Pro-Choice Christian

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Can you be Pro-Choice and be a Christian?

2. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

In 99% of cases, no (at least in my opinion) as it disrespects the sanctity of life. The main times I support abortion as a last resort are the rare cases when lives are in jeopardy, such as an 11-12 year old rape victim who’s not physically mature to be pregnant, but those are few and far between.

3. jolee80

jolee80 Fapstronaut

Big no. There is no gray area there. Thou shall not kill.

4. Technically, the verse is thou shalt not murder, but I get what you're saying.

I agree with @MLMVSS I think abortion, in general, is wrong. However, in cases where the mother's life is in danger, the choice then lies with the mother. I don't think it should just be done as a last resort birth control though.

MLMVSS and Mr. McMarty like this.
  5. Of course, in fact if you're Christian you must be pro-abortion. There's a verse in the bible which says that if a wife is suspected to be unfaithful, the husband can have a priest come over and perform a ritual on the wife which includes having her drink dirty water. If the ritual leads to miscarriage, it's apparently God saying that she's been cheating.

6. ForABetterLife20

ForABetterLife20 Fapstronaut

Um. No.

I don't normally put my foot down on things like this, but that is incredibly, incredibly wrong, especially in light of the teachings of the Gospels and the New Testament, which revolve around forgiveness, love, duty, and responsibility.

Your example is one that was a) probably mentioned in the Old Testament and b) not related to the issue above. Abortion is an evil, and to use it as a last second birth control outside the context of marriage is, like @Kamikaze_Aeroplane27 suggested, very wrong. At the most basic level, abortion is representative of freedom from choice, not freedom of choice. It's a way out of responsibility.

At the very least, you should be careful when you both use the term "pro-abortion," and you should be very careful how you define the term "pro-abortion" in and outside of a Christian context.

All this being said, people have free will and the choice to have an abortion under the government of the United States (where I live). If someone does, that does not change my duty to love them. We're all sinners. It's not my place to judge what sins are worse than others; that's God's job.

May Christ be with us always!

7. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Fapstronaut

I think that you can be a Christian and support legal abortions because a) There are many Christians who do. Abortion is an important topic, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker on whether you are a Christian or not. b) There is a difference between thinking something is morally wrong and thinking that something ought to be illegal. For example, I think that blasphemy is wrong, but I support freedom of speech.

For the record, I am a Christian and I don't support abortion, morally or legally (extreme cases where the mother's life is in danger being a legal exception), because I think it is murder. A fetus is genetically a member of the human race and, unless it is aborted, it will grow into a fully functional human being.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Mr. McMarty likes this.
  8. Of course you can. You don't have to buy into any ideology to understand that e.g. victims of rape should not have to follow through with an unplanned and forced pregnancy.

IbrahimViking likes this.
  9. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

That's not what it says. If a woman is suspected of cheating, she's taken to the priest. There she endures a process that's supposed to break her and admit she cheated. If she doesn't break and still claims to have done nothing wrong, she's given regular water mixed with a page that had God's name written on it (and obviously the water will have erased God's name). If she's guilty, she'll basically explode and die. If she's not guilty, she'll be blessed and miraculously impregnated. If she's already pregnant, then the child will be blessed.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  10. The Roman Church has always been against abortion.
    In fact, even if the Old Testament is pretty hard on these topics, the New Testament often overcomes them. Remember, for example, the adulterous woman (John, 8, 3-11):
    The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone against her". Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” “No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
    Thus, certain acts which were accepted in the harsh society for which the Old Testament had been written, but they are no longer tolerable for the sensitivity of the New Testament and even more of today.

11. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Christianity is not defined by your views on anything but Christ (and God etc.) so technically yes but in practice its un-biblical to support abortion as a Christian.

12. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Damn this thread is going to get quite heated I expect. Originally l wrote something provocative I didn't truly believe but then I edited it with this post. Some people probably would have been up in arms over it. Lol!

13. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

The funny thing is killing goes on in the Bible and sometimes God commands it. I mean I was killed by some Biblical hero. And people say there's no contradictions in the Bible.

14. Which people?

15. brilliantidiot

What?
    Edit oh you mean your new username

16. brilliantidiot

Not after Christ came, to my knowledge.

ForABetterLife20 likes this.
  17. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Some Christians. I used to be one of those Christians.

Yep

Ananias and Sapphira in the book of Acts. And I'm not a fan of separating the Old Testament from the New Testament.

18. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

The life is in the blood, and so as soon as blood is formed in that human being in the womb, this is a human life that God made for an amazing journey hopefully. And even sterilization by the wireless radiations partakes in this satanic agenda of killing human life. Because God created us before we were formed in our mother's womb, He knew us before the foundation of the world and all our days are written in His book...

vowed and Mr. McMarty like this.
  19. Blood cells start forming 3 weeks after fertilization. Therefore abortion before that is cool. Praise the lord!

20. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

God says the devil comes only to steal and kill. If you're not directly killing a human being, than stealing his or her life on this world is still abominable.

dethly likes this.