1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

MCU Phase 4

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by AtomicTango, Jul 21, 2019.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

So the first set of movies for the MCU Phase 4 have been revealed, and I'm not gonna lie, apart from Blade, I'm somewhat underwhelmed, but I would love to hear what you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Loki and What if? Sound awesome.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I would be interested if they weren't on Disney+. I wont be paying for that service and probably wont make the effort to pirate it.

4. I am mainly interested in Blade, but I wouldn't mind checking out Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness and What if...?

5. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

This whole list has a bit of randomness feeling to it. What sort of big event do you think they're setting up for?

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I had that feeling as well, and to that end I'm not so sure. I think perhaps the main teasing will go back to being done with the after credits scenes, and the actual movies will be more scattered in their approach.

7. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Feige and the Marvel team have been absolutely crushing it for 10 years ... I'm okay with giving them a year to relax a bit.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed we didnt get ANYTHING for X Men other than the namedrop, although perhaps its still too early to realistically expect anything.

9. Yeah, i agree, i'm dissapointed too. I would have liked to see something for xmen or fantastic four, but even if not, its still fairly lame. I'm also bummed that jane is turning into thor.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Giving Jane the mantle of Thor after her being gone for so long (does Endgame really count? I would say no as it was reused footage) seems baffling to me, especially after the movies have taken so much time to reorient actual Thor into a good position for future stories. At least we still have GOTG3 which he will presumably be in still.

As for Xmen or FF4, I dont think a simple namedrop is really enough to get me excited, I mean seriously, we already could have guessed the movies were being made, I wanted to see something of it! Even a logo would have sufficed! I'll concede that the other movies probably wont be outright bad, but theres nothing that stands out apart from Blade, and apparently that isn't even a Phase 4 movie anyway.

11. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

I'm over superhero movies. Time for a new genre to be king I reckon.

12. Got anything in mind? I wouldnt mind seeing more period epics myself, stuff like Gladiator, its been awhile since they've made anything good like that

13. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

The new genre is the musical biopic. We had Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, next year we'll have Elvis, I Still Believe (a biopic about Christian artist Jeremy Camp), and a bunch of others are in the works.

Basically, Hollywood is scared of original ideas. The reason there are so many sequels, remakes, and spinoffs is because studios need as much guarantee of a built-in fan base as possible who will show up on opening weekend and drive ticket sales and buzz (if the movie is good, a strong opening weekend helps boost the motivation for others to go see the movie ... and it's even a bigger necessity if the movie is bad. That way, they can sell as many tickets as possible before bad word-of-mouth kills its theatrical run).

I miss the 80's for a number of reasons ... but think about the original ideas that were hatched in that era: The Breakfast Club (all the John Hughes movies, for that matter), Back To The Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars (ok, that was 1977, but close enough), The Last Starfighter, Conan, First Blood, Terminator, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Ghostbusters, Goonies, ET, Karate Kid, Top Gun, Die Hard, Predator ... these were all original for their time. What a great time to grow up.

14. I’d say Endgame was something of the end for the MCU. While phases 1-3 had buildup towards Avengers films and the Black Order unveiling, there is nothing here on that level of scale. And Blade may not be rated R like the Wesley Snipes flicks, since compared to 20th Century Fox with Logan & Deadpool, Disney is more family friendly, so that would be disappointing. I’m also surprised Thor L&T is a thing, because the comics sold terribly (due to third wave feminism being implemented, as well as jane foster just simply being a gender swapped thor rather then more of her own deep character).

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm kinda burnt out on comic book movies in general, or at least getting that way. Dont get me wrong, theres stuff I want to see, but I dont care anywhere near as much as I used to. I really dont see how they can top the last ten years of buildup to Endgame, even if the movies retain the same quality, the law of diminishing returns is going to kick in anyway for a lot of people I think.

Deleted Account likes this.