1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness trackers... Do they worth it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Unjustfailure, Sep 16, 2019.

Fitness trackers... Are they worth it for motivation in general?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2020.
  1. Yes

14.3%
  2. No

57.1%
  3. I have never owned one

28.6%
  1. Unjustfailure

Unjustfailure Fapstronaut

So I'm thinking in the next months purchasing a fitness tracker.
    The logic behind is to track sleep and physical activity ( although I haven't been to a gym for a very long time) in order to have a better understanding of myself since I'm too lazy or numb most of the times to log it "manually"...
    And ultimately motivate myself with a clear goal in mind while staying clear from the couch.

Those of you that actually tried or have a fitness tracker I want to ask...:
    Are they really worth it?
    If yes which brand-model you have and how you would describe your user experience in few words?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. They are worth it if you put the data to good use.
    (For example if during a week you are below your average physical activity levels, sleep levels, etc you will know what steps to take.)
    But you can do all this without trackers too.

A41:14A likes this.
  3. Do it. I have had my Fitbit Charge 2 for over a year now, and I love it. It keeps you accountable, tracks your steps, sleep patterns, and you can use the app to track your progress, log food, and participate in challenges. You also earn badges over time. The helicopter badge is the overall elevation you've climbed over time. I earned the Everest Badge earlier this year. It's hard to imagine that I have traveled uphill enough on foot to equal the elevation of Mt. Everest.

There are downsides, of course. The heart rate monitor is off, but it gives you a rough idea of your cardiovascular fitness and VO2 max. I have no clue what that entails, but mine is very poor.

4. Save the money and get back to the gym. You will make new friends and more progress. The gym will help you stay regular, erase depression, help regulate eating and extend your life. Come on, I have so much energy I go after all is done, at 10 pm. Sleep like a baby.

5. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I have a fitness tracker -- a pretty expensive one, too. It overestimates the number of steps I take by at least a factor of four. The technology for these things just isn't there.