1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a thought that came to my mind

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by b-v-o-y, Aug 11, 2019.

1. b-v-o-y

b-v-o-y Fapstronaut

I'm sure it's been said in some way or another, but I wanted to share an insight that I thought of just now

We all know the saying by Albert Einstein:
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

I thought some more about what this really means in terms of PMO, and I think I finally got it. Many of us (myself included) use PMO as an escape from something - whether from loneliness, boredom, pain, etc.

And to solve this we use the same thinking as we did when we created this problem. We try to escape from PMO and run from it, but eventually it always catches back up to us. So of course the solution is to embrace the urges and transform them into something else rather than try to run away from it. Maybe even run towards the urges, feel them and not just replace them with a cold shower or some other avoidance strategy. I won't go into too much detail, since there are countless posts on how to do this. Just a thought I wanted to share.

celery_tree likes this.
  2. b-v-o-y

b-v-o-y Fapstronaut

Also - now is the time to start, especially if school hasn't begun yet. Start the journey to a PMO-free life when it's the hardest, because I know for me when school starts it will be significantly easier to resist the urges. So that's why I'm starting now when I'm still on summer break, when I have ample time.

Desert Knight likes this.
  3. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

When you try to escape from PMO it reinforces the belief that you're someone that will eventually indulge in PMO.

You have to find something more important than PMO. Something you want to do more than it. Something you want to achieve more than it. So instead of escaping PMO, it's not even a part of your thoughts, feelings, or actions anymore. Thus letting go of the need to escape it and letting go of the reinforcement of the identity that you're someone that indulges in it.

This is why I don't like using the nofap counter. Whether it's a 1000 days or day 1... I'm going to live a life that doesn't involve PMO. So what's the use in counting it unless you have plans to continue PMO as a lifestyle? It doesn't matter how many days you have on that counter if you still have the self sabotaging identity that you're someone that indulges in PMO.

b-v-o-y likes this.
  4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I gather we need to put up billboards :p

Your PMO is not the cause of your troubles; PMO is the consequence.

PMO is a response to the emotional pain you are running away from: "I'm not good enough". You're running away from the pain, like me and many others here, and you find solace in PMO. So to cure yourself from PMO, deal with the loneliness and boredom head on, live it, experience it and go through it, learn that you are good enough the way you are. PMO is an escaping behaviour, it helped you survive as a child, but in adulthood it fucks you up.

b-v-o-y likes this.
  5. b-v-o-y

b-v-o-y Fapstronaut

Couldn't agree with this more. Well said!