1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Running log

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by properWood, Aug 25, 2019.

1. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Introduction

When I was a kid I used to like running. Not much, just a few kilometres every other day. Sadly, I've had a rather distressing father that could only see the negatives in anything I was doing, so I got it drilled in my head that I am not good enough for anything, let alone to run. I left home, and tried to run with my then girlfriend/spouse, but it went wrong all the way. After divorce, I decided to start running again, but I was put off by a relationship with a girlfriend that didn't think one should run and just plainly belittled my habits, so I stopped for the benefit of the relationship (nice guy syndrome). Yes, I was the weak one for not ending the relationship sooner and care more about what I like.

Motivation

I have depression since I was a kid, but now (actually a few months ago) I decided it's time to let it go. So I did the unthinkable: there's no more "no"; if I enjoy now or enjoyed something in the past, I will do it. I wanted to learn to ride a bike and was not allowed, but promised by my parents - the bike never came. So I bought now my own bike and I learnt to ride in 20 minutes; its now part of my daily life, I love it to bits.

At the same time I became extremely health conscious after watching documentaries such as "Forks Over Knives", "What the Health" and a few others. I then became aware of one man that when he was my age decided to turn his life around and became an ultra-athlete, Rich Roll; blew my mind, I have no excuse. I read his book, "Finding Ultra" and highly recommend it, not for running, but for finding motivation during adversity.

Last week I've also learnt about two other ultra-athletes, women in this case.

Courtney Dauwalter - ran 240 miles (!) and finished 10 (ten!) hours ahead of the guy in the second place.

This is a video with her from another run, of 200 miles, where she came in second:

You can find on youtube a video with her being interviewed by Joe Rogan, after she finished the 240 mile race. Mind blowing.

The second woman, Elle Goodall (Australia) went from being obese to being one of IRONMAN's ambassador. Yeah, Ironman is no longer what it was supposed to be, now you have Ultraman, but still her transformation is insane; how many of us here can run a marathon next month? Here's a short video with her transformation:

So... there's no excuse.

Goal

I don't intend to run next year's Ironman in my city, but if I can train myself to run a marathon and save some cash to get a decent bike, both for early next year, I gather my transformation will start. Who knows, in two years race some weird trial race or maybe even a triathlon if I muster the guts to re-start swimming. But let's start with running.

First step

I ran today 10km/6mi, at a slow pace. The goal today was to keep the heart rate at under 130bpm, maximum for my zone 2. Heart rate zone 2 is the best for endurance sports, such as marathons and ultra marathons. I failed dramatically, I couldn't get the heart under 135bpm at all! Absurd! I gather 120bpm would be walking for me?! I thought I was in shape, but by god... the numbers are so honest!

Why is this important? Once you exit the zone 2 lactate fills your muscles. You can run fast, but for short time - sprints. That's why after a strenuous workouts people develop sore muscles, because they pushed the energy consumption too high and lactates formed in the trained muscles.

When you don't put a lot of effort, your body relies on aerobic methods (that's fancy for "uses oxygen") to work the muscles. Once you put in strenuous effort, the aerobic methods are no longer sufficient, so the body releases lactate that helps with the breaking down of the glucose for muscle consumption. The harder you train, the more energy the muscles need, the more glucose needs to be broken down, the more lactate is going through your muscles. Result? sore muscles, post-workout pain.

So, here are the stats for the initial run (embarrassing stuff):
    Distance: 10km / 6mi
    Pace: 8:15/km / 13:10/mi
    Heart rate: average 141bm, max 156bmp
    Duration: 1:23:15
    Calories burnt: 1000

The spikes in the heart rate have been mostly generate not by change in elevation, but by... thoughts! Since I could see live the heart rate and was aware what was in my mind, I could very easily associate the thoughts with heart rate spikes - that's the biological representation of anxiety.

Working on improving the pace at low heart rates means that I can run faster (better pace), while keeping the muscles fed oxygen and not glucose (more efficient energy use), while trying to meditate (keep thoughts away, to avoid heart rate spikes).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    ifthecoppertubes and Deadpool98 like this.
  2. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

Good luck @properWood !! Great motivation!
    Any piece of advice I can give you, build slow, allow your tendons to strengthen over time, if you feel any pain at all wherever, call it a day, rest plenty.
    I'm currently healing ankle injury from going too hard too fast, after years of training. Nofap gives you that kind of energy! Look for a good plan that matches your profile if you haven't already. Best of luck!

Deadpool98 likes this.
  3. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Cheers mate! Hope your ankle heals soon :)

Deadpool98 likes this.
  4. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

Thank you. I'm going to throw myself into swimming until it's better. Looking forward to your updates.

Deadpool98 likes this.
  5. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Run #2

Summary
    Distance: 10km
    Pace: 6:44 min/km
    Time: 1h07m
    Average heart rate: 154bpm
    Outside temperature: 27C
    Humidity: 55%

IMG_4752.PNG IMG_4753.PNG

Listened to:

Changes since last run:
    - included 1km stretching, not stationary stretching
    - included 1km wind down post-run, just walking

Areas to improve:
    - body posture / pilates - after listening to the podcast, I'll probably dig into pilates to correct the body posture
    - heart rate - I think I could have easily gone 5km extra, but my goal is to lower the heart rate as much as possible. After today's run, I expect to have sore muscles, because I was way over the target heart rate.
    - new shoes - yeah, although my finances are not the greatest, I will get a new pair today. I got one nail digging into a toe, and that really sucks. Shoes are important.
    - breathing exercises - breathing technique 2:2 was nearly impossible and 4:4 was increasing my heart rate.

Notes:
    Post-run mood is on the optimistic side, a bit more energetic than before. Right now the pain in the muscles is setting in, which is not a welcome feeling. I had a cooler shower than usual, including a scrotal temperature regulation phase (that's fancy for "I cooled my balls" - sorry ladies) - this phase also regulated the mood. Had been thinking quite a bit about diet, but I will write about it in the journal.

6. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

Did you get this breathing technique out of the book? How does it work?

Deadpool98 likes this.
  7. I read all those books.
    In 2016, me: Rest Heart Rate: 32, I ran 2.400m plus per week, I swam six hours a week, I had zero body fat.
    Today, nothing of that is left, I have a heart rest rate of 50 and at lest 8kg of fat, that I should loose.

Deadpool98 likes this.
  8. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

The book, I assume you're referring to "Finding Ultra", does not give that much advice on running or any other sports, the author highlights his life mostly and key points, then gives sort of general advice on how to achieve goals. Ok-ish advice, but way better than what you find generally on the internet.

The 2:2 and 4:4 breathing technique I found from a triathlete on youtube and I think another video gives a much better explanation of the technique:

Erm... 50bpm is for extremely highly conditioned athletes... Most fit people have about 60. Heart rate of 32 is... quite absurd for an athlete even at 34 years old... Probably at 18, yeah, but not 34... Are you sure these numbers are correct?

Deadpool98 likes this.
  9. See the picture, it is 35, it pushed it down to 32 once. I was doing insane endurance workouts at that time. In the hospital the alarm was going off constantly because the computer considered it too low. I was running ultra-marathons in the mountains, up to 50 miles with 5000m positive climb. Hardcore endurance workout every day. No body fat.
    I was tired all the time. my breathing would eventually stop at night and I would wake up gasping for air... it was weird.
    An injury at the Achilles tendon stopped me. Today I am 8kg overweight, I hate it.

Attached Files:

Deadpool98 and properWood like this.
  10. Most important thing to me considering the breathing technique was to breathe through the nose, never through the mouth. If impossible, to at least inhale through the nose. When you really want to breathe through the belly, you can feel muscles, even in your throat as they are stretched, because your shoulders stay low. It reveals all kind of mobility and flexibility issues.

Deadpool98 likes this.
  11. Finding ultra is a great book. Only the last part is more or less a commercial for his products.

Deadpool98 likes this.
  12. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

@properWood thanks for the video
    @Vendettana that's amazing, why didn't you do something else like cycling, swimming?

Deadpool98 and Vendettana like this.
  13. Thank you man. I did swim. I was alternating, one day swimming, one day running. I swam Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I ran Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. On Sunday I did a hiking trip or trail skiing in winter. I could run 1000m uphill in 50 minutes, swim 100m in a minute and 4.000m in an hour. My weight was 69kg for 189cm.
    What killed me was that I never stretched and I did no muscle strengthening so eventually I got stiff and muscle imbalance have built up. The Achilles tendon got so bad that I could not walk normally and I stopped running.
    I knew that if I ever change something to my rhythm, it would break apart entirely. And so it happened. Then I had to move because of a job in Africa, my habits changed entirely and I ended up surfing twice a week and doing nothing else for two years.
    Today I totally suck, I can no longer do what I did before and it makes me sad.
    I think I could get back to where I was, but it has become difficult now to find the motivation, I'm no longer used to the load. Also, I am once more looking for a job, I am married now and I want my wife to rejoin me as soon as possible, so it is not a priority.
    But I have started running again (and I stretch), slowly at maybe 40% of my former capacities.
    Thank you for your interest.

properWood, Sinbad and Deadpool98 like this.
  14. Beyond breathing there is one more very important thing that almost all people do wrong: Your cadence. Most people run at a cadence of 140 to 160. But if you see, all good long endurance runners have a cadence of at least 170 up to 190.
    A higher cadence will shorten your stride and make sure that you use the elasticity of your muscles. And there is a lower risk of injury because there is less stress on your joints. Your also have a lower chance of falling.
    But this requires strong core muscles, good posture and flat shoes (no high heels). And in the beginning it is more difficult.

The shoes: start using thinner shoes with less drop. You don't need the cushioning, it weakens your very important feet muscles and your muscles are supposed to absorb the impact and transform it into propulsion. It also gives you more stability, especially on trails. What a bad idea: put a balloon below your feet. How is that supposed to be stable?!

Sinbad, Deadpool98 and properWood like this.
  15. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Cheers @Vendettana for the hints, much appreciated. Today I've seen some runners doing cadence likely lower than 140, falling on the heel, flat foot and then using the toes to propel forward; I noticed how much they struggled to breathe too, because of the pressure on their entire body due to this "elegant" but painful method of running.

And kudos for the fitness level. Why not do just some small runs every now and then, for the sake of keeping fit? You don't have to run ultra-marathons again

Deadpool98 likes this.
  16. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

3rd run

Summary
    Distance: 10km
    Pace: 6:31 min/km (improved)
    Time: 1h05m
    Average heart rate: 141bpm (improved)
    Outside temperature: 27C

Listened to:

My frustrating thoughts, 1-2-3-4 cadence, police sirens, dog barks and people's phone conversations (because nowadays it is rare to use the phone like a phone, people use it like a walky talky so that everyone hears their conversations).

Changes since last run:
    - kept constant, fast cadence and upright posture all throughout
    - breathing only through the nose, trying to match cadence (4 steps = breath in, 4 steps = breath out; it worked most of the time, other times the body just wanted a longer breath in, but not necessarily a longer breath out)

Areas to improve:
    - post-run massage/relaxation, because muscles seem to become inflexible

Notes:
    Good mood, happy I reduced average heart rate by a lot. The max heart rate was 156 (compared to 154 average on previous run). During the run I focused mostly on 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 cadence in my mind, but obviously unpleasant thoughts creeped in, same thoughts I didn't put on paper last night because... well, I had a couple of beers; noted. The new shoes are ok, but not amazing; low heel and harder sole than the ones I used before. Now off to wash the car for the first time in months. After that, probably a 20km bike ride. My thoughts recently have been around restarting swimming; I'll postpone though the water play, mostly because of the financial aspect (freakin' expensive here to swim).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Deadpool98 likes this.
  17. Especially landing on the heel when you run downhill on a trail, is what makes you fall. If you land on your toes and slide, then the foot rolls forward, touches the ground on its entire surface and you have a much higher probability to stop the slide. However, when you land on your heel and slide... there is nothing behind your heel, so when your foot slides forward, it will take of you and land on your butt. Also, when you're landing on the heel, you brake and this increases the chance of sliding even more.
    Pushing up the cadence is really hard, but it will make you run efficient. When you absorb the impact with your muscles, they can give you back the energy like a spring, but it is a question of some tenths of a second. If you wait, the muscle will loose the elasticity and the impact energy is transformed in heat. Then you have to use your own energy again and again, to create propulsion.
    When you have a strong core and you watch your posture, there are moments where you can really feel the energy getting in your muscles and going out again, you can feel how your whole body is bouncing, charging and discharging, this is an amazing feeling.
    If you are REALLY good, than the only energy you put in is just to stabilize, to stay upright and to keep your posture. The propulsion energy is conserved from every impact and recycled. That would be the running god itself. And the idea is to get as close to that as possible.
    Running is the best sport, it is 100x times better than cycling and 5x better than swimming. There is no better workout, it is the most complete if done properly.

I stopped because I was in Africa, the only white person in the neighborhood. The people are very kind and open minded. Many children never have seen a white person before. I was an attraction and it would have made things even more amazing if they saw me running. Just running without going anywhere, to them this is pointless.
    It was tropical climate, incredibly hot, it was a big city without any appealing environment, they don't even had sidewalks on many roads, and if they had, then there were people standing around and selling fruits. At 6pm it was completely dark and I worked longer than that. I just surfed on weekends.

but the truth is, I could have done something anyway, there was a gym, a hotel with an olympic size swimming pool... I just lost the edge because I disturbed my schedule and did not take the effort to build a new one.

Good luck with your workout. If you run regularly, you have to stretch. And it has to be intense, it has to hurt. Buy a massage ball for your feet muscles and a foam roller for the calves.

properWood and Deadpool98 like this.
  18. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I got a lot of inspiration from this:

And I'm writing this while on the foam roller. Thanks again for the advice!

Deadpool98 likes this.
  19. Before I had that fancy sport watch, that measures cadence, I was counting. During the run, I checked a normal watch and then counted each impact of my right foot. When I was around 25, I checked the watch. After 20 seconds, I wanted it to be 30 impacts, this will make a cadence of 180.

Deadpool98 and properWood like this.
  20. Deadpool98

Deadpool98 Fapstronaut

Congrats @properWood for your step to start running again. I have been running for the past 40 days and the only thing i can say is it's going get fun everyday and you will enjoy it's every moment.

properWood likes this.