1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting another habit: MtG

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Terrier20, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Terrier20

Terrier20 Fapstronaut

Perhaps this is too much to do all at once, given that I’m only in day 9 with NoFap. But, the relative ease with which I’ve been able to refrain from PMO has be wanting to address another addiction that I see as being negative in my life.

I’m totally addicted to the game “Magic the Gathering.” Please don’t judge. I’m not the stereotype ... Most guys who play aren’t. Still, I see it as a negative in my life. I spend *A LOT* of time playing, and have spent ***A LOT*** of money playing. I’ve traveled to Grand Prix and major events, but really haven’t achieved much success. I cracked the top 20 in my state ... big deal (ironic face there), and won a few low level tournaments. And, from all that, over years, I don’t feel like I’ve made any friends from it, developed any relationships, and have instead wasted tons of time and money. I think about it a lot, watch YouTube videos about it, and go to MtG sites. I’ve tried to cut back a few times, but each time it comes back harder than before. Now, I do have a couple of friends who lightly play, and occasionally we’ll have some beers and play, and that’s fun. But, I don’t really want the huge hold the rest of it had on me. To put it plainly, I’m addicted.

Reading the NoFap forums and the hold PMO has on people — especially dopamine rushes and desensitization — I feel like (at least for me) there are major parallels to MtG and PMO.

So, I need to cut back. I don’t want to give it up entirely (I do enjoy it, and I don’t want to go entire ascetic) but I need to “reset,” so to speak. So, I want to go 30 days with no MtG — no touching cards (which clearly means no playing), no Web sites, and no YouTube videos. After that, I want to cut my collection by 2/3. That will be very hard, but, again, I feel like it will be necessary.

Somehow, this feels harder that no PMO. And, that means I need to do it desperately.

Anyone else here experience a gaming addiction? I could use some support on this one. I think I’d be a better person if I can do it.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Freedom_from_PMO

Freedom_from_PMO Fapstronaut

I think that competitve gaming is much more addictive than casual gaming, better play with friends than on tournaments.

Yep u do likes this.
  3. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

Hey, if you decided it is bad for you, then it is a good idea thinking on dropping it.
    I think you could use that time selling your cards and taking another hobbie as a positive way of using your time, and thus helping with NoFap as well.

I haven't experienced addiction to games, but I do have experienced using them as an escape.

I think that, if MTG didn't give you what you expected from it to your life, then move on, try something else. The game won't go nowhere, you can play it whenever you want in the future if you want to. Also, you have your friends to play it with, that's great!