1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here have panic attacks?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mistersofty, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I think I've been having panic attacks, especially at night when I should be sleeping. I don't think it's nofap related because I've been relapsing here and there over the past few weeks. Also, it's started a few weeks ago after a stressful event.
    For those of you who've had them, what are your symptoms like?
    How long did the episode(s) last? How frequently did it occur? What helped to get rid of them?
    I'm at my wits end with this. Last night I woke up with a racing pulse and ended up walking around the neighborhood in the middle of the night during the pouring rain. I'm scared there might be something wrong here.

2. Yes, yes I do.

I have a kind of DEFCON system when it comes to panic attacks. At DEFCON 5, everything is okay, but at DEFCON 1 a panic attack is just imminent.

My symptoms...well, I guess it's on a sliding scale, kinda depends on what triggered my panic. My symptoms ranged from just heavy and rapid breathing to rolling on the floor, kicking and clawing at my head like I was having a seizure or something.

My episodes build up over time, but before I can fully let out a panic attack I immediately try to find a bathroom and lock myself in there, which is how nobody else knows about the scale of my attacks. They usually last maybe anywhere between 5 minutes to 15 or so.

They happen about once every month or so. I don't know if there is any way to get rid of them, I just live with them and look out for warning signs to keep myself and others safe. I am going to go to a screening at a physician's in early October so we'll see if I have any serious mental stuff going on.

As far as waking up in the middle of the night with a racing pulse goes, I'm afraid I don't know what to do that'll help. I dunno, maybe your panic attacks are different than my panic attacks, but I'm convinced that I can't really get rid of them, but I can adapt to them. Have you tried melatonin or other sleeping aids? If you're using Windows 10, you can turn on Night Light mode which will kill the blue light emitting from your screen to help you sleep.

Hope you find out what's going on soon!

3. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I do use melatonin occasionally and it's quite helpful except that it loses its effectiveness when I take it regularly. I think I'm gonna go get a psychological evaluation as well. Maybe proper medication can help me to relax and stop getting so worked up, assuming I don't actually have some sort of medical complication. Good luck to you friend.

Solomon435 likes this.
  4. N0thing

N0thing Fapstronaut

Meditation will cut things down ALOT, but it takes time to learn. The Headspace app helped me a lot when I was having a lot of panic attacks. It does costs you a little bit, but it's worth it. You'd be suprised what 10min a day will do for you. Good luck!

Solomon435 and Mistersofty like this.
  5. You're not alone. I applied for jobs recently and at every stage felt that I was going to the gallows, even though this is illogical and unnecessary. Luckily, most of these fears are bullshit.
    Also panicking a lot in work now (especially in the days after edging), but it does get better!
    Do the healthy stuff (exercise, rest, meditation, good food, hydration, patience etc) and things get better, they say.
    I'm certainly in a better place than a few days ago.

Solomon435 and Mistersofty like this.
  6. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Yeah, I used to have the headspace app but I got tired of paying for it. I had a good streak of daily meditation going for awhile and I must say that it was a very peaceful time in my life. I wish I stayed with it because now I can't seem to rediscover that tranquility.

Solomon435 likes this.
  7. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Yeah, I'm still at a point where I'm concerned about a possible health issue, but it's like you said..it's all just in my mind most likely. It's crazy how your mind and body can mimic serious health conditions. Enough to keep my mind going in a loop which keeps the tension ramped up.
    I actually live quite a healthy lifestyle aside from a few drinks here and there. Still trying to decide whether or not I should go to the doc or just wait this out. Super uncomfortable anyway,

Solomon435 likes this.