1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Uni course regret

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Nick:3, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Nick:3

Nick:3 Fapstronaut

I'm on a Concept Art BA hons course moving in to third year, however I have lost motivation for the subject and it no longer interests me, not to mention I feel like I don't fit in in my class.

I don't really want to go back to uni next year, and I feel my course won't help me progress with my life or excite me.

Does anyone know if a BA honours can help you break in to jobs or give you more opportunities?

Also I need help finding my purpose badly, I'm generally scared of the future, I'm 22 atm and I feel like I have no direction in life and have lost my passion for living and feel hopeless in finding a job that I'll be happy doing (which is a must have in my life).

2. Not being judgemental but when I was reading this, I couldn't help talk out "why do art students get tired so fast?"
    I mean I was not planning commenting today but I resonated with this narrative. I have seen 3 of my friends pursuing Industrial Fine Art related courses drop out. Just 2 days ago, another was telling me he's tired and feels like dropping out yet he's exceptional and lecturers actually covet his work.
    The most hurting was one who was on government scholarship and had a year to go and he dropped out. No economic stress, no retakes (he was damn bright) just like that- tired. Like wth man! just get that paper, you got a year to go and years to save.
    Like ok, you don't feel the course no more but the future is bitchy, that paper might come in handy.
    I feel like partly the reason is that our 20's is when we are looking inside for who we are, our purpose, our place on this planet. So we are very prone to suggestibility and it's always in opposition of what we are doing at present. That's how funny the brain run by ego can be. I mean that's my hypothesis.
    You gotta be sure you really know who you are, what your capabilities are and what it is you want your life here to be.
    If I would call the shots, I would tell you to get to your desk and complete that course. It's unlikely that it will forever be a complete waste of time. Trust that the universe conspired for your good to get you where you are.
    If you change your perception, the whole thing might change for glory glory and a productive energy will widen your smile.
    These are my honest words.

3. Maybe you should sit down with a school or career counselor. Sounds like you need to reassess what you want to do with your life.

I'm a big advocate for not wasting time and money on a degree you don't even know if you want. It's perfectly reasonable to take some time out to think.

Also, I know it doesn't feel like this at the moment, but 22 is still young. You have soooo much life still ahead of you, Lord willing. My mom raised me and my sister as a stay at home mom and loved every minute of it, and once we were grown, she had to figure out what she wanted to do. The past few years she's been looking into new career options, considered going back to school to become a social worker, etc, and she's a good 20+ years older than you. And yet she still has a good 20 years or so of work left to do, if she doesn't retire early. You've got a lot of time. Don't worry too much yet. Just take some time off and think about what you want to do.

RealMe and Mr. McMarty like this.
  4. It might, or it might not. There are tons of people who are suffering with mountains of student loan debt, with a completely worthless degree that hasn't helped them get a job at all.

I don't want to be a downer, but this whole "just get a degree and it will be worth it" mindset is just not true. It's not always worth it. It can be a massive waste of time and money if you don't know where you're going with your future or if the degree you're getting provides any kind of job opportunities. And art degrees are probably likely to fall more on the useless side than the useful side, in my opinion. I didn't become an author by getting a 4 year degree in literature and spending thousands of dollars to get there. I became an author by writing a book. You don't always need a degree to do what you want to do, and it would be wise to think about that before continuing to spend so much time and money on school.

Deleted Account and Mr. McMarty like this.
  5. You are right yet we are talking about a person who's already 2 years in. The career advice would much benefit a person not yet there.
    I stand by all I said