1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Samwise_Gamgee, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Samwise_Gamgee

Samwise_Gamgee Fapstronaut

Hello!

I am interested in meditation and wanted to get everyone's view on this. I tried it for myself for a couple weeks some year ago and it seems to calm my mind down and give me more clarity of thought. What are your experiences with meditation and how do you do it? I used to focus solely on my breathing with a total objective view, because that was what i read about meditation on the internet. I used to do it for about 20 minutes every time. The focus on the breathing is something I use when I'm under a cold shower, to channel the feeling of the cold water on my body and to control my bodily functions like my heartbeat and the shivering (which I don't do anymore, only after a long time under a cold shower).

I just want to open a thread where meditation can be discussed, because I find that a lot of people in the NoFap are meditating. So people, share your experiences an thoughts!

2. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

Mindfulness meditation has been extremely helpful to me in dealing with anxiety and depression, and also in quitting PMO. I strongly recommend it.

I would recommend you read "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Gunaratna. It's the best book on the subject I've read, and I've read a lot. You can also check out mindful.org

GreatScott! likes this.
  3. GreatScott!

GreatScott! Fapstronaut

Thanks, 11 for the book recommendation and the link. Lots of good reviews on goodreads as well, so I went ahead and ordered a copy. I'm just beginning to think about beginning a meditation habit as well, and turned to utube vids, esp the Vipassana way which is supposed to cleanse the subconscious of any desires and aversions. Sounds right up my alley! I do find that just monitoring my breathing will help me fall back asleep at night when my mind is racing away, although sometimes it takes awhile.

I plan to start with 10 min. and work my way up. I know it will be a struggle to find some time in the day where I can meditate uninterrupted for any length of time.

4. Stranglethorn

Stranglethorn Fapstronaut

5. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Fapstronaut

discovered nofap after years of breath meditation , i realized nofap is a lot easier for me compared to my friends im 19 years old still on puberty XD , i noticed the sensation of the breath feels more warmer, compact, stable and solid when on NoFap i call it breathgasm , meditation helps nofap & nofap helps meditation this is seriously a good combination

6. michgem0707

michgem0707 Fapstronaut

I use my phone and a couple guided mediation podcasts. They are a great help to get started. Start with the breathing exercises it is great and slows the mind down. You learn to let the wondering thoughts pass in by.

7. Philip1990

Philip1990 Fapstronaut

Headspace.com <- Guided Meditation. Also meditation helps me dealing with the past , anxiety , depression basically every thought.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015