1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I rarely meet my goals/expectations

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Reborn_, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

If I aim to workout 6 days per week, I workout 5 days. If I change my goal to working out 5 days per week, I workout 4 days.
    If I aim to quit fapping altogether, I end up relapsing once a week. If I change my goal to only fapping once per week, I fap every single day.
    So if I set large goals, I can still get a lot accomplished, but I am never satisfied, and the lack of satisfaction eventually crushes me. I continually lower my expectations for myself so that I can finally be satisfied but it never works.

2. Hey bro, how about start small? Try obe day at a time.

3. How about instead of lowering your expectations you start dropping all the excuses you give yourself for not meeting your goals

4. GuitarAfficionado

GuitarAfficionado Fapstronaut

It is easier to do small goals and then raise the expectations afterwards. If you got no gym habits, you probably won't go 6 times per week. I started the year with the intention of going twice a week to the gym. Now I'm raising to 3 because the habit is so firmly estabilished that it is easy. If I started out trying to go 3x a week, probably I'd fail.

Micro goals gets your momentum going, installs some confidence in you and in turn motivate you to accomplish even more.

Even so, I agree that you should drop excuses AND the belief that you can never achieve your goals. That's destructive and won't get you anywhere. Our challenges in life makes us grow way more than our successes.

5. Gordon Bear

Gordon Bear Fapstronaut

I feel ya man. It's been helpful for me to set smaller goals and aim for consistency. Even if it's working out once a week, if I do that consistently for a month or multiple months, I get a ton of confidence off that, and then I start thinking about raising my goal a little.

You got this bud.

GuitarAfficionado likes this.
  6. Kevoya

Kevoya Fapstronaut

Here's what Saitama's training regiment was "100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!".

7. GuitarAfficionado

GuitarAfficionado Fapstronaut

I bet you he didn't wake up one day and decided to do that randomly. He built a foundation first: habit, discipline and confidence (that comes from results).

We can't become athletes overnight

Kevoya likes this.
  8. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

Maybe you should stop being so specific. Exercising 5 times a week is terrific, you can't deny that just because you had actually planned to do it 6 times a week.

I'm also poor at being specific with goals. Doesn't work for me, I have to act on intuition, otherwise I just get anxious with "the list" I would have made.

9. Make a huge goal like "I aim to go to the gym for one year.. The deadline is 5th July 2020." Break the goal into many little goals. Into monthly goals, into weekly goals, into daily goals and into hour goals even minute goals are possible.

Again:
    "I aim to go to the gym for one year. The deadline is 5th July 2020."
    "I aim to visit the gym 12 times a month."
    "I aim to train regularly in the week. 3 times"
    "I aim to go to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday."
    "I aim to train on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for 1:30 hour/90 minute."
    "I aim to train one exercise in 3-5 minutes (with breaks)."
    "I aim to finish one set of every exercise in XY seconds."

Try it out. It will help you.

Kevoya and GuitarAfficionado like this.