1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

EMDR Therapy

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Di.Do.555, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

Does anyone know anything about this therapy?
    It is about healing trauma/anxiety around it.
    So it must be great for any addiction.

2. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Have you tried talking to your doctor or therapist about it?

3. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

EMDR is a technique for repressed memory integration and it simulates your REM sleep. It helps integrate repressed memories from the unconscious into your day to day life; it seems to sometime work. I read a lot about it in a book called "the body keeps the score".

I had EMDR done on me several times, but either I couldn't focus or the therapist was incompetent in this technique. Rather little is known about the inner workings of why the brain responds to the finger movement, it just works in some cases. Don't try to do it by yourself or with a friend, because neither of you would have the training to control the emotional responses.

As @DerSchütze suggests, seek the advice of a therapist (not a counsellor)

4. DeepParkWater

DeepParkWater Fapstronaut

I read about it when i was considering seeing a councelor for sexual health. Essentially youre right it deals with stimulating different areas of the brain and has had success in helping with trauma.

Di.Do.555 likes this.
  5. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

I had my second session today- i feel really dizzy.

6. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

7. DrStrangeloaf

DrStrangeloaf Fapstronaut

I did receive a few sessions but the conclusion that my therapist reached is that it only worked on a cognitive level and not on an emotional level. I'm taking medication for depression, SA and ADHD so my mood is mostly plain. Also, the memories that we were going to work on from my childhood were in some way processed or at least "overthought" by myself.

8. DeProfundis

DeProfundis Fapstronaut

I've gone through it. Felt great and more hopeful about the future after that.

9. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

10. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut