1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dating Sites/Apps

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Deleted Account, Jul 13, 2019.

1. I'm a single, lonely, almost 20 year old guy living in the west coast that wants a real, romantic relationship with a nice girl. But I don't get out much since I don't have a social life and I've always been curious about dating sites and apps, so I thought I'd try a few. I signed up on Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge and ended up sticking with only Tinder since Bumble seemed to have a lot of abandoned accounts and Hinge looked dead.

After reading a lot of research and advice about how to construct a good Tinder profile, I made mine and with time, improved it. In about 4 days, I've gotten at least over 30 likes (2 of them that I know of being super likes) and 3 matches, none of them panning out. Now obviously, there's nothing that beats connecting with people in real life and this does require some amount of patience, but if any of you have used Match.com, Tinder, PoF, CMB, OKC, etc, which ones have worked for you in terms of searching for real relationships?

Action likes this.
  2. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

From POF I have had two relationships (including my current one). While there are always a large number of people on there, finding genuine people with decent profiles looking for a relationship takes a fair bit of hard work. It's free (really not worth taking a paid account) which is good for quantity, less good for quality in terms of how little effort many people put in, with often dubious intentions.

Another relationship came out of eHarmony, it's very expensive but the people on there with paid accounts tend to put the effort in and are more likely to be genuine than certain other sites. That said, not many people are willing to pay, so it's full of dormant accounts and you can't tell whether the accounts are still active, which is poor.

Match.com I found a total waste of time and money - a borderline scam full of non-payers who you can message if you pay extra and effectively subsidise them.

Tried Tinder and Bumble but had no luck with either.

Action and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Thanks for replying. Plenty of Fish, I avoided it initially because I read from folks that have used it that it has a lot of bots that pretend to be women and then when you actually find someone, they tend to have sleazy intents (be it just looking for more followers on their social media to a hookup) and that it's a matter of doing a lot of weeding through that.

But I suppose Tinder is similar in that regard, so hey. Gotta take a chance, right? With Plenty of Fish, did you use the app or the website? Unless it doesn't matter which, though I assume people my age would use the app.

Yeah, that's an immediate turn-off, being just a student, I'm fairly broke-ish. :emoji_joy:

I've found the same on Zoosk.com. I checked it out since I kept seeing sites saying it was the most successful dating site right now and after making an account, I found this girl that seemed interesting. But I couldn't even message her without paying. To pay for the slim chance to:

• Get a good conversation going.
    • Form a date.
    • Have the date go well.
    • It eventually turns into a relationship after a few more successful dates (and I'm very new to dating, mind you).
    Is absurd to me.

4. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

Yeah you do get some of that but it's an annoyance more than anything, and you can usually spot the fake accounts a mile away.

Both, depending on whether using my phone/tablet or laptop. It doesn't make a lot of difference, though the app gives you access to the neat 'Nearby' feature. The website though allows you to view your contact history... better than messaging the same person twice by mistake.

Yep it's a complete con. And given that it's men who are expected to send the first message, it puts us at a distinct disadvantage as no-one is likely to subsidise us.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Innervision

Innervision Fapstronaut

I've used only Tinder and unfortunately it was always a total failure to me! lol
    Time to time I give it another try to see if things have improved on my side, but the results are always the same. Very few matches and none of them interesting and meaningful. Important to say that I'm just a normal guy in terms of appearance, not particularly handsome or terrible. I think the app favors woman A LOT on this game, since it's much more easy to girls get people liking their profiles. I'm always stumbled with the number of absolutely gorgeous girls that still have a profile on the app (they clearly wouldn't need it), and still is a puzzle to me if is just to get some ego boost or things like that. All in all, Tinder had brought me only frustrations and a lot of opportunities to binge by P-subs kind of stuff.

Deleted Account and need4realchg like this.
  6. Maryan Jama

Maryan Jama Fapstronaut

Hi there. I actually was using match.com and it's totally waste of time and some of them are scam. So I m using now lovehabibi where I found someone there and have in harmony with him but we are facing some difficulties in relocation but our love is above those things. Hope you can try that and find it useful for you

7. Zapster21

Zapster21 Fapstronaut

I have used the dating app Happn. It has worked fantastic for me in just 3 weeks! 4 dates, made out with 3, had sex with two.

8. Yup, it only took me just a day of using it to realize it really does favor women. Plus, I was getting addicted to seeing likes, so I deleted it. It just doesn't seem worth it.

9. I'll consider it, thanks. :D

10. Alright, I may check that out. I AM primarily interested in a real connection, just so you know, not tail. Just in case this app turns out to be another hookup one.

11. Zapster21

Zapster21 Fapstronaut

I'm looking for a GF. And most girls look for that. When you go on dates it's really easy to reflect that you're into relationship rather than hookups.

Action and Deleted Account like this.