1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Spartan Race

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by attempt45001, Aug 27, 2019.

1. attempt45001

attempt45001 Fapstronaut

Im going to try training for a spartan race in November. i think it will be healthy. does anyone have advice for how to do it without equipment, i really dont have the money for a gym. im in pretty good shape strength wise but no stamina.

2. Newlife33

Newlife33 Fapstronaut

Good luck, it will do wonders for your self esteem.

attempt45001 likes this.
  3. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Just looked into it, seems badass. What are you going to do to train endurance?

4. attempt45001

attempt45001 Fapstronaut

uhhhhhhm... thats a very good question. im just gonna try to run a mile every day and hope that builds me up? im open to suggestions tho....

5. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Hey @attempt45001

Nice chalenge!

So a good way to train it is by training your endurance, but also your strength for the obstacles.

For endurance, I would advise you to go for a run (a mile everyday is a good target) but ONLY BREATHING WITH YOUR NOSE. By doing so, you will train your body to be more efficient with less oxygen. Time how long it takes you to run for a mile, and progress each week (or half a week) by decreasing a little the time.
    Also, every two weeks, challenge yourself to your max distance or time breathing with your nose. That will show you how much endurance you have.

Regarding strength, a basic bodyweight training at home 3 times a week will do magic for your strength.
    - push ups variations
    - squat variations
    - pull up variations (you can either buy a bar that you fix to your door, or even go in parks to find trees etc, there is no limit. You can also buy a cheap version of a TRX)
    - bridge variations
    - abs leg raises variations

You can implement crawling, jumping, and animal movements to condition yourself (youtube is a great free resource).

Also, I would invite you to contact your local firefighters station. Tell them that you are training for a Spartan race and you would love to train with them when they go for a run or training with pole / rope climbing. They should be happy to share their training sessions with you (you can even tell them that you want to train physically to become later a firefighter).

Also, check the usual obstacles of a spartan, find them in your city (kids parks, hills, stairs, etc) and practice them!

DerSchütze likes this.
  6. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Good advice here.

Tibo87 likes this.
  7. Ender Atreides

Ender Atreides Fapstronaut

I've been training for mine in September now for a while. Keep track of your run times using an app, keep running on a regular routine a few days a week and every week run a little further/faster miles until at least once a week you're running the length of the race and the rest of the week you're keeping a consistent pace at a specific distance (kinda arbitrary depending on when you want to finish, where it's at, length of race, etc). Incorporate working out into your run and about every quarter mile (will probably be even less before you hit an obstacle in the race) do a set of a workout, do that every increment with a different workout (preferably find a park nearby that has bars). Experiment with HIIT training on days you don't run and do endurance reps of all sets you do (15-25ish for most). Other than that just fall in love with pushing yourself and working harder every single time you work out, always trying to get another set in, a little farther, faster etc. That's what endurance is all about. Also if you have any buds that do jiu jitsu that'll make a big difference as part of your routine. Best of luck to you

8. attempt45001

attempt45001 Fapstronaut

Thanks! What app do u use to keep track? I tried google for but it doesnt track accurately

9. Ender Atreides

Ender Atreides Fapstronaut

Its called runkeeper

attempt45001 likes this.
  10. attempt45001

attempt45001 Fapstronaut

i used it today, got super confused when it started talking to me, lol
    but i like it alot ty