1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming addiction

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Boanerges777, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Boanerges777

Boanerges777 Fapstronaut

I have been playing this game called rust for a year now. It’s chewed up so much of my time and I just uninstalled it but I always do it and come straight back and I have online friends which makes it harder to quit.. Have any of you had a gaming addiction and what did you do to officially beat it? Also I have been playing games all the time since I was 7 and I am 20 now.

2. A couple of years ago I realized games were just a distraction, as I infer you are getting at. Deep down you know you have greater responsibilities to tend to. Do a bit of introspection and do what you feel you have to do to improve you life. Games will always be there but your life is what really matters. Work before play. You don't have to give up your favorite game but don't let it consume you.

3. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Not saying you need to do this but they literally have rehab places people go to for gaming addiction, though obviously that's extreme cases and not everyone is in a position to do one of those anyway.

If you can reframe it this way: You've been playing little games within The game - the game of life. Now you're just going to work on the main event.

Boanerges777 likes this.
  4. Same way you get past pmo. You have to get it out of your life and find a healthier replacement for it.

Boanerges777 and need4realchg like this.
  5. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

Consider replacing multiplayer games with singleplayer games. These are usually less addicting since you don't "have to be on all the time."
    Rust is a game that you typically have to be online for hours every day or else you lose all progress. Therefore it's a very difficult game to quit. So if you can play a singleplayer game instead, it will be easier to break the addiction in the long run.

6. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

Had a gaming addiction, and still have. For me the only way to quit it was to get rid of my pc. It is a drastic step, but since then my life has drastically improved and i think eventually i will be able to have a healthy relationship to games.
    Something that worked for a while for me, was to set certain times of the day where i could play and keep away from my pc for the rest of the day. But i would eventually slip up and fall back. Maybe you can try that.
    Just dont replace gaming with another unhealthy habit, especially pmo, and you will see that you start doing more in reallife and that you miss gaming less and less.

dwarfstruggles and Boanerges777 like this.
  7. I'd say I'm still addicted to gaming, mainly league of legends which I've played for around 5 years I think. But there have been times usually when I'm studying or doing something else where I just don't miss the game at all. I think if you can pay attention to how you feel when you want to play games maybe it can help. The healthiest way to play games is to do it as a reward, do something productive and rational in your mind then look forward to treating yourself afterwards with gaming. I've noticed recently when I play this new game mode on league with friends, I feel glued to the screen, tired and my brain feels a bit fried from playing for 3+ hours straight. Those moments are when I remember the game is driving my feelings when my body or mind needs something else like sleep, exercise or healthy food but I'm sucked in by the gaming fantasy world. So pay attention to what your body needs, your feelings, why you feel urges to play games and what will make you feel better or more accomplished

Boanerges777 likes this.
  8. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

As a person who loves playing games, my PC broke down and I cannot play anymore never again. Now I am forced to go outside.

Boanerges777 likes this.
  9. Boanerges777

Boanerges777 Fapstronaut

Thanks guys! This helped a lot. :)

Eternal Fire likes this.
  10. Pixelar

Pixelar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I used to be gaming addict i mean by playing game without responsibility, spending like 6-7 hours a day without doing anything meaningfull few years back. if u can manage the time and knowing what's important that you should be doing then you can still playing.
    after my daily works gaming is a treat for me now it can help to relax. so i think it's not a problem if u can limit the gaming time.

11. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

You have the word "Pixel" in your name, you are a man of culture.

12. ProtagonistOfMyLife

ProtagonistOfMyLife Fapstronaut

You are not alone man. Check out the "nogaming" subreddit.

dwarfstruggles likes this.