1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Have we become "phone zombies"?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Fenix Rising, Jul 1, 2018.

1. I just don't see how this is a valid comparison at all. Zombies are mindless beings with no thought to what they are doing. People who are on their phone could be reading a book, learning something new, making a sale, planning a vacation, making dinner reservations for their family, working, talking to a friend, giving support to someone in need on nofap, etc.

We are not "zombies" for using our phones often. It's not like people are just staring blankly at a screen. They're doing stuff. They're just doing it on the internet instead of in person, because we have technology that allows that now, and it makes it more convenient and possible to talk to people from all over the world, or communicate with a client immediately instead of having to waste time setting up a meeting and having them come down to your office. I mean, what would they be doing in person that would be so much better and less zombie-like for you? Going to a park? Taking a walk? While says thise things are better than reading an ebook or talking to a friend?

None of this is equivalent to being a zombie. Yall are overreacting. Just let people enjoy the entertainment that they prefer. Your preferred forms of entertainment are not better than everyone else's.

2. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

I'm sorry if I expect when I go out with a friend to put his or her phone down and actually follow conversation. It's rude if nothing else to talk on the phone while being in company of another human being. I've worked at risk management and credit swaps for big post insurance company for more than a decade and didn't accept phone calls while having conversations with other people. In worst case scenario, if it really couldn't wait, I'd talk for a minute or two and apologize to a client, friend or coworker after the call. Callers can be put on the hold 99 % of the time, even if you work in such stressful environment as trading finance. And let's be honest, how many ppl read E-books on their phones? Large majority of ppl use smart phones to access social media platforms, not for reading Hemingway. I honestly don't care what people do with their phones, but I do hate it when they use them while socializing. And it is addiction. Most of Social media platforms take advantage of our dopamine-driven desire for social validation, and it optimizes the balance of negative and positive feedback signals until we’ve become habitual users -> http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2018/dopamine-smartphones-battle-time/ even science

Tengod67 likes this.
  3. attempt45001

attempt45001 Fapstronaut

So you didnt rly want a convo u wanted a yes... also noone said anything abt ignoring someone your with

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. A ton of people read ebooks on their phones....

Sure sounds like you do to me, but okay.

My point wasn't to imply that "most" people are reading a book when they're looking at their phones. My point was to highlight that it's rude and stupid to judge people as being zombies when you have no idea what they're doing on their phones.

Also, if you think it's rude for people to interrupt their in person conversations to take a phone call, that's fine. I would agree that that's rude. But most of the people here aren't talking about that. They're simply seeing people looking at their phones and immediately thinking negatively of that person, which is dumb and arrogant. It's just a way to make yourself feel like you're better than someone else, when in reality, you have absolutely no idea how that person spends their time or what they're using their phone for.

5. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

I didn't want a yes or no, I just wanted honest observation from other people when posting this a year ago. The only thing I'm against here is comparing smartphone/social media use with book reading when it is well known fact that social media apps deliberately take advantage of dopamine-driven dopamine reward prediction error coding of our brain and books don't. Social media platforms exploit the same mechanisms as gambling slot machines. Ppl are becoming addicted and not even knowing it is an addiction. That's what scares me. I'm not against phones per se, but I am against addicting masses and not even telling them you're manipulating their brain functions behind the scene. The end result is walking zombies.

6. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

I've never written that people are stupid, but I am implying that they might be addicted to social media. It is very clear that all major social platforms exploit operant conditioning method and our dopamine driven desire for social validation to create habitual users. Attention and data mining are gold of 21. century and people are unknowingly being exploited for corporate gains. The end result is me being unable to have a drink with a buddy without him checking his phone more then 20 times per hour (I counted). That is not normal behaviour and when I looked around everywhere similar situation. Plus I noticed people have become very aggressive when I don't answer or return their call immediately. Then they get all upset when I answer them, that I'll call them back when I have time or I feel like calling. That's another point of new age phone slavery that ppl accept as a new norm, which is crazy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  7. I’m not saying there isn’t a problem and I’m not saying there is a problem. We can tend to over generalize and exaggerate something when individuals or groups of people tick our pet peeves boxes.

8. Nobody compared social media use to book reading. I simply said that people use phones for a lot of purposes, and not all of them make you a "zombie."

9. GaroldG

GaroldG Fapstronaut

I'm not sure that we've become phone zombies already, but we have an addiction. We can't live without it, we have our phones everywhere and use it almost all the time. When we get to work, school, uni or somewhere else, when we eat, when we're bored, we even sleep with it. But, otherwise, it has all the necessary things which are vital for our everyday's life. So, it's hard to say whether that situation is 100% negative or positive, I think that it's something in between.

Fenix Rising and Deleted Account like this.
  10. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

I agree, tech is awesome, it is the use of our phones that I find problematic. I've just finished reading Newport's Digital minimalism. I might try implementing his suggestions. Fist 30 days abstention from all electronic devices with exception of what you really need for work or family connection and then slowly adding back apps that have true value to you, leaving everything else for good.

11. I recently worked on a very informal research paper for my company that tracked and quantified our student's cell phone + tablet usage. We took a handful of participants (18 to 24 age group primarily) and used apps like My Screen Time to log their average daily screen time and also categorized what kind of apps were being used the most.

The students averaged just under 8 hours of cellphone/tab usage daily. Social media made up a disproportionate amount of this screen time and ranged from 30% all the way to 86% of total screen time (average was 52.5%). Entertainment apps like YouTube, Netflix and Hulu represented another large chunk of total screen time (10-20%). Study/reading apps used by most of our students such as Amazon Kindle, Sheppard Air, and Gleim represented less than 10% of total screen time. The rest were comprised of gaming and creative apps, but these times were less consistent than the others.

Obviously this paper was completely unscientific due to its insignificant sample size. We basically just wanted to get some awareness out there to the students about their cell phone usage and how it can affect learning. But still, the numbers were kind of shocking to see. Even my own numbers were higher than I thought.

People on this forum should know this more than anyone: when something is accessible, easy, and endlessly novel, it's hard to say no.

AngelofDarkness and Fenix Rising like this.