1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on cold showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Megasameru, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Megasameru

Megasameru Fapstronaut

I started cold showers a few days ago, by the time I did it twice. It felt kinda good the healthy heat exhuding my body, but after 2nd day I couldn't stop trembling afterwards, and woke up feeling a little sick. Also I felt tense and sore in my back the whole day. What is your experience on cold showers? Can I get sick? What benefits did you notice? It is winter btw and I dont use room heating.

By the way it totally kills the urges!

2. Megasameru

Megasameru Fapstronaut

Also, Im really skinny and trying to gain weight. I read it makes you lose fat. Is this true?

3. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

How cold are these showers? Where I live the water is much warmer in the summer than the winter.

4. Megasameru

Megasameru Fapstronaut

Usually it changes here too. Now the weather is at 3 celsius degrees (37 fahrenheit) so water must be around the same

5. MarkoSkoricFit

MarkoSkoricFit New Fapstronaut

Cold shower benefits have been blown out of proportion.

The only benefits:

- Less evaporation and atomisation of toxics, and
    therefore less is inhaled and absorbed.

- You save money on heating.

Everything else such as more Testosterone, burning fat, etc. is overblown.

It could raise Cortisol and noradrenaline because of the shock and therefore make you feel more "awake" but you actually want less of these.

You can stimulate them in other ways.

6. im’possible

im’possible Fapstronaut

I do summer time only because I got sick on last winter. I got no worry about losing weight because I deserve it.

I already lost a lot through PMO. Including nutrients. I think stopping PMO and eat like rest of the folks will slowly get back to the shape.

7. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

Start your shower with warmer water and slowly lower the temperature.
    You want to be able to relax & keep breathing. No need to put your body in shock. Adapt gradually.

staticboy likes this.
  8. rafael33

rafael33 Fapstronaut

In Germany the water in wintertime is about 10-12 degrees Celsius, also when outside temperature is about 0 Degrees. I like the refreshment of cold shower. Unfortunately in summertime there is no real cold water.

9. Megasameru

Megasameru Fapstronaut

Thanks for the input! Im getting a few chilblains since I started the cold showers (I usually have them in winter anyway). I think it is ok if I stop them at least until spring. It was a great thing anyway and it sharpened my self-discipline and decision making a lot, since I was never been able to do it before. What do you guys think?

10. Advice on cold showers?
    Listen to your body. I personally do 1-2 minutes under the coldest water right after I woke up and clean my teeth. That´s enough. Don't be long there too much.

In the morning is the best time to do it. Also maybe in the evening you can try it what helps you sleep better warm/cold shower.

And don´t do it after workouts. It´s scientific proven that it can cut your gains.

HegHeu and Megasameru like this.
  11. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

A cold shower is a great stimulant before a workout.

staticboy likes this.
  12. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

In true philosophical fashion, I believe that the OP question could be, more likely, "what is a cold temperature for a shower?"

Here's my definition:
    - freezing -> while freezing means "ice forming", in this case it would be teeth shattering cold water, under 10C
    - effin' cold -> between 10 and 20C
    - cold -> water temperature is lower than body temperature, somehow between 20 and 36C
    - luke warm -> kind of same temperature or slightly warmer than body temperature, say 37 to 38C
    - warm -> i can honestly stay under the water for hours, something like 39 to 42C
    - hot -> steam comes out, over 45C; by the way, above 50C you're likely to get scalding.

My suggestion is to take showers with water temperature just slightly lower than your body's temperature and adjust to that. Then lower the water temperature if you feel like it, but seriously, don't go the Russian way to jump into a frozen lake every morning; that I think is a bit irresponsible and could get you some pneumonia and shit.

13. Batty Belfry

Batty Belfry Fapstronaut

I start with a cold shower for a few minutes and finish showering in luke warm water.
    Cutting down the time you take a shower every day while waking up more alert makes you ready for the rest of the day.

I like to stand slightly under the shower head and do a 360 degree turn to get my body through the shock faster.

14. Abetterbrain

Abetterbrain Fapstronaut

I’ve been taking only cold showers for about 2 years now. I like them as having warm showers makes me sweat for ages after and I also feel sick. I originally did then as I read loads of positive stuff online like improved mental health and less brown fat. I’m not sure if this is true. All I know is that they make me feel awake so I like them.

Only downside I’ve noticed is my skin got really dry at first and used to peel. That doesn’t happen anymore. My genitals don’t retract anymore either. I guess my body is used to it.

15. moulox

moulox Fapstronaut

I've been using cold water for bathing since I was 19 yrs old. Except for 1 winter I spent in northern Europe where the cold water was making my scalp hurt, that make's it about 20 years. It found it pretty easy actually because I started showering that way during a summer so that wasn't a huge shock to adapt to. I can't tell if this or riding a motorcycle all year long played a part in it but I can say I tolerate lower temperatures better than most of other people, plus many years would pass until I would catch a cold (last 5 years I think my age is start to show lol). I found no disadvantages in showering this way, except maybe being less tolerant in high temperatures.

16. Not sure about everyone else but i always push the limits, every where i go i always do the coldest setting, the coldest was in kentucky, it was so old my skin went numb haha, but i loved it!!!!!!, you can do what you want but my advice is always go the coldest setting, does not matter what time of year.

17. NitricOxide

NitricOxide Fapstronaut

As someone who hails from a colder region, it's depressingly foggy right now, cold showers only make you sick. Which is why, I can't relate when people in sunny places have such a hard time with cold shower.

If it's not cold enough for you try a ice bath.

BravelyKegger likes this.
  18. user10111

user10111 Fapstronaut

I feel like I'm catching Flue because of cold showers.
    My throat got very sore. Becareful with cold showers.

19. Makes you feel good and relaxed. Wakes you up. Makes you feel stronger. Makes you happier. Starts off your day positive makes you feel more clean.

That's the benfits I get personally from my own experiance not from google or any website never experiance anything negivite from them