1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get better at something.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by elevate, Dec 15, 2018.

1. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

You make mistakes.

You make a fool of yourself.

You take action despite being afraid, insecure, incompetent, inexperienced, clumsy, awkward, uncertain, frustrated, and just generally not knowing what the fuck you're doing.

Because of this process, you need courage whenever you reach for something beyond your current comfort zone / experience / competence level. Repeated courage eventually leads to competence. Repeated competence eventually leads to confidence. Repeated confidence eventually leads to more courage to push beyond your current place.

Too many people want the competence, competence, and desired outcomes without having to go through this process. Without having to take risks. They never want to fail, make mistakes, or get rejected. They only want their perfect desired outcomes without ever having to grow as a person.

The less stories and expectations you have in your head between you and your goal, the faster you'll get there. Because instead of dwelling on failures / outcomes, you focus on the process. Like a GPS device that offers new available routes whenever it hits an unexpected road block. If that device stopped and gave up after hitting the road block because that's not "how it's supposed to be" then you'll never get anywhere.

You get better at something by allowing yourself time to be terrible at it and have negative experiences.

2. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

Exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you.

3. FieryRocket

FieryRocket Fapstronaut

Great motivation. There is that saying it takes 10,000+ hours to become a master at something. That saying I believe is definitely true.

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

This process also leads to more courage to take more risks in other areas of your life.

The more you practice this process, the more you'll believe in it. So even if you have insecurities / incompetence and aren't able to fully believe in yourself... you can believe in the process to get you there. Then you can work towards something even if it might not work... even if it's difficult and scary.

Sinbad likes this.
  5. Der Drachenkönig

Der Drachenkönig Fapstronaut

Amazing read. Failure and mistakes are indeed things you must go through if you want to get good at anything in life, this is definitely something i needed to read, i will do my best to keep this in mind.