1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How much of "anxiety" is a healthy thing?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by greenishmoon, Jul 27, 2019.

1. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

Since I learned about the word I think I misinterpreted it as something exclusively bad for oneself. Recently I've read in a psychology book a small passage that was about how anxiety is not solely a way of giving a message of fear but that actually it is a necessary feeling for having a healthy psyche, and that the body's objective is not to lack it but to sustain a moderate ammount of it.

That said, and connecting the subject to social anxiety, how much of this awareness is healthy? How much do you think it is needed?

I ask because I think that I could be taking some anxiety and interpreting it as bad or harmful when maybe it is altogheter normal, even if it is somewhat energy draining.

2. kisg12364#h

kisg12364#h Fapstronaut

This is solely just my opinion, I think that "normal" should just be enough that it doesn't interfere with your life.

3. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

I would say you need enough awareness to reflect your actions in social situations, so you dont become a complete asshole, but not so much that you overthink every little thing in your life.

4. Big part of social anxiety is the fear of rejection. Fear of rejection is crucial for survival in small tribal groups roaming the wilderness, because rejection (especially by the group leader) means immediate death.

How useless it is in modern society you can figure out yourself.

timetoreset likes this.