1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Self improvement books

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Jimmy Johnson, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Do any of you like the books by Dale Carnegie and Jordan Peterson? In the meantime , could you also suggest some good self improvement books?

lvcas likes this.
  2. mgz069

mgz069 Fapstronaut

Woodcutter74 and lvcas like this.
  3. lvcas

lvcas Fapstronaut

I have Peterson’s book but have only read the first two chapters because of time constraints. His lectures are really good, though, and I suppose the book is like a synthesis of his thought, which should mean it’s pretty damn good.

In the meantime, I’ve been reading Never Split the Difference, by Chris Voss, and I’m liking it a lot! It discusses negotiation and how to make it more effective, which sounds right if you’re perhaps trying to become more assertive, and it’s always a good thing to have under your belt. It’s full of practical advice and the writing is super compelling. If that tickles your fancy, I’d say go for it!

It could be interesting to keep a thread running about any books you’re reading.
    All the best to you, man! Keep us posted.

lb

4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I have a rather negative opinion about what Peterson teaches, but it's only my view. I believe the way he delivers the message is great, but I started to not believe in his message anymore, it's superficial. I disagree with start by cleaning your room or stand up straight; those are symptoms, not causes for our distresses; the causes are in our minds.

For me what works is philosophy. Personally I boiled down self-help to how to be my own good friend and how to live a good life. The one I have to respect the most and work for is myself. I don't believe in fake it 'til you make it, I genuinely believe that once the mess in our heads is untangled, life will go smooth.

On youtube I listen usually to lectures of Wes Cecil, and highly recommend his lectures on Epicurus, Tao the Ching and Buddhism; the first two are hilarious and make you painfully aware of your false judgements. From then one can move on other topics, such as "Languages and Civilizations: Cuneiform languages" and other lectures such as "Humane Arts: Walking" and "Uses of philosophy: Health". The guy also delivered two lectures on money and why we get it so wrong. There are so many wonderfully presented lectures from this guy, he's super funny and yet forceful in his presentation, makes you realise how wrong your thinking was and still is.

Then I'd suggest books that lead you to self discovery, because we're all a bit fucked up and we should first clear the mess in our brains. Books such as "Running on empty", "The boy who was raised as a dog" and "The body keeps the score" have been for me eye openers.

My personal philosophy is that procrastination, lethargy, lack of good judgement, all stem from the same source, they have the same root: the mess in our heads that we are running away from. Clear that and your mental fog will go away, procrastination will disappear like magic, because you develop purpose and life will work out.

lvcas likes this.
  5. As far I could understand from Peterson cleaning your room is also a euphemism for getting your life in order. As far I could understand, standing upright is body language for I am not afraid of life circumstances.
    There is a book by Deanna Lorraine "Make love great again" which claims confidence is important if a man wants a girlfriend he has to be confident. The book also proposes standing upright among other things.

properWood likes this.
  6. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I didn't think of the metaphorical interpretation of Peterson's advice, I have to agree with that, I'll probably re-read his book with a different attitude.

Fully agree with confidence for a man, but I believe though that building confidence comes not from a posture that one artificially takes, but from the pleasure of being in one's own skin, content with who that person is, and that's where the mindfulness of one's thoughts (or fixing the mess in the head) is necessary.

mgz069 likes this.