1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any stoics here???

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ed74, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

Recently read Marcus Aurelius and it's amazing how did I never know about this book. Any stoics here and has it helped you with nofap?

2. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

I'm not sure I would call myself a Stoic but yeah I've dipped my toe for sure and use some of their principles and directions to see my way through the day. I would definitely say it helps me with nofap and other life challenges, one of my mantras has become "is this all I have to contend with" I've a handful of Aurelius quotes on my phone for quick reference basically outlining the need for honesty, endurance, abstinence, patience, moderation etc

3. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I have read a little about that Roman emperor and find his teachings quite interesting and inspiring since its content is still as valuable these days as 2000 years ago. I am also about to order a book with the compilations of Marcus Aurelius' comments regarding stoicism.
    Is it something you can recommend?

sambo27 and Ed74 like this.
  4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

I'm not sure if I'd be considered a stoic, but I'm a big fan of having the responsibility of choosing your perceptions and reactions rather than blindly reacting like leaf in the wind. Focusing on the circle of influence rather than the circle of concern (all the things I can't control).

What I don't like about stoicism is the indifference to all things good or bad (correct me if I'm wrong on them being that way). Handling negative experiences in a calm manner is definitely helpful, but I also choose to feel strong emotions with positive experiences.

I also like Marcus' concept of the inner citadel.

Halpherisdusfrey, sambo27 and Ed74 like this.
  5. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

I'm new to it myself but his journal is called meditations and I find it really good and inspiring I also enjoyed the manual by epictetus who was a big influence on Marcus and also a literal slave by the way.

sambo27 likes this.
  6. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

I
    Yes I understand your point about indifference to good and bad. At what point does it become nihilism? but I do like the idea of possibly obtaining more piece of mind in adverse situations and the emphasis on resilience and doing the right thing at all costs. I could definety work on that .......again it's pretty new to me but interesting.

sambo27 likes this.
  7. vowed

vowed Fapstronaut

I'm still reading his Meditations. He's probably the highest and most virtuous expression of Stoicism.

Christianity has a similar concept, called "holy indifference". Some spiritualities call it "perfect joy". And it is very far from "not caring". In that sense I see myself similar to the Stoics.

Ed74 likes this.
  8. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Best resources for getting started in stoicism? I've heard good things about it.

9. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

Again i'm just discovering it myself but you cant go wrong with Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, i'm also reading "the obstacle is the way" but I'm not sure I like it much, it reads more like a self help book as opposed to a philosophy, but that could just be me, it gets really good reviews?

10. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

I guess self help books appeal to people.

11. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

true that

12. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I've been interested in stoicism for several years, read both Meditations and The Enchiridion (Epictetus). In addition, a bit difficult for me to read was Seneca, who was ordered by Emperor Nero to first be his guide, exiled several times and returned just as many times, and eventually was ordered by Nero to commit suicide; you'll find him under Seneca the Younger, Seneca the Elder is someone else, unrelated.

After I learnt about Stoicism and was a bit disappointed with the, in my opinion, slightly pessimistic world view that they take, I looked at other philosophies as well and recently more or less settled on three that evolved in separate geographical regions, yet share commonalities: Epicureanism (my main focus), Daoism and Buddhism. Tongue in cheek, I'm now also digging Gogginsism (from David Goggins, not a real philosopher though), which is bit of a nut job, but I believe the guy speaks the truth.

Philosophy, as a whole, I think it's a subject every person ought to research, in their quest to live a good life.

Watanabe and Ed74 like this.
  13. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

I've always been interested in buddhism but I'll be sure to check out epicureanusm and gogginsism. Thanks!

14. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Lol don’t take me serious on gogginsism, the comment was meant as to be funny :p

David Goggins is a contemporary of ours that has a very strong message and will motivate you to do painful stuff, to callous your mind. You can find a good interview with the guy on YouTube:

Watanabe likes this.
  15. Puretim

Puretim Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I wouldnt say im a stoic but im a stoic in training. Ive read the" meditations" . The discourses by Epictetus really hits it on the head. I also downloaded the letters of Seneca free on my tablet. The A.A. program as its written in the original literature and stoicism are about identical in practice . Im working toward being a 12 step stoic but have a long way to go.

Watanabe and Ed74 like this.
  16. Ed74

Ed74 Fapstronaut

Ahhh I'm familiar with those 12 steps for sure!

Puretim likes this.