1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Beard

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MotivationWarrior, Sep 8, 2019.

1. I would like to attempt to grow facial hair just for the experience, from what I have seen I can grow at some point a beard but the problem is that after a week I will have something black around my cheeks in the where hair ends, on the mirror it looks that my cheeks are covered but nop. On a photo you only see a black-something just popping and also my glasses don't match with the growing mustache and I look like a creep.

Could you give me any tips on how to maintain a beard without looking a creep?

2. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

What motivates you to grow a beard? Even if you say "for the experience", there must be something else behind.

3. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

You just have to put up with it looking a bit weird for the first month or so. Also, definitely get some clippers and make sure it stays nicely trimmed around the edges. Nothing says "odd" like a guy with a beard that goes everywhere :)

MotivationWarrior likes this.
  4. BreakingBenjamin

BreakingBenjamin Fapstronaut

I think that shaving daily adds to your routine and makes you feel cleaner, which might prevent a relapse.

5. They say for the health benefits of UV protection and insulance for winter. Also it seems more attractive to me.

6. Avenging Marmoset

Avenging Marmoset Fapstronaut

GO FOR IT! I used to think gthat clean shaven was the way to go, but then I grew a beard and am never going back. For one, there is spiritual power in hair, and for men, in a beard in particular. Most cultures have encouraged the growing of beards amongst the most spiritual of their people. It's an antenna for spiritual energy, and wouldn't taht help you right now? Two, in this world where women go around thinking they're men-and are all too much like men-a beard is something you can do that they can't. It will this make you look like more of a man, and it's a good look for a man. It's a stand against this insane level of over familiarity between the sexes. Three: You will feel much more in harmony with your body. Think of it this way: You have always *been* growing a beard, but you just keep cutting it off. How is that in harmony with something that your body is trying to so persistently do? Stop *fighting your face* and warring against your body already and let that thing grow. Four: Do you know what an environmental, financial and material waste shaving is? You ever think of the waste that all those shaving products produce? Those razors are abhorrently bad on the environment and the price of them is so inflated that next to toner cartridges, they're one of the biggest scams there is.

If you *let* your beard grow, then at what length to keep it trimmed is up to you, but at let'ss make it look like you have it deliberately trimmed to whatever length you prefer to wear it. Don't let it get scruffy. You are not a lumberjack, so don't go around looking like one. And ALWAYS let all of it grow out...the neck and everything. A beard is only a beard when it's allowed to grow out of every inch of your face and neck that it can grow out of. Don't go getting all artsy or efete with it and shaving the neck, though I do prefer to keep the hair on my neck trimmed a bit shorter than the rest of it. You'll also be saving a lot of time: I run the hair clippers over it once a week and maybe trim the moustache back a bit so it's not hanging over my upper lip at all but that's it. Think of all the hassle you'll save yourself when you stop shaving all the time. Anywas, there ya go. Keep us up to date.

7. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

College forces me to shave daily but when I'm on vacation I let go. It feels good to stroke your chin while thinking.

Leader of ME likes this.
  8. Avenging Marmoset

How does it force you? Are you going to some ultra-strict college?

9. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

No beard or "long hair", unless you are a woman.

Tibo87 likes this.
  10. Avenging Marmoset

You need to get the hell out of that place. Is this some kind of christonazi joint? I say drop out, transfer, or get a sex change.

11. romeolima

romeolima Fapstronaut

I would say go for it, but be prepared that for the first month or so it will look a little odd.

I've spent most of my adult life clean shaven due to the regulations of the military however am now for the first time growing a beard. What I would say is be prepared for some work, a good beard takes more effort and maintenance than being clean shaven.

12. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

A lot of it is genetics but you can get a beard trimmer and try and keep it at a shorter length, kind of a heavy stubble length.

13. I will try my best. Thanks!

14. Welp in the first week at least to second, my dad would always tell me to shave because it looked odd. Also because of my age it's still hard.

15. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Poor women in your college, they have to grow a beard...
    Do they have some bonus points at least??

romeolima likes this.
  16. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

No to all of that.

Bonus points for a beard? No. It is ironic that I was told I had a beard and couldn't go in until I shaved, and the girl that told me that had better facial hair than me.

17. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Really? I'm disappointed... I thought you were in a great circus school or something... :p

18. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

I would like to grow a large handle bar mustache, unfortunately I don't think most guys our age grow full beards. Perhaps you could try some sort of topical hair growth treatment such as minoxidil.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  19. The first month is hard, because your face is getting accustomed to growing hair. You're just going to have to stick it out, there's no way around it. Yes, you're going to look like a bum for the first month or so, but there are products that help out with skin irritation.

Wash your beard every three days, and use conditioner. Don't start using oil until the hair is at least a half inch, and apply the oil daily if you can. Also, don't use a comb. A boar brush distributes the oil more evenly, and makes your beard look fuller. This is probably the most obvious, but do not start trimming until it is longer than the desired length. If you start trimming earlier than that, you may wind up making the beard look weird. Other than that, just keep in mind that the first month will be the toughest, and that facial hair is different from head hair. Washing it too often dries the skin on your face, and a little bit of oil goes a long way.

20. Spartan Shibz

Spartan Shibz Fapstronaut

I can give you some practical tips. But I want to STRONGLY encourage you to grow your beard. I've had my beard for many years now and its certainly worth it. Men will respect you more. You won't have any problems with women providing you groom it and keep it clean. It can actually enhance your masculine appeal. I've attracted very beautiful women with my full beard.

Now for the tips. Be prepared for the awkward first 30 days. It might look weird before it looks good. But persevere.

Buy a good bore bristle brush and start to tame your facial hair. Facial hair is more coarse and requires more attention.

Find glass frames and a style that work with the look that you are going for. Just Google images of beard/moustache etc.

There's plenty of youtube beard related content. But Beardbrand videos are really good for beginners. Check those out.

Reach out to me if you need more tips.