1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My expectations were wrong

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by JensDK42, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JensDK42

JensDK42 Guest

I wanted to be a saint. I wanted to always think of everyone else. I had no selfrespect.
    It made me sad. Cause I'm the only one who'll look out for me, and I felt let down by everyone else. And then I talked it out with my father. He made the sentence "Put on your own oxygen mask first" make sense.

If I want to help others, I must take care of myself. People will rather be helped by someone who takes care of themself.

So I now have selfrespect, and it's much nicer. It's not: what can I do to make others happy? It's: what can I do to make me happy?
    I ended my shower this morning with cold water. And I laughed. I had to stop and wonder. I laughed over something so simple. I just felt, and still feel wonderful.
    Enjoy life free of worries, it's like you're a child again.

thedaring9 likes this.
  2. I've found that when I work on bettering myself, that this has more of a positive impact on others than when I put my energies working on other people. Now I'm not saying to not help other people, but rather to not underestimate the help you give someone when you fix your own problems. Lots of us have been inspired by other people who have overcome their own obstacles and conqurred their own demons.

Keep up the good fight, Naikolai!

3. universesu

universesu Fapstronaut

Take good care of ourselves is a way to help others more. Your father is insightful

Chefb87 likes this.
  4. Spot on. This is something everyone should know. Being a people pleaser will backfire, so let's take care of ourselves first.

Chefb87 likes this.
  5. Chefb87

Chefb87 Fapstronaut

I loved your post. One thing a reaally desire in life is to find that one woman, fall in love, get married, and be the best husband and father I can be. I feel like I need that in my life eventually. I've also realized that there is no way I would be able to be a loving husband, and a loving father if I'm still doing the same ol thing (PMO). I must learn to take care of myself and discipline myself FIRST before I can be everything I want to be. Your post made me smile. Thanks :)

6. NeedAChange

NeedAChange Fapstronaut

Fantastic post, Naikolai.
    Really struck a cord with me. I try hard to make others feel ok yet I don't feel ok myself. Self respect/esteem so important.

Your father is a wise man, and I hope you don't mind if I can take his words to you and use them myself.

7. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

When your cup is full it spills over onto others! Great lesson for sure.

8. JensDK42

JensDK42 Guest

I'm glad you guys could use it.
    I'm now at 31 days aka 1 month! :D

Kurapika and Limeaid like this.
  9. Aldrich8100

Aldrich8100 Fapstronaut

I agreed what is said above!
    Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had. Lots of us have been inspired by other people who have overcome their own obstacles and conqurred their own demons.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015