1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Low quality social life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MountainGiant, Sep 16, 2019.

1. MountainGiant

MountainGiant Fapstronaut

I'm so disappointed with my current social life. Things aren't fun as they used to be, I probably got more self-aware or grown-up.
    It's been like this for months, in fact, it might be over a year. This state of affairs lead me to me feeling guilty of doing this thing, which is maintaining those low-quality friendships as I perceive them. I believe it's bad for me as I recently only get frustration from that or simply disappointment in my own life because I keep going on like this.
    I have very few quality friendships and those are most of the time long-distance. We're social creatures so that is another factor/reason I keep on going this way (I can socialize more often, I guess).
    I believe that I should just move on and await new friendships as they will come sooner or later. In the past, I did a similar thing and it's been YEARS of loneliness, but somehow I get my shit together and moved forward. Although it's been a hard time for me.
    Another thing is I tend to form those low-quality friendships because of my bad habits, which I'm fighting. It's easier for me to form low-quality/bad relationships than quality ones, so that's why I'm afraid. I have bad-habit urges so that's the main reason I keep on going with those people I guess. I try to focus more on the good habits and each time it's getting stronger I tend to relapse and back to the zero. My energy gets consumed in ways I don't want to. The good thing is that I meet with my current social circle less frequently and don't feel right about it.
    I'm basically meeting with people and get drunk each time, which leads me to disappointment and anger that is the only way we spend our free time.
    Besides, I feel like I don't have much to offer myself because I deteriorated so much in the last ~2 years. Like, my whole progress or most of it has been erased because of mindless partying or hedonistic lifestyle, dunno how to put this in words. And that feeling hit me really hard when I approached girls (I did this maybe 2 times?), that after some time I had no follow-up plan or lacked self-confidence.
    Besides that my life, fortunately, isn't a total mess. I have a stable job which can be stressful at times but it's not bad, I'm fine with it. Got some money saved up so I don't have to worry much about this as I used to back in time and I'm capable of doing great this if I'm really dedicated.
    To sum things up, I think I don't need those low-quality social life anymore and its time is passing. I should be preparing for new friendships and relationships in my life which are on my way.
    But should I really throw them away? Or keep the contacts to absolute minimum or is it too dangerous because I can be sucked in again?

2. What steps do you think will help you develop a better social life?

3. MountainGiant

I believe that is:
    - taking care of myself mentally, spiritually and physically (tbh I've neglected all those areas in the last months)
    - develop my interests regularly
    - going out of my comfort zone
    First I need to take care of myself, then I can go conquer the world, I guess.

The problem is that I lack energy/drive to do things and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
    I want to keep going with nofap, I know it's helpful because I used to be more into it and seen the benefits. But the urges are here, and it's not only P but all the bad habits.

Also regarding my current social life; as I feel I don't belong there, is it because I was brain-washed by self-improvement stuff (videos, books)? Or is it just the fact that I don't want to live a vain lives like my friends do?

4. I wish you all the best. I'm on the autistic spectrum so I know how difficult it can be to make friends, before I went to church I was a complete mess friendwise. Perhaps it still is, I don't really hang out with too many people just occasionally at home doing nothing really. Im content with the way things are, have never really been a social butterfly but it is nice to get out of the house once in a while.

5. Start slow.
    You can set 2 days out of 7 in a week to go out. This way you will not get tired and you will slowly start coming out of your shell.

You can find better friends. Join a reading club or something. Ideas are limitless. A quick Google search will give you tens of different ideas.

Robinthehood likes this.
  6. MountainGiant

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.
    I think for the good start I will take a few days off and try my best to focus on my goals.

Other than that, any of you have experienced a similar situation? Is it better to stay all alone or with a bad company?

Robinthehood likes this.
  7. The Consigliere

The Consigliere Fapstronaut

The key is to keep your circle small and tight. My dad told me a long time ago that one of the best things he has done is to keep the number of his real friends less than the 10 fingers on his hand. I didn't really understand that until recent years. You don't need a whole bunch of friends or have to want everyone to be your friend. But if that's the type of person you are, go for it! Just learn how to filter out people who are actually compatible, but challenge you (in a good way), and those who are low quality and don't provide any benefit in your life and vice-versa. Having a few close friends is all I really need and what most people probably need.

Along with this, having only a few close friends that can make you happy and push you forward in life gives you a lot more time to focus internally on what you need out of life to be happy and to succeed. What's better for someone struggling in life: having a million friends and being at a low point in life or a few great friends who push you forward at a low point in life? I think the choice is pretty clear.

I came across this channel "SPIRITUAL So" not too long ago. And I really like this video in particular because it helps get my point across effectively. It's actually the video that came to mind as I read through your post.

MountainGiant and Robinthehood like this.
  8. Seeking Inspiration

Seeking Inspiration New Fapstronaut

I think i’m going to a similar situation. At the same time that I wanna make new friends, I don’t. It’s really confusing. I have just a few friends, but they are not really close to me. It’s just some people that i made friendships at work, or in college.
    It’s really hard to go out with them, because I lost contacts with some of them after changing work, and they just hang with their other friends.
    I really wanna make them closer friends, but every time I think Im the only one calling up to them, they never look for me. Just one, but we only exchange massegers. By the way i’m really shy, and anxious, so that difficult things.
    My goal is to make new friends with girls, I think I don’t have any. :/

9. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Okay, so you wish to start going out of your comfort zone and finding new friends? That's good.
    And you want to be a better person and do things that are more fulfilling and beneficial for yourself? Absolutely wonderful!

And I'm sure that drinking and going to parties less often is a great way to get the energy required to accomplish these things. That and a certain level of good old self-discipline.

However the question about wether or not you should cut out your current friendships, in which partying is usually involved, is the question I'll try to answer.

First of all to me it seems like you blame your friends for your hedonistic lifestyle and thus for the fact that your life has been going a downhill. Stop that. Right now. The first rule of having power over your own life is to take responsibility for your actions. Did they drag you to the parties against your own will? Did they force you to drink? No, you did that to yourself. Whatever your reasonings might have been at the time, it was all you. Accept that and then we can move on.

It appears to be that you don't have anything against your friends as people, but rather the fact that you end up drinking and partying with them. You need to ask yourself if you would like to have them around in your life if you didn't have to ruin your own life for it to happen. If your answe is no, you can stop reading this and just forget about those friends. What good are friends if you don't really want them in your life? If the answer is yes, that should be your first and foremost goal.

Now the part about not ruining your life is easy. We agreed a couple of moments ago that you were the one responsible for your life all along. Now we are going to use the power you gain from taking responsibility. You will decide that no matter what happens, you wont drink and party any more than you have deemed healthy and good for yourself. Wether you want to go total absolutist or just drink less is up to your own judgement. Nevertheless you'll decide what your personal boundaries are and then stick to them no matter what happens.

The part about keeping those things might be a little bit more tricky, because you don't have absolute control over that. You need to decide if you're okay with just partying with them less often or partying with them without getting drunk yourself. If you decide to go one of these routes, your friends will propably tease you about it, but as long as they can accept your life choices and you can take the teasing with humor, you should be okay. If these solutions don't fit your higher goals, you'll need something else to do with these friends in order to keep them in your life. The tough part is that you are going to need to be the one to initiate something that you could do together. This is where we return to what we talked about earlier. You are directly responsible for shit that goes on in your life. You can't just wait and see if someone else just happens to conveniently fill all your wishes for you. Come up with something fun to do and suggest it to your friends. You can tell them that you're tired of just drinking every time you meet or you can leave that out and try to be more discreet about that if you want to. It's possible that they just don't understand that they could have fun without alcohol and in that case you'll have to accept that maybe you weren't meant to be anymore, but on the other hand you could find a new way to have great time with these them and your friendsip could develop a lot.

But hey, that's just my two cents on the matter. You don't always need to cut losers off your life in order to develop. Sometimes you can take those losers with you on your way to greatness.

need4realchg and MountainGiant like this.
  10. Robinthehood

Robinthehood Fapstronaut

One thing I've realised is that even people whom sometimes id feel were bad for me ( always negative or downer) have their days to shine. Also, how I perceive others and connect with them is often a reflection of how I'm feeling. Though its often a good rule of thumb to limit or avoid people who don't bring positives into your life, there are still benefits. Sometimes any interaction is good.

11. MountainGiant

Watched the video, really liked it. Straight message. The so-called "friends" are only dragging me into bullshit indeed.

You have as many people in your life as you need right now, someone once said.
    Don't make friends for the sake of just having them, it can end badly or at least those friendships will be unremarkable, worthless sometimes - you gotta trust me there.

First of all, thank you for the very insightful post.
    It is my own fault as I went to a downward spiral and was going out for the sake of getting high or whatever. It was my choice and it was bad, I recognize this.
    And as I am mad at myself I was mad at them, even criticized their behavior which was hypocrisy on my part.

You know, people have their good sides. But I'm afraid that the bad ones can drag me down because who keeps company with wolves, will learn to howl.
    So I'm not quite sure about the answer. Am I too paranoid or what? On the other hand we like certain people because of their good sides and we accept the bad ones. So the question is: are the good sides outweigh bad ones? That is something I need to think about.
    I'm afraid the answer might be "no", considering how I feel in recent times and how I feel it holds me back as I mentioned in OP.

In the past I was able to throw away bad connections and it turned out to be good step for myself. Alternatively I met some people very rarely only to find out I made a good decision.
    Good point, I need to set myself some limits regarding going out with people. Perhaps when I will spend more time & energy on self-development I will not be as bitter as I am right now and going out will bring me more joy instead of feelings of anger.
    I see it in a way that going out might be some kind of self-celebration that I worked on in the recent time and can let myself drink those few nice beers.
    But everything in moderation, I think I'm already good enough at this and as I see someone's too damn wasted I feel disgust and decide to leave soon on my own. And then yeah, feeling of disappointment occurs, in others and myself that I spend low-quality time, I guess.

It might be true that I should give more from myself, like initiating something more ambitious than simply going out for a drink. It would strengthen the boundaries but on the other hand, it might as well in medium/long-term lead to me relapsing to this bad lifestyle.

Yes, we're social creatures so interaction with other human beings is good for us. That's why it's so hard for me to ditch some relationships.
    But isn't those fears because of our natural instincts?

. . .
    Thank you all for replies, although I'm still very confused. :emoji_disappointed:

12. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I think in order to figure out wether you're being paranoid or if your will isn't yet strong enough to take the bad influences, you should at least try balancing your life between keeping these friends and developing yourself. You can't know what your boundaries and weaknesses are if you always shy away from danger.

Alternatively you could have a break from these friends. Try to be without them for a while and get used to your new lifegoals. When you feel your will is stronger and you're sure that this way of life is what you want, you can try to meet with your friends and see if they'll drag you right back down or if you'll be strong enough to stand your ground.

You might notice in either case that your friends are just so much against your new way of life that you can't take it or you might be suprised: they might be really supportive or try to do join you on your way to greatness or you might be able to resist the temptation to give in. Nevertheless you'll know you at least tried to fight for your friends and give them a chance instead of abandoning them. And that's important, because friendship is a pretty great thing, the importance of which you can't really comprehend before you have been close to losing it against your will or had to live without it.

13. BigBallOfFire

BigBallOfFire Fapstronaut

I feel ya man. Im in my 2nd half of 30s and its been a lonely road. Since I cut out all the toxic lazy people (like you just describe you mingle with) its even more lonely, but I couldnt get back to those kind of void relationships. They are fake. People often talk behind their backs, and all of them feeling the same as you - ''how do I get out from here'' hehe well you need to become the change you want to see in others. Just stop drinking. Its pointless and it poisons your body. But its not a guarantee you will meet a tons of healthy friends. It all takes a lot of time. At least for me. I am only now slowly VERY slowly starting to meet here and there some people of better quality just like the universe is still uncertain which way I have chosen for the future me.

Mithras likes this.