1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum practice time required to improve on any mental task?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Thanatos, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos Fapstronaut

So I'm trying to figure out the minimum practice times to improve and learn more on mental tasks.
    I feel like whenever I start something, 1/2 hour a day is enough to get the basics of it, but once I start getting further into it, it seems like I plauteu and don't go anywhere with that amount of time anymore. I'm trying to learn chinese and piano at the moment. Chinese I have just started learning so progress is pretty quick with 1/2 hour, but piano 1/2 hour doesn't do shit for me anymore. It's very frustrating, I'm never going to get to where I want to be working 40 hours a week and having a social life. I feel like I need to pursue part time work to improve upon my goals.
    I can bump up all my practice times to an hour, which is what I try for everyday, but usually only do 1/2hour... doing longer then 1 hour is difficult, except on the days that I'm off and then those days I usually want to socialize and be away from the house.
    I curse the 40 hour work week, who ever thought that was a good idea should be rotting in hell.
    For people like me who have lots of motivations and hobbies outside of work, it's really a nuisance.

2. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

I'm not about to give you advice on your piano and Chinese improvement but I just want to say I agree with you on the 40 hour work thing. It's pathetic that they try to make human beings so specialized. One thing we can learn from nomadic people, or former times is that we were more generalized in our skills and our activities. Now we sort of tend to be like specialized cells making up a body to attain as much results as we can. It's sickening how much they try to make life into obtaining as much results as possible, or how they make it into a competition.

3. FutureGuitarGod

FutureGuitarGod Banned by User Request

Given that I'm learning to play guitar, it's advised to practice at least a half hour to an hour daily for five days a week, but I have been slipping.

Learning a language can be more flexible. Say a new word or sentence daily and spend the rest of the time reviewing. Learning a language can take as little time as three months if you plan to do so conversationally. There's this Kiwi dude who breaks down this principle on a TED TALK-like video seminar on youtube.

Piano is much different from guitar, as a guitar typically has 6 strings versus the many strings inside of a piano along with the keys. I typically start off with the chords and scales I already know before working on learning a tab. I still haven't learned to play a song from start to finish, but I find that setting a time limit for practice leaves feeling bored or frustrated. Just picking up the instrument and playing without a time limit in mind is more enjoyable for me, but it may not be so enjoyable to you. Whatever the case, you should do what works for you.

4. Anthony Rod

Anthony Rod Fapstronaut

If you want to be a pro, there is a study that suggests doing it for 2 hours in a daily basis.
    I am also learning piano, haha. Have you tried the song: City of Angels, from 30 seconds to Mars. I love it.
    What songs are you starting to play, or how are you learning? Thanatos?

Thanatos likes this.
  5. Thanatos

Thanatos Fapstronaut

Well I used to jam with my friends and my uncle, but I've moved away from where I was. That was the fastest learning, because I didn't have to lead and I could just follow along and experiment while they carried the beat. Now I have a teacher and I'm learning to read music more.... I'm not very good at reading, but my teacher is cool, because he plays the pieces and then I record them and can figure it out back home a little bit easier with the recording.
    I'm learning a lot of different songs, this week playing a song called "restlessness"... It's by Bach's son and is kind of appropiate for the way I feel most of the time.
    Also all of the doors stuff and a few jazz pieces, blues for alice, blue monk, solar ect.. but I really enjoy playing most music. I learn faster songs more easily then slow songs, kind of counter intuitive, but I just enjoy playing them more.

6. mickeytee

mickeytee Fapstronaut

If any of you use a keyboard, I think synthesia is a great tool for deliberate practice.