1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Running log

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by properWood, Aug 25, 2019.

1. It is important to be regular. It has to fit in your everyday life. You have to be strict: Every Monday, I run from 6pm to 7pm, then I stretch for 30 minutes and I take a shower, that means I need a slot of two hours from 6pm to 8pm, every Monday.
    If you run twice a week, you need two strict days. If three, three. These days you need to fix. When your buddies suggest to go out for a beer on Monday, you will have to say: "I can't, I have some other business to finish, what about Tuesday?"

Never change that schedule. When it rains, you run, when it is cold, you run, when you kind of don't feel it, you run, when you're tired, you run, when you need to wake up early the day after, you run. When your wife needs something to be done, you say: "Honey, you know how important this is to me, let's do this on Tuesday. "
    When you go on business travel, you take your shoes and at the hotel reception you ask: "where is a hiking trail or some stadium so I can run?"

The other thing are your friends. If they laugh at you, if they smoke, eat junk and drink, they're fat and they don't encourage you, you will fail. That's why it is important to wisely choose our friends because we will become just like them. Oh, and remember the guys who say, they would do everything to achieve this and that?? Tell them: "OK, ditch your looser buddies and watch out for new ones that fit into your goals".... they won't do that. It is easy to commit verbally, but it is not enough.

If you do this, you will have a hard time for a month or so. And then it will get easier, you will see progress, it's gonna be part of your life. Two months later you will feel sad and unbalanced when you don't run.

This strategy always worked for me. In swimming, on Monday, we started at 7:30pm, we went out of the pool at 9:00p.m. When I went out of work in winter when it was snowing or raining, I had to cycle to the swimming pool that was 30 minutes away. I arrived with frozen cheeks or water drained socks. Then jump in the pool. But I did it, and after 200m, it felt OK. It also meant putting back on wet and cold socks and shoes and going out into frozen air, cycling 30 minutes home, eating and showering again (with cold water, that was my thing).

You know what fucked everything up? The internet. I was the most efficient in my life when I had a shitty internet connection. Now, where I have it everywhere, I don't manage to get my things done....
    goood luck man, stay focused, and keep the schedule.

I will run today, 450m ascent and about 7km, I climbed that in 25 minutes in 2016, now I'll need 40minutes. It is very depressing. From 2008 to 2016 no one has ever overtaken me on this route. Now it happens every time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Deadpool98 likes this.
  2. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Thats pure dedication, well done!

If you Don't know thuhis book, you should read "the oxygen advantage" Great book for breathing techniques, especially for runners!

Vendettana likes this.
  3. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

4th run

Summary
    Distance: 10km
    Pace: 6:28 min/km*
    Time: 1h04m*
    Average heart rate: 138bpm*
    Outside temperature: 17C

*improved

Listened to:
    My own thoughts.

Changes since last run:
    - changed from running at 11am, to running at 6am

Areas to improve:
    Currently seems be working ok-ish.

Notes:
    I'm switching to running much earlier in the morning, 6am (sad seeing people coming out from parties at this hour, wasted). Today's average heart rate went down again, minimum heart rate went under 130 a couple of times. I'm much more sure legged now, seems I'm able to now squat much easier than when doing... squats in the gym.

I'm not looking forward to running in the dead of winter though, at -15C, or in the chilling rain; but let's see what the future holds.

4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Funny you say this, in my log a while ago I was very upset that I was losing people from my life, people I called friends. Later on I was thankful about them leaving me or, more accurate, me cutting ties with them, we were friends because each of us was running away from the pain of dealing with our own emotions.

Now I literally have only one person that I see once a week for about one hour (not having contact with family either), the rest of the time is spent alone. From Monday things will change, i’ll start a new job, but now i’ll probably go into friendships from a point of internal security, rather neediness; no more fear of missing out, I do what’s in my best interest: health.

5. It is good to monitor how you're doing, however, keep in mind, that there will necessarily be a day and even weeks where you under-perform. Your training pace will have highs and lows, this is how it goes and it should not upset you when the next time you're slower than ever. Just keep going. And the time is not a good indicator for your performance. For instance, you running a 10k in 50 minutes might be the hell of a workout, but for this Champion from Kenia it would be a recreational jog.
    However, if you run at 80% of your maximal heart rate for an hour, and so does he, then you will have similar impact.
    So focus on your heart rate, average and there the peaks.

Running in winter is actually not that bad. When you run at a average heart rate of 140, you will not freeze. The first minutes are hard, and you cannot stop somewhere for ten minutes because you would cool down. And you will need gear: gloves, runner leggings, a buff and maybe something to keep your ears warm.

Congratulations on your new job.

I am looking for a job right now, I need to find an employement because this will allow my wife to rejoin me and I need a life. Like you, I barely have friends right now, and my family hasn't spoken to me for almost a year now, since I announced them, that I would marry my girlfriend (that is now my wife).
    I started running and working out again, the shape is coming back, slowly.

6. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

5th run

Summary
    Pace: 5:58 min/km*
    Time: 1h00m*
    Average heart rate: 143bpm
    Outside temperature: 8C

*improved
    IMG_4776.PNG IMG_4777.PNG

Listened to:
    My own thoughts.

Changes since last run:
    none

Areas to improve:
    - cold weather clothing
    - prepare pre-run snack

Notes:
    Fuckin' cold and windy, 8C. Regardless of pace, my arms were cold all the time, heart rate bumped because of the chilly weather and because I didn't eat anything upfront (say, a banana or an apple). And the wind just almost managed to kill my motivation. I'm mentally prepared for the pain of sitting down and getting up, my muscles will be sore today.

7. Get some windstopper jacket. It does not need to be expensive.

8. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

6th run

Summary
    Pace: 6:04 min/km*
    Time: 1h00m*
    Average heart rate: 153bpm
    Weather: 10C, raining cats and dogs

Listened to:
    My own thoughts.

Changes since last run:
    none

Areas to improve:
    none

Notes:
    Cold, windy and raining. Pre-workout snack: 2 bananas; post-workout snack: a lot of oatmeal with fruits. Almost one week without running, difficult to adjust considering the work; I woke up usually at 6 am, but I was a veggie on the sofa, without any energy. Also, going to bed rather early, because I wanted to have time with my thoughts, after work, so either the sleep would need to suffer or the running. In the future, I'll probably have work suffer, taking it a bit slower than I would have loved to.

Read "Living with a Navy SEAL" recently. Might implement some of the workouts from there into my schedule.

9. That's OK, keep it up. Eventually there will be a positive loopback, but you have to keep up.