1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any full-time job without a college degree?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 10, 2019.

1. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Chik-Fil-A pays $15/hr. I don't mean to shoot down any hopes you might have, but I am almost 30 years old and I'm finishing college this semester. The job options opened up almost immediately, and I spent most of my 20s bartending (actually decent pay) and floating between white-collar kinds of work. Almost nobody called me back when I didn't have a college degree, and almost every bone I was thrown was because of a friend that went to college or because my resume made it unclear. But every desirable job seemed to care that I didn't have a college degree, and therefore didn't hire me. And, like I said, my portfolio of white collar work (writing, copywriting, editing, ad copy, account management) was pretty robust.

You can get around this, but I almost hate typing that because people tend to take that advice and run with it. A college degree does a lot more than people tend to give it credit for. They point to blue collar jobs like welding. I went to a top 50 university on scholarship (I had a scholarship left from a LONG time ago lol) and even "gender studies" majors make more on average from my university than any blue collar field I researched on average.

People don't talk about this; people with college degrees I think on average make ~$2 mil more than not, and community college can save you money from a 4 year university and (very) potentially score you some scholarships to offset difficulties like cost.

But yes, you can probably do stuff like bartend, or work in a hotel, which used to get me tons of money. I travelled the world on bartending wages. But I hope I never bartend again.

2. MisterDirection

MisterDirection Fapstronaut

I didnt talk about degrees being more lucrative because the OP asked specifically about what he could find that DID NOT utilize a degree.

Truck driving used to be the way, it's been regulated so much now so that only the buf companies will survive and they do it off the backs of hiri.g 30 people at a time because they know half will have a major accident in the first 6 months and that will more than likely disqualify them in the long run. This also hurts the company, but the bigger the wallet, the easier it is to survive this stuff. I did it in the days before all the electronic junk and new rules. Never had an accident while doing it OTR and didnt do drugs to stay awake. Brought home checks that I needed a truck to carry to the bank
    Not the case in the industry now.

Scholarships are great if you qualify or you actually get one handed to you. Good on you mate for getting one, but that's the exception not the rule.

3. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Throughout my whole “high school career” not once did I hear mention of trade school. College, college, college is all that was shoved down our throats. I’m a journeyman electrician with no college degree. Commercial scale is 33 an hour where I live and Industrial scale ranges between 40 to 60 an hour.

4. Advocate109

Advocate109 Fapstronaut

I have a degree and still work retail for now sooo

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

6. You're stupid for earning a degree.

7. Advocate109

Advocate109 Fapstronaut

I'm stupid for earning an actuarial science degree and still being in the midst of taking my exams to be an actuary assistant? Explain

8. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Factory work. All you need is high school usually.