1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Development of Interests

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MercaMerca, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MercaMerca

MercaMerca Fapstronaut

Being at the Beginning of the Journey let me think a lot about Goals and Interests. Thinking about my Interests, i have to admit that I havent got any. Don't get me wrong, I am interested in different Topics, but there is no really deep interest. The only real hobby at the moment is my daily workout, which i ve been started 2 month ago.
    But I won't call it a hobby, I think it is deeply necessary to get back in Shape.

So, my Question to you. How did your Interests developed ? Did you set some Goals up ? Or did they developed by themselves and you felt what you wanted to do ?
    I feel there is a Danger of relapsing, if quitting PMO, without a substitute. On the Other Hand setting up Some Interests (e.g. learning a language) feels quite artificial at the moment.
    The Only Goals actually are somekind of operational life organizing Things. But Life organizing aint a hobby for me, it is more or less necessary. And of course University, but i see this more like a Job.

BreakingBenjamin likes this.
  2. Daedaleus

Daedaleus Fapstronaut

Weight lifting is a hobby, especially if you enjoy it. I think from interests comes from the name... being interested in something. Whether you casually run across it or do some thinking/searching to find it doesn't matter. My hobbies have come from both. Don't be afraid to seek and try out new activities that you think you might enjoy. If you find yourself feeling like you're forcing yourself into a hobby then I wouldn't recommend doing it; unless that activity has greater benefits such as exercise, but I would recommend finding a form of exercise that you would like.

MercaMerca likes this.
  3. I was/am in the same boat. I got tired of all these 'follow your passion' advices as I simply didn't have/had any!

What helped me to get a better view at it:

Social interaction and friends!
    everything becomes more meaningful wit other people.

Stop wasting time with things you don't want to persue, i.e. realize the things you don't want to do and try to reduce them.

Stop distracting yourself with things you don't want to do and embrace boredom!

So that is my best advice I can give to you:

After I quit this mindless gaming, those stupid Netflix series that never get to a point, all this scrolling on social media or 9gag - I had a lot of free time.

Be aware of the time. I sometimes simply lied down in bed and was alone with my thoughts. Sometimes I was so incredibly bored I simply wanted the days to end - because I couldn't distract myself anymore. This was good! It made me realize that days are endless and that I have tons of time.

Then I started trying stuff out. Hiking, singing, anything really that seemed interesting in my head. After some time you will at least get more clarity about what you can persue.

1. Stop distracting yourself
    2. Be with your Boredom
    3. Figure put the things you don't want! (which is easier than figuring out stuff you do like)
    4. Try out new things that at least sound good in your head (search for a hobby list for inspiration) be open for new, unconventional things.
    5. Be patient. It is going to take quite some time

MercaMerca and Anonymous86 like this.
  4. BreakingBenjamin

BreakingBenjamin Fapstronaut

You can learn an instrument, or get a degree or be a fidget spinner master.

MercaMerca likes this.
  5. MercaMerca

MercaMerca Fapstronaut

Well, thank you for your answers. I should be patient. Even though I am very motivated at moment, I dont have to decide everything now.
    @Informius These Advices are really helpful. Wouldn't you mind, if I quote them in my Journal (Which I will start writing soon) ?

6. No not at all! Just give me a notice when you started it so I can follow it! ;)
    Maybe we come up with better and better ideas along the way!

MercaMerca likes this.
  7. MercaMerca

MercaMerca Fapstronaut

You asked for a notice, here it is: Part One of my Journal is now online.