelies

Everyonelies Fapstronaut

Same here. I am not saying these things to speak poorly of my wife. Marriage is a lot of hard work and it's harder when you find yourself realizing it isn't what you thought it'd be and you are facing challenges you didn't think you would have to. You naively think it'll all work out.

Now throw in you are an addict and you recycle the same mistakes. You recompile your guilt and shame over and over endlessly. You think of yourself as lowest of the low filth. Hopefully you dig yourself out but it's a cycle.

Pathetic to think for me.. But it's true... If I wasn't married and had no children I am sure I would be stuck coming home from work and PMOing all night long until the next day.

So what I must do is nofap to be a better man. And then I can say look what I have accomplished rather than I'm still working on it. I mean it will always be a danger but it won't be the same torture daily I think anyway.

@WhiskeyNeat I look forward to watching your journey as well sir. It is good to find one who relates in this way!

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.
  7. @Everyonelies well written piece bro. I am right there with you. Also, LOVE your moniker... something almost Salvador Dali about that level of realism....

I cringe often when I hear the "if your wife is like that, then why are you even with her" accusation that sometimes gets tossed in to an otherwise innocuous and necessary discussion.

You expressed it by the way, where the level of cynicism is basically chronic, now its a way of life. Yes I can understand deeper roots, longer marriages, and older couples will have a tougher road to travel in this sense.

I'm rooting for you. I can tell you, your wife won't change very quickly. The changes that she can detect in YOU will ALSO be slow in showing; but that's okay-- get your cavities cleaned out first. Worry about the restoration and cosmetic fixes once your emotional and sexual health is back to functional.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Everyonelies likes this.